Japanese Deba knife ID help

I found this knife at a thrift store. I thought it was a cheapie at first but the top is actual buffalo horn. Am i correct that this is a left handed knife? I was also wondering if anyone could read that kanji for me; I've tried looking it up to no avail. Thank you!

I don't know kanji but that is a left-handed deba.

I did a little research on your kanji letters. The first two are "betsu da" meaning "specially forged" " ".

The last two are " " which is tomo sawa / tomozawa / tomizawa, which may be a person, company or place name.

The complex one in the middle looks like , "rei" which means :"slave" as a standalone word. I may not have gotten that one right, it is a complicated symbol.

I don't speak or read Japanese, that's just from doing some Google searching of the characters.

Thank you! ; i wasn't sure how to enter the kanji; I tried looking at a database of all characters but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Betsu Uchi
別打 Special (separate) forging
Toku Sei
特製 (specially made)
Tomo Tsugu
友次 ...name/brand

I don't know kanji but that is a left-handed deba.

I did a little research on your kanji letters. The first two are "betsu da" meaning "specially forged" " ".

The last two are " " which is tomo sawa / tomozawa / tomizawa, which may be a person, company or place name.

The complex one in the middle looks like , "rei" which means :"slave" as a standalone word. I may not have gotten that one right, it is a complicated symbol.

I don't speak or read Japanese, that's just from doing some Google searching of the characters.
Yep! That is a lefty, the flat is on the inside of the body when using it!

Very interesting to know that the the top is actual buffalo horn. I am sorry to say that the I can't help with the inscription. Debas are thick, stout knives traditionally used in Japan for filleting fish.They provide free name engraving service.

Back