KA-BAR Outdoor Action & Adventure Thread

Alright, since the ball was tossed back to me by OKB about what we think we would like to see happen here. This is one of my ideas.

The title should be somewhat self-explanitory. But I would like to see KA-BAR knives in use outdoors.

The action part means they should be involved in doing something. I don't care what. Just outdoors and doing something. Adventure can be anything you want it to be. And it pays slight Homage to Steve Johnson's Adventure Blades. Because he was thte first to respond to the call.

To start the ball rolling. Here is my Dog's Head shaving feathersticks for a fire.
IMG_4450-XL.jpg

It's a KA-BAR, it's outdoors, it's doing something. Simple.

So let's see what you guys come up with.

Here is number three, just to drive the idea home.

Outdoors, and using the spine of my knife to clean the inner bark (Cambiem) off a newly constructed hiking staff.
IMG_4501-XL.jpg

Doesn't have to be Epic or Ground Breaking. Just shots and/or stories about actually using your knives in the Outdoors.

Lol Its funny you ask. It was literally setting in a rubbermaid box with a few other choppers. Brand new never used!!! After seeing LostVikings thread I jumped up and went straight to the basement to retrieve ma kukri. Grabbed my notepad for pictures and started chopping and flashing away. It definitely moves some material quickly. Some of the dead limbs just popped off from blunt force trauma. It dug deep and has a larger sweet spot than I thought it would. Once you get it moving kinetic energy takes over and chips fly with ease. I like it alot I'm going to try it out on some old oak next. The only issue I had was my pinkie was catching some crush action from the curved portion of the handle, Not bad I just kept my hand farther up the handle. I wasn't wearing gloves but I will when I abuse some hard oak. Other then pinching my pinkie I felt no vibration thru the handle. Most definitely a keeper:thumbsup:

The bush and surrounding vegetation needing to go away so a fence can be put in.

threatening the bush.

Leftover bush bits

Some of the slices from the Parangatang were pretty epic

Playing around afterwards

The final pile of tree limbs, destined for the yard waste.

Nice work folks!!

Tanker,
That Kuk looks like it bites nice and deep.

James,
Looks like a cool spot to kick back and enjoy life!

Creeky,
No it doesn't have to be a stocker. In fact it's nice to see how folks mod them.

King,
I have found big knives to be very capable tools. There is a learning curve for some of the finer tasks for sure. But they definitely offer up a lot of versatility.

I am about out of photo bandwith until the 2nd of June. One of the very few downsides of living in the rural woods. And a sacrifice I'm willing to make for all the upsides.

But rest assured, in the next few days. I will put a KA-BAR into action. And get some photos for next week.

Thanks to all who have already contributed and I certainly hope it continues.

If this works out. Perhaps we will try some skills threads. Nothing crazy. Just stuff that is usable around the yard and camp.

And sooner or later, I see a KA-BAR and Twine thread. It just has to happen eventually.

Last edited:
LostViking I would give up bandwidth any day of the week to live in the woods. You and I are on opposite ends of this state. I'm living on Long Island right now. I do venture up to Roscoe and Tug hill for Grouse and Woodcock hunting. But your North East of all that. The farthest North I have ventured so far is Niagara falls and Ticonderoga. Trying to do a Revolutionary battles tour before we move out of state.

Tanker,

Yes sir, we are about as far apart as we can be and still be in the same state. I'm about an hour west, northwest, of Plattsburgh. Literally nine miles from the Canadian border.

I grew up in the Catskills. Just over the hill from Delhi.

Tug Hill/Old Forge is 3 hours south of here. I'm about two and half hours north of the museum in Blue Mountain Lake. Which if you haven't been to, is well worth the trip.

Tanker,

Yes sir, we are about as far apart as we can be and still be in the same state. I'm about an hour west, northwest, of Plattsburgh. Literally nine miles from the Canadian border.

I grew up in the Catskills. Just over the hill from Delhi.

Tug Hill/Old Forge is 3 hours south of here. I'm about two and half hours north of the museum in Blue Mountain Lake. Which if you haven't been to, is well worth the trip.
Thank you for the heads up on Blue Mountain Lake. My wife works for Canon (Nikon people don't be haters) and we travel around for photo shoots. Nature and Historical sites. Had a great shoot in the Dells Wisconsin but it didn't compare to upstate NY. We will definitely check out Blue Mountain Lake.

Too funny. I was a Nikon guy for years. I switched over to Canon when Nikon went auto focus and all my old glass wouldn't mate up. I was still shooting slide film back then. I fought the digital revolution longer than I should have.

Sadly, I sold off my entire kit. Including my EOS-1s and some Low Dispersion ED high speed glass. I still miss my 300 2.8 sometimes. And the capabilities of the high end stuff. I miss my Gitzos most of all.

These and everything on here has been done with a little and long in the tooth, Canon Point and shoot. It does a stellar job for what it is and it's age.

My Mark 1 prepping for a small fire.
IMG_4474-XL.jpg

Other ingredients,
IMG_4476-XL.jpg

Some Jute Twine taking the spark,
IMG_4479-XL.jpg

If you can swing it. The museum in Blue Mountain Lake is worth at least 2-3 days to drill down to what is really there. There is just so much to see, and it covers many acres. One day just isn't enough. I travel down there around once a year, and I still always find new and interesting stuff.

Mid week will afford you a less crowed experience as well.

Last edited:
I'm as far south as you can go in the Catskills .Better than the Dells !
BML Museum has improved over the years ,yes it's worth a trip. Good canoeing in Old Forge and nearby.
They even grow fine Cheddar Cheese in NY state !

Oh no LostViking I'm not even going to attempt to talk camera lenses. LoL. I'm just the Sherpa I was promoted a few months ago from Packmule!!! I can only carry so many white lenses.

I'm as far south as you can go in the Catskills .Better than the Dells !
BML Museum has improved over the years ,yes it's worth a trip. Good canoeing in Old Forge and nearby.
They even grow fine Cheddar Cheese in NY state !

Mete I venture up your way now and then. West Hurley to Numrich gun parts, Kaaterskill 3 tier falls is beautiful got some awesome shots in the winter looked like a ice palace. Devils tombstone, Woodland valley. And of course Bear mountain. I love it upstate.

My Mark 1 prepping for a small fire.
IMG_4474-XL.jpg

Other ingredients,
IMG_4476-XL.jpg

Some Jute Twine taking the spark,
IMG_4479-XL.jpg

I've had this knife in my amazon cart, saved for later, for months. How do you like it? I'm on a knife buying hiatus for a few months, but once that's done I need to pull the trigger. As a former Broome County NY native, I'm definitely partial to knives from the region. We plan on bringing the kids up that way for some hiking and camping someday soon...good lord willing and the creek don't rise. I miss hiking the Adirondacks, fishing the St. Lawrence, the finger lakes... I miss it all.

Back