John Greco Knives - Get 'em while you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone!
I just want to let you know that John Greco's current knives won't be available much longer. Many may be aware that John has had some health problems lately, and has not been making his usual selection of knives for quite a while. He's been selling his remaining inventory at some pretty low prices, but will only be doing this for probably another month or two. At that point he'll take them off the market. The good news is that John's medical condition has become much better, and he's going to be making knives again, just a different style of knives. All info can be found at grecoknives.com.

saw a post a few weeks back and they said whatever greco is ill with might be getting better so he might start back to making knives again FWIW,

hope so he does make some good stuff at great prices imho. my fav big hunting knife is a greco recon (5") that i corded the handle like a strider, looks and works great all for $50

My query returned that there was no such page and I know that this was his page. My guess is that he has taken it down.

I bought a Dangler and a Companion from him and have been more than happy with both of them. They are excellent, Hell-for-strong knives, and the Dangler is downright cute in the bargain. :D

I only got one of his knives.

greco.JPG

:)

I suspect his return will be higher end Scagel style knives and getting away from the cheaper mass market stuff he has been doing. I have a lot of his knives but don't use any of them too much. I've always found the 1/4"-3/16" stock to be overkill for knives of that type. If he would've done them in 1/8" stock I think the smaller knives would've been really great. My favorite from him that I own is a Little Baron, which is the small version of the Green River hunting type knife. Just a cool pattern.

I just got on Greco's site, but I went to Yahoo & typed in "John Greco Knives". This pulls up INDEX GRECO2, or something like that. That took me to the site... :)

i don't understand something here.
why would he take his current knives off the market in a couple months? just 'cause he's making more knives? what's he gonna do with all the knives he has left over?

i understand him not making those designs anymore or targeting the same consumers anymore, but why take them off the market?

He's not taking them off the market. He got sick and was told he couldn't continue making knives, or he would suffer continually severe consequences. So he lowered his prices and sold off his current stock.

Now we hear he may be able to continue working, since he took a break and recovered from whatever the problem was, but it doesn't make sense for him to go back to what he was doing, churning out production levels of inexpensive knives.

So the speculation is, he'll be able to do fewer but better knives, like the Scagel style that Lavan showed.

By the way, I find that my old Greco bookmark for http://www.grecoknives.com/ comes up just fine. It may have been down for a while, but it is back, and he's still got knives for sale.

Nice to hear that John may be carrying on afterall. His knives are great! :)

Man! Does anyone know what the problem was? Hope to see him making knives when he can......I like his danglers.

I have spoken with John twice in the past few weeks. He is not making any more tactical knives.
His health has improved to the point that he can be in the shop, tho not as long as he likes. He is going to be putting out Skagel type knives from now on.
The only reason for the change in knife type is his own passage. John started making swords a hundred years ago, then moved to tactical knives, now Skagel type. "Just a phase" he said.
I have a Falcon that is really rock solid and as close to a fixed blade when open as anything out there.

The first link worked just fine for me right now. I have to use Internet Explorer to use all of his page and links. Mozilla, Firefox and Netscape don't do well on his page.
When his stock of tactical knives is gone...that'll be the end of it from him, anyway.
Tom

edit to add
So lavan's pic is a Skagel style knife??
And here's a link to my info on the Falcon in the review forum

He calls it the Greco Scagel. It is not convex ground though. Flat grind with Scagel "looks."

Just noticed this old thread.

That Greco "Scagel" is the only knife I've ever had that snapped off at the hilt.

Had an awful 90 degree sharp stress point at that location.
NOT a competent build in my opinion.

8k93.jpg

:grumpy:

Back to back posts with 10 years between. Now that's a special type of necrothread!

That sucks BTW.

This necro post provides some light reading to counter the Buck 110 thread that will never end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back