Jasmine Maintenance

Well, the inevitable happened, and I dropped my Jasmine after balancing it on a rock (stupid). I noticed that the action was a bit gritty after the fall, as I guess some dirt got in and around the pivot. Tonight I disassembled it, and cleaned it.
Now, after reassembling, for some reason the lock is sticking quite a lot. I believe it is galling pretty seriously.

What the heck did I do wrong? I put everything back in it's original spot, and added a little bit of grease, and that is ALL I did.

Any idea what I need to do to stop this lock from sticking. It never used to stick...ugh...

I'd keep playing, loosen it all off, check the bearing is seated properly and re tighten. It'll sort itself:) also, check both faces are really clean (I've not done this but I'm sure someone mentioned using pencil graphite on the faces to free things up...).

Don't worry, mine's getting nicely scratched, worn and dinged:)

I've also convexed the edge so half the stonewashed finish is gone too. Mine as far from prestige now and definitely wouldn't command the silly money some people are asking for them now but I'm using it and loving it:D

Sam

Good idea. I did clean the tang where the lockbar makes its connection. The bearings are all in their designated places, and it flips well, but the disengagement of the lock is sticky...

Yup, mine will also be a user.

Well, wiping down the lock contacts didn't do much. However, I gave the knife a couple strong and hard flicks to open it, and that seemed to fix the lock sticking issue!

I guess it's similar to the reassembly of a Sebenza where Chris Reeve suggests to open the knife with a couple of hard flicks in order to allow everything to seat properly...

Back