KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

Me likey the Parangatang.

its so pretty...to smash things with :D er.. I mean. It's a delightful tool to use for cutting and chopping :D

IMG_20160325_145137999_HDR_zpsf9mxgy1o.jpg

I think my BK20 replaced my Parangatang, unintentionally of course but I have yet to take my Parangatang out of the house since I've attained my BK20.

The Parangatang I bought is off at its new home now. I gave it to Dad for his birthday last weekend. I foresee it taking up permanent residence on his Willys CJ3B for woods bumming and fence mending duties.

That sounds like a pretty good life for a Parangatang to me. :cool:

just wanted to drop by and post this. I'm happy, been after an original brass and micarta for years until time and money aligned for a good deal :thumbup:

IMG_20160719_121555722_zps6sljtmkt.jpg

IMG_20160719_121625952_zpsls7alpqs.jpg

IMG_20160719_121641192_zpsly5wkqhd.jpg

Haha. So, the first thing I did with the 'tang was give it an acid etch on the logos. Fell asleep and forgot about it...
Got home from work the next day and it was a dried up gunky mess...
Used a needle to scrape it out and it looks like it barely did anything. Nets still down so no pics ATM.

I found it! I was working on reclaiming my garage yesterday from the extra house stuff still in it from moving and remodeling. I stumbled across my Ka-Barley tucked away in a box of bottle caps. I was elated! I only had canned beer in the house, but I will make sure to get it something good to open here soon so we may celebrate its return to the surface.

Hello! echo.... echo... echo....

We were doing so good a little while ago. Looks like it died again.

so I modded the handle on my parangatang to blend the handle protrusion a bit -- MUCH nicer to use.
then I thinned and convexed the edge -- scary chopper.
pounded on a bunch of seasoned poplar at Ethan's place and quickly lost the hair popping edge, but it continued to cut and chop like a beast.
took it home and used it to trim a bunch of honey locust hanging over the fence -- whick, whick, whick -- branches fluttering to the ground.
very happy with this puppy.

did I mention it chops like a mad fiend? :D

I keep forgetting mine...have to take it out and let it loose soon. Will have to try that handle mod, vik, that's the only thing that bothers me with the Johnson blades. Talking of which - just scored a sweet deal at a place that has smoke coming from a mountain :p, got a zomstro for 40 smackeroonis...what a beast. Scary sharp for such a burly brute, and definitely destined to handle mods a la Mr. Hunt, maybe not an awesome leather sheath but quite probably some curly wood slapped on.

that's a killer price - makes it pretty tempting to pick one up as mod-stock.
would make an awesome Seax knife.

I was thinking about taking mine to the grinding wheel, but then I'll have to redo the scales. Its a project for when I got some time :D

I'm lazy - I left the scales on and used a knife to clean up/scrape off the flash when i was done.

Yeah, I'd like to grind that spot down too on the Parangatang.
Also would like to make new scales with some contour and more swell on the butt.
Lots of things I just don't get around to doing lol

Back