Joining the Busse Strip Club

After living vicariously through the pix of the Busse Strip Club (You know who you are) for a few years, I thought it was finally time to take the plunge.
I decided to etching the logos, and from what I read in the forums, thought it would be most efficient to etch and strip three knives at once.

#1 Busse DTBM BG. I wanted a satin one sooo bad, I bought two so I could strip one.
#2 Busse Argonne Attack CG - Booya! She really needed to be nekkid!
#3 Busse Original NMFBM CG - Beat on her some and the coating was starting to come off, so into the CitriStrip ya go baby.

I used clampdaddy's process (thank you sir!) to etch the logos.
No dam, applied the etchant with a Q-tip to the blades, waited 20 minutes, soaked up the excess etchant, wash, scrub with a brass brush and repeated 6 times.
I followed up with a baking soda wash and rinse. Was very easy and worked very well.

Got one of those disposable aluminum turkey pans and coated all three knives in CitriStrip, arranged them in the pan, and left 'em overnight.
Used one of those pizza stone plastic scrapers from Pampered Chef, and a plastic putty knife to strip off the coatings.
That little scraper is amazing! The corners let me get into all the nooks and crannies and even get some of the talon hole cleaned out.

I don't know what Jerry put in the new Black coating in O2W, but it was a bear to get off the DTBM!
It was the only one I had to use a metal putty knife on, and I considered hitting her with CitriStrip a second time.
The NMFBM bubbled up and came right off, and the Tanker Grey on the AA from O2W did the same.

After stripping all three down to the decarb, I started sanding with #1, the DTBM.
I've got the grinder gremlins that most folks have, and that’s okay with me.
My goal from the get-go has been a Competition style finish.
I don't have the machinery, skill using it, or the time to try and do a satin(ish) finish. Not to mention I DON’T want to take the handles off!

I didn't take a before pic of the DTBM Black/Black Canvas, but here is her sister wearing Tanker Grey with Green/Black G-10 for reference:
30457277546_5fc872cf0f_b.jpg

And here she is now:
32989730183_e6c790a618_b.jpg

33417974310_52f7ca19fb_b.jpg

33417972370_505c13bc13_b.jpg

33417970440_292e8b9b34_b.jpg

I REALLY happy with how she came out! She looks rough, tough and ready for action!

#2 Argonne Attack - Do have before pix of her:
30377143912_cf36ea5727_b.jpg

And her she is now:
33802727635_2e6328b637_b.jpg

32989725903_671c0f6c1b_b.jpg

33762175516_7e70c9f39c_b.jpg

32989725443_3971a8f697_b.jpg

She looks just wicked! I love the rough and tumble Competition finish!!!

I'm going to try and finish #3 the NMFBM next week, and then post up some pix of her.

Next I’m planning on stripping one of my BB-13’s, one of the BG AK’s, and am considering stripping my Battle Shark and the Hognose War Sword when that arrives.

Madness I tell you, MADNESS!! :eek:

Those etches look amazing! Great job man. Looking forward to more pics. I love the look, nothing like naked INFI IMHO.

Dannn, they do look Sweet, That pic of AA woke up the need for one in my rotation

Great work!! That DTBM especially, dayum, need to get back to work on some of mine.

Thank you all, most of you contributed to me finally stripping some blades, and I'm really glad you did!!! :D

did you strip out the insides of the talon holes on the BG DTBM?

Yes, it's easy to slather the CitriStrip in them. I pushed the coating out with a Q-Tip, then wrapped some 400 grit around a bamboo BBQ skewer to sand off the decarb in the Talon holes.

Hello
I know its posted somewhere but can someone suggest what grit sandpaper should i start with to remove decarb layer ? And in what grits to proceed to get it somewhat Satin finish ?
I think its time for me to join the Strip Club with TGp

That DTBM turned out great :thumbup:, the AA isn't to bad either :D

Hello
I know its posted somewhere but can someone suggest what grit sandpaper should i start with to remove decarb layer ? And in what grits to proceed to get it somewhat Satin finish ?

I start out with 120, then 220, then 400....and so on. I've used 80 to start out with on some with deep tooling lines.
I place an old mouse-pad on a flat surface with the sandpaper temporarily glued down with elmers school glue. Helps with the convex aspect. Got that idea from good ole' tinfoilhattimmy.

Last edited:
Hello

I am no expert, but this is what I did:
I use a board about 6" wide and 20" long, clamp with DeWalt clamps to my work table to hold the blade safely.
I adapted the method from watching a video from Nick Wheeler showing how he hand sands his blades. I also read a bunch of the Busse stripping threads and gleaned info from them.

If you're going to "Satin" the blade, that's gonna take a lot of time & elbow grease to get a smooth base and get all the dings out. The CG/BG blades can be really clean under the coating or horribly rough.

I start with 220 grit and Windex to remove the decarb, and get a nice base. I move to 400 grit and sand out all the previous grit scratches, then 600 grit, following the same steps. I use dremel scotchbrite pads (red, then green, then grey) to do the spine, and handle areas. I'm going for a rougher competition style finish on mine so they're not going to be beautiful satin, and I may or may not do an 800 grit pass.
You'll want to do the 800 grit and if you're really into it a 1000 grit pass.

No matter what, you'll make the TGLB your own, and there is a huge satisfaction in doing that.

Good luck!

I use 100 grit to remove the decarb and then I'm usually done. Sometimes I'll use a little Polish in case i missed a spot or 2 of the decarb. I bead blasted my TGLB but i didn't etch it. If only i had known how easy and quick electro etching was.

Back