Japanese Traditional Swords

My daughter is a permanent resident of Japan.
I found out how to export traditinal swards from Japan.
I was thinking of bringing some in to the US but I have no idea how much interest there is in them. One knife store owner I know did not think at least from his experience that there was much.

there is a ton of interest in them, a true tamahagane katana is not cheap though, so unless you paid an arm and leg you might not be getting them from legit sources

Exporting is not a problem. Are you referring to antique swords or modern made traditional swords ?

Ever since WWII Japanese smiths are only allowed to make a limited number of pieces each. Also relatively few smiths are certified to be able to make them.

I think it's disgusting that this law is still in effect. After WW2 Japan's been drawing Hello Kitty ever since.

There are hundreds of thousands of Japanese swords in the USA and the west. And hundreds of people exporting/importing every week, and lots of dealers specializing in exporting out of Japan.
Not hard to get them, you wouldn't be filling any market that isn't already being maxed.
Antiques are far cheaper than modern ones, wakizashi can be had from a few hundred $'s upwards.
I wouldn't bother if I were you, unless you want one for yourself. Collectors are already importing their own every day. Check out Aoi Art, Nihonto Message Board, etc etc etc...
http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/articles/sword_law.pdf

Back