I've been working on a frame lock design!

You can put together a network of drilled PVC pipes with a shop vac as a central collector to cut down on the suspended particles. I built a system along those lines for a cigar room, and if it drastically eliminates even the smell of tobacco, I'm sure it will be effective enough for dust.

You can put together a network of drilled PVC pipes with a shop vac as a central collector to cut down on the suspended particles. I built a system along those lines for a cigar room, and if it drastically eliminates even the smell of tobacco, I'm sure it will be effective enough for dust.

That is a great idea! I will have to try that.

Yes please take care of your lungs and fingers : ) Damn! Starting a business/keeping it going is expensive. Thank you for making your knives, I know that what future blades/folders I get from you will bring me enjoyment for many years.

Yes please take care of your lungs and fingers : ) Damn! Starting a business/keeping it going is expensive. Thank you for making your knives, I know that what future blades/folders I get from you will bring me enjoyment for many years.

Much appreciated!

Yes running a business is tough. I have been self employed for a good while now, almost 10 years and there is never a dull moment! I have tried all sorts of things and the knives are the most fun and the most work... the most rewarding!

Improved lock geometry, possible lock bar just drawn up, changed up standoffs

FolderNov25-1.jpg

The PVC pipe for dust collection might not be a good idea. I have heard that if it is used in a woodworking shop it will create a buildup of static electricity which could ignite the infinite amount of wood particles present in the air and cause an explosion. Old wood mills would never allow an employee to smoke or light a flame of any sort for that reason (or so I hear).

Yes running a business is tough. I have been self employed for a good while now, almost 10 years and there is never a dull moment! I have tried all sorts of things and the knives are the most fun and the most work... the most rewarding!

That is not hard to believe at all. I am filled with both dread and excitement with the prospect of being self employed. Keep up the good work!

Lock geometry, what fun! ;) :p

I've been researching lock geometry the past few days, it's amazing how involved it is.

Am I correct to assume that the closer the lock cutout is to the center axis of the pivot the stronger the lock is going to be?

Yes. There are about 5 major aspects to lock geometry that all effect each other. I'd have to write a book to really explain it well but that is correct.

The lock should be "under" the pivot as much as possible; of course this can not really be done (other stuff plays in) but you want to get it close. Having the lock interface closer to 6:00 pushes the lock bar back as opposed to lifting it. The further you get to 3:00 the more the bar wants to lift; lock rock or blade play is the outcome.

Location is 1000 times more important that the contact area in the lock too; in fact a lot of contact closer (higher) up the pivot will also lead to rock or blade play.

The Triangel is key to lock geometry... so i'm told.

That is true in a lot of ways; triangles build strength. You could have a stop almost anywhere though so that is an exception to the rule.

Cool!
Daniel- Have you considered a hidden blade stop?

Eventually I might try one. Right now I'm going with a 1/4" stop, mega heavy duty. I want a lot of contact area around the pivot fro lateral strength too; this design maximizes that.

I'm one step closer to the folders... actually a few! My biggest expense this year has been getting some excavation work done for my shops 100 amp power. I got a quote yesterday and it should be done within a week!

I also have the dust collector coming in any day now. My mill will be next!

I have gotten some great feedback from some major knifemakers on the design and they say it looks great! I am going to tweak it a bit more and it will be on soon! I'm still hoping to have a prototype by the end of this year. :D

That's good news, Daniel. I still want one out of your first run. Looking forward to it.

saw the new rendering on USN, looking good with the tweaks. if i can make a suggestion, it would be to have bigger washers.

saw the new rendering on USN, looking good with the tweaks. if i can make a suggestion, it would be to have bigger washers.

Thanks! I will have the biggest washers that will fit in, it will all depend on my final lock bar placement. The non lock side will have a massive one. Phosphor Bronze or Nylatron for the washers...

I am very close to the final design now! I have changed it up some after uploading this, the blade is longer/taller and the lock is closer to being drawn in.

The pivot I am using is just massive and the .25" stop is as big as I have seen. It has taken me hours on end getting the massive stop to work with everything but it was worth it; I feel the geometry is as rock solid as it can be.

Untitled-83.jpg

Back