Jumping on the spinner craze

Excuse me while I ask a question. I am kind of an old fashioned guy, but them I'm an old guy. But if you're at work in a meeting, or at your job, wouldn't it make more sense to channel any of that "nervous energy" into paying attention to what they are saying in the meeting, or doing your job that they are paying you to do????

Just a novel thought.

Adult fidget toy?

Ever been on the phone for a long time? Ever chew gum? :)

image_208.jpg

image_209.jpg

Ti-EDC Spinner
IMG_4874.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

I still want to know, can you do tricks with them, like with a Duncan Yo-yo? That would be kinda cool.

I tried to learn to juggle, but never got past the basic three ball weave. Also, it takes two hands, so unless I'm on a speaker phone it's awkward, and I believe doodling pictures is a better, more creative way to pass the time. To each his own, I suppose.

I still want to know, can you do tricks with them, like with a Duncan Yo-yo? That would be kinda cool.

I tried to learn to juggle, but never got past the basic three ball weave. Also, it takes two hands, so unless I'm on a speaker phone it's awkward, and I believe doodling pictures is a better, more creative way to pass the time. To each his own, I suppose.

I don't know about tricks, they balance well gyroscopically when they spin. Think of it like a top or a gyroscope that sits between your fingers. You can spin them while they are on a table, on your cars shifter balancing like a top, fingers etc.

You don't just spin them, you can and most do work them with one hand. I usually hold my spinner between my thumb and middle finger and spin it with my index or flip it back and forth. Some people flip or tap or chew on pencils or play with paperclips, doodle or whatever, this is just a similar thing. They are as cheap as $15 and go for well over $100 depending on materials, design, and quality. Believe me there is a difference in a well designed one and quality bearings and stuff and one someone threw together. Check Etsy or Amazon. My blue one was $20. I doubt I will collect them but having a couple is nice.

No but, technically you now can with mine? I guess a couple people call certain flips with a karambit "tricks". So being as I made mine able to flip like one as well... by a very thin technicality I guess you could do tricks? Hahaha. Generally no, though. If you need to fidget and feel a sort of "gain" while doing it i'd highly suggest Begleri Beads.

Nice little collecting there Boxer!:thumbup:

I don't mean to sound stupid guys, this is a genuine question! What is a spinner??

Also know as a fidget toy. Made of metal or synthetic materials that have a balanced or weighted design with a central bearing so it spins gyroscopically around a center point. See pictures above.

These are gifs from google
9hW5FgN.gif

8faa22b41bcbe455830907387af3a44b.gif

No different than these in a way-
tumblr_nz9eg301um1qdewlro1_500.gif

122642901.gif

But smaller.

I always wanted to learn to do that; tried practicing a lot when I was a kid. Never got it lol

I use my thumb to help it along. It doesn't look quite as good as doing it with just fingers, but it's still something to fidget with.

Looked up what smh stands for, "shake my head". Don't have a spinner but I've got a TC 15 clip/pen im rubbing on... I'm looking at dad in a hospital bed in STL with a tumor growing in his head. May lose my #1 gun and knife trading buddy. Take care gents

Looked up what smh stands for, "shake my head". Don't have a spinner but I've got a TC 15 clip/pen im rubbing on... I'm looking at dad in a hospital bed in STL with a tumor growing in his head. May lose my #1 gun and knife trading buddy. Take care gents

I always have to look up these new acronyms every one is constantly using these days lol.

Terribly sorry to hear about your troubles. Kind wishes and thoughts coming from my way to you my friend!

There's actually some research out there that shows doing little inane things like this helps people to focus. There was a study done a while back on doodling, even just utterly pointless scribbling and it helped people stay mentally on task. Now obviously, if you're supposed to be typing or something like that, it's going to be a problem.

I teach a handful of teenagers and just started handing out those "adult coloring" pages a month back. Attentiveness, responsiveness, and retention in my class have gone through the ROOF. Whereas these kids, (some late high-school others early college. All under heavy class loads, and a number working jobs besides) previously could hardly keep themselves awake or focused at times. It's been a real boon to give them a bit of fidgety stuff to do.

Yes you can just click that 25 cent pen. I handed out clicky pens to my class a while back. They clicked and clicked... and clicked those pens. And I had to try not to set fire to each and every one of my students that day. If you work alone, go ahead and click your pen. If you work with other people, STOP IT!
Aww c'mon. Why get all sciency when you can use old fangled "common sense"? I mean, our grandparents were perfect right? ;)

It's also a matter of what type of meeting. My wife will literally be on a conference call for over an hour and not actually have to say anything. She's just on the phone in case there's a question about the do diligence of the companies involved. Though, she prefers candy crush. :)

Back