Just picked up my first SDS

What's up fellas? Just picked up my first SDS in a trade from a guy here on the forum. I haven't got it yet. Can't wait to get my mitts on her! hahaha!

This is also the first custom knife I've ever owned.

I've read nothing but great reviews about SDS knives & I wanted to ask if I could send it back in & have a few customizations done. I like to add a personal touch to all my keepers. I'd really like to get a new set of scales since I'm not that fond of Blaze Orange. I understand the purpose of it out in the woods, but I never lay my knives down anywhere so I'm not worried about losing it. I'd also like to see if I could get the scales attached with screws so I can remove them. I like to change up the look of my knives sometimes. I'd be interested in buying a set of canvas micarta scales & a nice set of wood scales too. Maybe some nice stabilized buckeye burl or something that just looks sexy! hahaha!

I'd also like to have her resharpened & polished so she looks like new!

How much would it be to get another sheath? I saw a pick of one a guy here on the forum had that I would be interested in. I'm constantly changing the way I carry my gear & 2 sheaths would be nice. I'd also like to get another belt loop sewn on the front side of the sheath that's coming with my new knife. I change the side I'm wearing sometimes if I carry my pistol.

Let me know if any of this would be possible & if so, what the individual prices would be. Thanks!

Here's a few pics of the knife I got & the last pic is of the sheath I saw that I'd like to get.

017_renamed_29354.jpg

014_renamed_29302.jpg

013.jpg

014-7.jpg

You are in for a treat with that knife. I have one with a similar blade and one of the most comfortable handles I own. Mine is D2 and stays sharp for a LONG time. I use mine in the kitchen for everthing to cutting chicken and steak, to spreading cream cheese and peanut butter. Kick ass tool for sure! Enjoy.

You are in for a treat with that knife. I have one with a similar blade and one of the most comfortable handles I own. Mine is D2 and stays sharp for a LONG time. I use mine in the kitchen for everthing to cutting chicken and steak, to spreading cream cheese and peanut butter. Kick ass tool for sure! Enjoy.

Very nice! I just looked at it & knew it was gonna be a keeper! :)

White Mamba, thanks for the inquiry and I hope you enjoy the knife when you get your hands on it. I do understand that the orange G10 isn't to everyones liking. The changes you requested are all doable but I'm not so sure that it would be worth the cost/effort vs. making a new knife altogether.

The interchangeable handle scales are something I haven't tried before. Before I could make new scales I'd need to cut the current ones off and clean up the tang then re-drill all of the holes to get it prepped for new handles. I'd have to make sure the screws that I get are sized right for the holes that are already in the tang and to be honest I don't remember the size of the lanyard tubing I used on that knife.

I think that particular knife has a satin/brushed finish. I would need to get it back on the grinder to get everything polished. Since it's already heat treated I'd have to go slow to protect the steel. Again, doable, but time consuming.

Making a new sheath could also be done but I have a hard time pricing leather work. I usually just factor that into the cost of a knife.

By the time I did all of the above I think we'd be in the ballpark of the price of a new knife made from scratch to the spec's your wanting.

SDS

White Mamba, thanks for the inquiry and I hope you enjoy the knife when you get your hands on it. I do understand that the orange G10 isn't to everyones liking. The changes you requested are all doable but I'm not so sure that it would be worth the cost/effort vs. making a new knife altogether.

The interchangeable handle scales are something I haven't tried before. Before I could make new scales I'd need to cut the current ones off and clean up the tang then re-drill all of the holes to get it prepped for new handles. I'd have to make sure the screws that I get are sized right for the holes that are already in the tang and to be honest I don't remember the size of the lanyard tubing I used on that knife.

I think that particular knife has a satin/brushed finish. I would need to get it back on the grinder to get everything polished. Since it's already heat treated I'd have to go slow to protect the steel. Again, doable, but time consuming.

Making a new sheath could also be done but I have a hard time pricing leather work. I usually just factor that into the cost of a knife.

By the time I did all of the above I think we'd be in the ballpark of the price of a new knife made from scratch to the spec's your wanting.

SDS

Fair enough. I'm always glad to add another knife to my collection anyway! :)

When I get some extra money up we'll get together & build one from the ground up. Sound good?

Sounds like a plan to me! I'm pretty easy to find, just give me a shout when your ready.

SDS

Sounds like a plan to me! I'm pretty easy to find, just give me a shout when your ready.

SDS

Yes sir! I know what I want in a knife & I'm gonna be writing down some notes in the meantime. This will be my first real custom especially made for me! Can't wait! :)

Hmmm, glad I didn't take on that project. Haven't heard a word from him.

I hope you get the issues resolved and thanks for the heads up.

SDS

Back