I've been working on a frame lock design!

Hey Daniel, will your folders have a strong detent? I sure hope so, my favorite folder's detent is not very strong and it hurts my heart. Thick blades need strong detent. Jake Hoback has the HRD system which is RAD, but I think the frame lock scale has to be at least .190" to insert. Not sure how thick you plan on making your knife scales. Jake's an awesome Dude, not sure if you've ever crossed paths etc. He posts a lot on youtube too.

Anyway, dreaming of a new favorite non-flipper folder my Fairly Folder : ) Will you have any of that sweet sunburst yellow or ivory looking G-10 available? I may have to score some and save it for next year. Later...

.315 modified tanto all ti oh the suspense is to great to bare..

Man this is gonna be epic

Ooooohhhh, all Ti is a sexy vision. gonna need a belt or pants will be draggin with full Ti 0.310" blade haha. Daniel, you should offer a belt with those orders , or at least some 550 paracord : )

Hey Daniel, will your folders have a strong detent? I sure hope so, my favorite folder's detent is not very strong and it hurts my heart. Thick blades need strong detent. Jake Hoback has the HRD system which is RAD, but I think the frame lock scale has to be at least .190" to insert. Not sure how thick you plan on making your knife scales. Jake's an awesome Dude, not sure if you've ever crossed paths etc. He posts a lot on youtube too.

Anyway, dreaming of a new favorite non-flipper folder my Fairly Folder : ) Will you have any of that sweet sunburst yellow or ivory looking G-10 available? I may have to score some and save it for next year. Later...

Strong detent for sure, that is something I can make sure is perfect through lots of measuring. I want it to be easy enough to open but never open in the pocket.

Hoback - I am a huge fan, his knives rock and he is a cool guy as well. I know the system you speak of. Good stuff there...

I may have to make some with that Micarta, is is the old Westinghouse material. That would be a cool contrast with the grind and Ti. I think that could be possible to do, I will know after I make a couple.

I can probably do most micarta and G10, not too sure on the handmade stuff (krypto) though yet because of rigidity. The first ones will be all Ti frames, I even consider a frame lock with added scales... mega linerlock I guess you could say but it will be the framelock with added scales. That is just an idea at the moment...

FUll anodized scales too, I want some in all green.

.315 modified tanto all ti oh the suspense is to great to bare..

Man this is gonna be epic

:cool: good to hear!

Ooooohhhh, all Ti is a sexy vision. gonna need a belt or pants will be draggin with full Ti 0.310" blade haha. Daniel, you should offer a belt with those orders , or at least some 550 paracord : )

Exactly! I have some 1000# cord... :D

I plan on it being as light as it can be at least, I might even mill out the frames on the inside a bit.

Hmmm, you know Daniel, I don't own a big beefy folder. I think I may have to jump on this one hen you get rollin...

-Xander

Hey Daniel, is there any reason a 1/16" set screw with the point rounded and polished wouldn't work as an adjustable detent?

Not sure if I actually said this earlier in the thread, but I love your folder design, it's like a Strider blade with a Fairly handle mixed with a healthy dose of awesome sauce!

Wow, thanks for the compliment Daniel! I still have a long ways to go but I'm having a blast getting there :D

You have an eye for design, something that is hard to achieve no matter what. ...But then you are really pulling the designs off as well, good stuff there.

Hmmm, you know Daniel, I don't own a big beefy folder. I think I may have to jump on this one hen you get rollin...

-Xander

Sounds good Xander, I will do a thread sometime soon... once everything is lined up I will have 10 or so spots for the initial run and you are on the list if that sounds good to you! Just remind me when the time comes. :D

Hey Daniel, is there any reason a 1/16" set screw with the point rounded and polished wouldn't work as an adjustable detent?

Not sure if I actually said this earlier in the thread, but I love your folder design, it's like a Strider blade with a Fairly handle mixed with a healthy dose of awesome sauce!

hey good idea! I have a somewhat foolproof detent method but I really like it!

That really makes my day with the Strider comment! I am a huge fan. I want the beefy spearpoint with my ergonomic handle, it is cool you see my vision! If I get it all right I think it will be unbeatable. One thing is I always want to make the knife that I want to carry and this is it.

I went back and stealth edited my post.

What I meant by full Ti was, full titanium handles. I prefer a good stainless steel for my blades.

Sounds like your first run will be exactly what I'm after.:thumbup:

I went back and stealth edited my post.

What I meant by full Ti was, full titanium handles. I prefer a good stainless steel for my blades.

Sounds like your first run will be exactly what I'm after.:thumbup:

I knew what you meant but at first thought all Ti... :D darn terminology! I was at the grinder a bunch today...

I like it all and eventually I will do a Ti blade but agree, steel is really the way to go for the blade itself; at least on 90% of them. The all Ti frame will really be solid.

Thick, all-Ti frame, beefy pivot, thick blade in a steel like CPM-D2, CPM-M4, high HRC S7, or 52100. Drop-point harpoon double grind with a zero edge and a convexed tip.

Basically, something like this with a double grind and some type of a choil...that folds into a titanium handle. :)

304.jpg

I will be your first customer Dan!! I like D2! A swedge would be a good idea! I say nea to the chisel grind though. Not a fan. Probably be a deal breaker for me!

Sorry Strideco, you better get in line ha ha. Daniel, Green anno is what I've been dreaming of, this is gonna be some gnarly folder out put Sir. Can I get on the list for two? My second spot right behind Striderco? ; ) Seriously, have you closed your book? I will need two. one to carry and one above the fireplace etc.

Yeah, green ano frame and D2 steel would be pretty cool, for sure. How's the schedule for a folder looking, Daniel?

This looks exactly like a folders ive been making, or atleast the prototypes, ive been testing it in different orentations. d2 hrc 62 steel, full flat grind. Its a friction folder, but hey, its my first folder and id rather test it out than ruin a nice peice of titanium. its pretty cool that badass knife makers like you have the same idea of a good knife that i do! Sorry for the bad image quality, i dont have a very nice camera, but youve got the idea.
XXnbL.jpg
AJ8tD.jpg
qwJMe.jpg

ive still got to set the screws in, but its easier if there not right now, ive been doing alot of screwing and unscrewing with em latley.

Thick, all-Ti frame, beefy pivot, thick blade in a steel like CPM-D2, CPM-M4, high HRC S7, or 52100. Drop-point harpoon double grind with a zero edge and a convexed tip.

Basically, something like this with a double grind and some type of a choil...that folds into a titanium handle. :)

View attachment 313766

What he said.^ :thumbup:

Hey guys! Busy here trying to line everything up to make these happen! :D

Sounds cool... I have been playing with a harpoon tip in CAD and it looks like it will work nicely. I like those steel choices and other details too.

High hardness S7 - that is the way to go with S7 for a knife, I temper mine for maximum hardness

I will be your first customer Dan!! I like D2! A swedge would be a good idea! I say nea to the chisel grind though. Not a fan. Probably be a deal breaker for me!

Thanks! Swedges and D2 are always cool. I'm always listening to input on grinds too.

Sorry Strideco, you better get in line ha ha. Daniel, Green anno is what I've been dreaming of, this is gonna be some gnarly folder out put Sir. Can I get on the list for two? My second spot right behind Striderco? ; ) Seriously, have you closed your book? I will need two. one to carry and one above the fireplace etc.

Yeah green ano fo sho! I have all sorts of plans for Ti finishes, I love that stuff. Two sounds good!

Books closed? not on these! :D I'll do an official sign up when I feel that everything is a go. I'm still debating a pre-buy with these on the first 10 or so.

I had to stop taking official custom orders earlier this year because my backlog was too big. With these I'll have custom options. That is the current DFK format, I listen to what everyone wants and try to do a small group run with custom options.

Yeah, green ano frame and D2 steel would be pretty cool, for sure. How's the schedule for a folder looking, Daniel?

Sounds good! I keep leaning towards D2, I like how it is good in all areas. There are so many great steels to choose from, hard to go wrong... 3V, M4, S7...

Schedule - I'm still pushing hard for a finished prototype by Christmas; after some testing it's on! I have a lot to line up equipment wise to make it work but everything is falling into place. (in fact my dust collector is coming in next week, that way I will live long enough to complete the first 10 or more, :p :D )

What he said.^ :thumbup:
sounds good!

This looks exactly like a folders ive been making, or atleast the prototypes, ive been testing it in different orentations. d2 hrc 62 steel, full flat grind. Its a friction folder, but hey, its my first folder and id rather test it out than ruin a nice peice of titanium. its pretty cool that badass knife makers like you have the same idea of a good knife that i do! Sorry for the bad image quality, i dont have a very nice camera, but youve got the idea.

ive still got to set the screws in, but its easier if there not right now, ive been doing alot of screwing and unscrewing with em latley.

Hey, great looking knife! It is a classic design in some ways, very cool to see that and thanks for the kind words.

I hear you on the screws, they get assembled and taken apart so many times that you can wear them out! I have a junky set I keep just for build up, good idea on the pins. Nice work!

A dust collector is a necessity for any shop in my opinion (and yet I don't own one). Your health is important, we don't want you croaking on us any time soon ;)

A dust collector is a necessity for any shop in my opinion (and yet I don't own one). Your health is important, we don't want you croaking on us any time soon ;)

I agree, it is a must. I wear a respirator but when I take it off all the bad stuff is still suspended in the air. I even vacuum my shop lights but if I tap on one after a grinding session it will release a massive G10 cloud. :eek:

I got a big one with a trash can in line for the chunky stuff but I have seen smaller ones for cheap.

I know of one major maker who uses shop vacs at each station with cyclone separators for dust collecting. lol why didn't I get one sooner!!!

Back