July 4th…time travel and more woods stuff!

Woke up in Japan, took a direct flight at about 4pm July 3rd?slept, watched movies, ate airplane food and listened to babies cry?slept, woke up at 4pm July 3rd in New Jersey.
I like this type of time travel, however, jetlag sucks. July 4th I hit the woods to see what type of condition my summer camp was in. To my surprise, not bad at all after 3 months away. I had a broken chair from jute twine giving out, but that is to be expected of jute. I dug out my cache, retrieved my tomahawk (for summer) from the log and headed up the hill to start summer camp 2017?.
Over the course of three days, I captured the summer coming to life and all the usual suspects out and about?including the mosquitos. I decided to have something I couldn?t have in the Mediterranean, Middle East and Asia?Hot Dogs! What better way to celebrate the 4th of July than some all American Hot Dogs. Eventually, I would get around to some sausages, taters and baked beans.

Good to be back in the USA?will post trip pictures of my travels soon!

My Hawk had some rust from early spring snow still looming in March when I stashed it in a hollow log.

Getting a coal base was first on the list?

I was welcomed by the usual suspects?

Beech

Squid tree and even some burls were there to greet me!

Tree roots worthy of a Johnny Depp movie?

Cajun hot dogs

Some brew and Japanese sweet bread?

The Y-stick roaster thing?

Apple Sausages wrapped in bacon, chipotle baked beans and two taters, with Red Eyed Hog seasoning, another thing I couldn?t get in the Middle East.

Malaysian Old Town Coffee?

Fixed chair? and hammock chair?

Camp from about 15 meters away?hard to see, even with the reflective inside of the all-weather blanket facing me?

Hike out?

-RB

Now you just made me hungry! Great pictures, as usual. Seems like a nice outing. And... did you actually left your hawk in a tree, in the forest... and it was there months later? I guess that place is not visited much by hikers... otherwise it would be gone!

Great pics, awesome thread. What is your fixed blade knife?

In this post, or normally?

Thanks for posting. I much enjoyed it.

I appreciate it man.

Now you just made me hungry! Great pictures, as usual. Seems like a nice outing. And... did you actually left your hawk in a tree, in the forest... and it was there months later? I guess that place is not visited much by hikers... otherwise it would be gone!

I left it in a hollowed out log. It seemed ok, except for the surface rust. Lots of people go through there, but few see my cache.

Gotsta be a paying member . ;)

I see, things have changed here in the last 11 years.

-RB

Great report as always bear!
Enjoy your trip reports alot.
Esp all the bushcrafty and food details ;)

Back