It followed me home (Part 2)

Okay then, here's an article with a photo of President Lincoln's group of 6 shots from Spencer's (Sharps) .50 caliber repeating rifle:

BookReaderImages.php

https://archive.org/stream/abrahamlincolnre00unse#page/n2/mode/1up

"War of The Rebellion"....A great article and a great read!!
"South Manchester", just "Manchester" now... silk manufacturer to rifles!!!
Wish our media wrote like this still...such descriptive prose. Reads like a story not blocks of facts.

Thanks Steve!!
I have been bookmarking when you add a link :)

Between Collins, Rogers and Billings & Spencer...I have a bit of CT history to search for now at the garage/estate/tag sales in my parts!!
B&S made C clamps also...
BcLuo98.jpg

Okay then, here's an article with a photo of President Lincoln's group of 6 shots from Spencer's (Sharps) .50 caliber repeating rifle:

BookReaderImages.php

https://archive.org/stream/abrahamlincolnre00unse#page/n2/mode/1up

Great read!!
"War of The Rebellion".
South Manchester...just Manchester now.
They don't write like this anymore!!

From silk manufacturer to rifles!!
And C clamps too
BcLuo98.jpg

Such rich history in my backyard and in my garage and tool boxes!!
Billings and Spencer, Collins,
R mfg co Very Best 78...

http://alloy-artifacts.org/billings-spencer-company.html

It’s marked with what I think is the name “Otto” on one side and “Frank Strejc” and “OGS” on the other.

FWIW, an almost identical stamping from Billings & Spencer appears in this Scientific American article from 1890 (bottom center):

The listed weights are different, and the orientation of the stamp on the hammer head is different, but the stamp looks identical, except for "THE".

From the link by Agent_H quoted at the top of this post:

"In 1915 Billings & Spencer raised additional capital to fund expansion, and the company name was changed to "The Billings & Spencer Company" as part of a reincorporation. An article on page 903 of the October 30, 1915 issue of Automobile Topics entitled Billings & Spencer Capital Increased notes that the capital had been increased to $300,000 and the company reincorporated, with a slightly different name. (The small change in the company name turns out to be useful in estimating manufacturing dates.)"​

Bob

1915 restructuring and expansion. Excellent source of information!!!
Thank you RJDankert! I am really digging into Billings & Spencer, as usual anything in or from CT gets me.

Um, there is a whole lot of A-1 sleuth in this forum!

It's funny how $3 can bring entertainment to so many. The wrap was hiding a small lift in the grain - cleaned it out, glued it, and set it the sun to dry.
Pretty much disappears to the eye and hand.

The bottom of the handle is stamped 2 1/2 as well - the mention of care in hanging is a lost virtue today.

So many great tools. The broad/hewing axe in the rear is equipped with a beautiful handle.

I've always wondered and never asked but why does the linesmans hatchet have a square hole in the blade?

"BELL SYSTEM HATCHET... Numerous examples have been observed that include a square opening cut through the hatchet blade. Such hatchets are referred to as hatchet-wrenches because the square opening accommodated the square bolt heads used to secure different apparatus to utility poles."

From http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Stanley Axes.html

Thanks guys for mentioning that hatchet wrench!
Stevetall I will read that link up in a few after my mother in law leaves...I just got the eye ball from the Mrs LOL!!
...but Stanley is a CT tool Co and I am a sucker for anything CT!! Thanks!!

So. It didn't follow me home, rather my mum(mother in law), came for a visit bearing this little beauty as a gift to me!
Wb8FCjh.jpg

I am not familiar with the mark, and since my wife and family are all from Great Britain, the story told to me today, this could be grandad's from England...passed on to my wife's oldest brother whom now lives in Texas!
Yes I am a CT Yankee married to a Brit :)

sJNJtsg.jpg

XsCBbWY.jpg

QX9ap0l.jpg

EoyIjSj.jpg

There he is...little guy, I can't wait to use him!!!
I did not find any other obvious markings so far other than the one pictures, and I have cleaned it up a bit using a rag and WD-40.
Knowing what maker and era is all I am curious about, if its from England that will just make it easier for me with my wife to keep going to the garage every free moment LOL!!!

Thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing your opinions and learning more about this hatchet but more so, learning more about the processes used in identifying.
Thanks again!

Miller from CT

A similar hatchet was discussed earlier, with raised lip around cutting edge and a backwards capital B with an underline, but no positive ID was made.

...a hatchet head...raised lip around cutting edge... Makers marks appear to be 2 asterisks or X X on right side at hammer side, with a 3 underneath, then a backwards capital B with an underline. Weight is 1 pound 3 oz...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/raised-cutting-edge-hatchet-help-identify-please.1439264/

As soon as I read the posting in the link that mentioned cast, I agree 100% it's cast.
It feels like cast, and it looks like cast as I cleaned it up a bit.

If it looks like, smells like, even tastes like...it must be.

Miller

Back