KA-BAR Outdoor Action & Adventure Thread

I've had this knife in my amazon cart, saved for later, for months. How do you like it? I'm on a knife buying hiatus for a few months, but once that's done I need to pull the trigger. As a former Broome County NY native, I'm definitely partial to knives from the region. We plan on bringing the kids up that way for some hiking and camping someday soon...good lord willing and the creek don't rise. I miss hiking the Adirondacks, fishing the St. Lawrence, the finger lakes... I miss it all.

Yea the Finger lakes. Wife and I shot up to Watkins Glenn last summer for a photo shoot. Every waterfall but the one in the Glenn was dried up. Crazy. That in itself was the shot.

I've had this knife in my amazon cart, saved for later, for months. How do you like it? I'm on a knife buying hiatus for a few months, but once that's done I need to pull the trigger. As a former Broome County NY native, I'm definitely partial to knives from the region. We plan on bringing the kids up that way for some hiking and camping someday soon...good lord willing and the creek don't rise. I miss hiking the Adirondacks, fishing the St. Lawrence, the finger lakes... I miss it all.

I had one and loved almost everything about it - except how short the handle is.
the pommel hit in a very uncomfortable spot in several grip styles, so it didn't get a lot of use and when the BK16 came out, away the Mk 1 went.
I have considered on several ocasions getting another one and modding the pommel - or maybe even fabbing a new, extended pommel for it.
the blade length, overall weight, and edge geometry are spot on.

I had one and loved almost everything about it - except how short the handle is.
the pommel hit in a very uncomfortable spot in several grip styles, so it didn't get a lot of use and when the BK16 came out, away the Mk 1 went.
I have considered on several ocasions getting another one and modding the pommel - or maybe even fabbing a new, extended pommel for it.
the blade length, overall weight, and edge geometry are spot on.

1066vik I really like the looks of the Mk1 but I've never held one. What size gloves do you wear. It will help me determine if it will remotely fit my large-xlarge paws

3x -- I can squeeze all 4 fingers onto a BK&T grip, unless I want to chop something or wear a glove, then it becomes a 3-finger grip.
there used to be a pic of me wearing a glove with a 3 finger grip filling the handle - this is me without a glove and without gripping tight.

393260_10150525669914603_849931144_n.jpg

I needed you on my track you could have loaded those 105mm and the 120s one handed

Never mind about the vacuum loading I just looked at your 5 inch 54cal. It doesnt appear to have the same bore evacuator that pulls the vacuum. Update.. Its a 127mm Autoloader how nice was that!!!! Sorry I tend to stray off topic.

Last edited:
yup, 70# projectile and 54# cased charge - entire system weighes 109 tons and was essentially 3 stories tall from the base of the magazine to the top of the turret.
according to unclassified specs, the system I worked on could sustain a 34 round per minute rate of fire.
I just missed out on being able to volunteer for the recommissioning crew on the Missouri back in 86, but cutoff was July and I was still in gun school at that time.

How awesome would that have been, Crewmember on the Mighty Mo. Thats some Serious history.

yup, 70# projectile and 54# cased charge - entire system weighes 109 tons and was essentially 3 stories tall from the base of the magazine to the top of the turret.
according to unclassified specs, the system I worked on could sustain a 34 round per minute rate of fire.
I just missed out on being able to volunteer for the recommissioning crew on the Missouri back in 86, but cutoff was July and I was still in gun school at that time.

So I gotta ask. Does 1066vik refer to the Norman Conquest, or S&W model 1066? Or neither

Really enjoying this thread. I often get asked why we don't feature pictures of knives from our users, but what I have found is usually they are so busy using the knife and enjoying the outdoors they don't have time to snap photos or they don't even think about. We appreciate you taking the time and effort ; always great to see our knives well loved and worn.

Another Dog Day Afternoon!

I'm running really real low on bandwidth. But I sort of wanted to keep the momentum going here. So I headed out to the woods today for some natural tinder fun.

Seeing you guys cleaning up your properties and hearing phrases like Austrain Pine ans brush, just says fun stuff abounds.

None of what we do these days is ground breaking stuff. Our predecessors probably did it better, and with less effort and equipment.

I may just post up some teasers here until my Internet allotment renews. But the Dog's Head and I had a fun afternoon. So I thought I'd share.

My Adirondack area is full of Birch Bark and it rocks for starting fires. But over the last few months. I have been seeking out other natural tinders and fire aids. I have been sucessful with pine pitch and some others.

But one that has really been getting my attention. Not only for its abundance. But because it works extremely well. Is the inner bark of the Poplar tree. Theses trees grow like weeds up here. They grow fast and are relatively short lived.

Not to mention they almost always have branches broken off and laying near by.

Here is what the bark looks like after being seperated from the tree. For the eco-friendly types. The tree was already on the river Styx when we met.

i-Gkv5dC5-XL.jpg

The stuff is just a combustable, fiberous, pile of goodness!

Here is a little trimmed up for a scale photo. A little actually goes quite a ways.
i-QnSB8Q7-XL.jpg

Once we had that peeled out and drying in the sunshine and fresh air. We moved onto the next link in the tinder chain, The Dog's Head ripped out some feather sticks.
i-TFnDbph-XL.jpg

Not every fire or survival situation has to involve dropping and utilizing Giant Sequoia sized wood. If it's not brutally cold. I can get by quite nicely with smaller wood.
i-hWKGfwr-XL.jpg

This particular piece was a tad knarly. But it proved no match for the Dog's Head!
i-rMFbBpS-XL.jpg

The knife made quick work of making big wood smaller, and small wood even smaller.

Here is a pile of various sized wood getting ready to take a spark. Note the darker Poplar bark on the pile.
i-D48Mz8W-XL.jpg

Often the Poplar Bark will take a direct spark. Especially if it nas been allowed to dry for a few days. But sometimes it's nice to add some extra zip.

With extra zip in mind. The real dog and I, headed off for a quick stroll. A short distance away we found these. We also stirred up a rather large cloud of Blackflies.

They are thick this time of the year. Making a fire with tiny bugs flying up your nose, in your eyes and ears, and down your throat makes the whole process even more interesting.
i-9NbQCxg-XL.jpg

They are called Colt's Foot. They are one of the first wildflowers to emerge in the spring, along with Trout Lilies. They very much resemble dandelions. One notable difference is the stem. The stem of the Colt's foot has leaf like growths, while the dandelion stem is smooth. When they go to seed the look pretty similar.

These things add that extra zip we sought. They are quite explosive actually. But they burn extremely fast. I couldn't even begin to get a shot of these as they went up. In many fire situations. I would have these tucked into/under the bark. But today was sunny and dry so I was feeling lucky.
i-TgVKWxt-XL.jpg

This was the best I could do. I had the camera on and ready. But they just explode into flames. It was quick, but they did their job. The Poplar Bark is catching nicely,
i-6vRk6fx-XL.jpg

With the fire taking off nicely.
i-gNrvkgp-XL.jpg

The Dog's Head and I took time for a cold one.
i-ZvBzM4q-XL.jpg

But, more importantly. We took time to reflect on why we have a Memorial Day Weekend. It came at the cost of way too many lives. Please take a few moments this weekend to remember what it is all about. And honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Last edited:
the most common type of poplar around here is the cottonwood -- and yes the inner park makes great tinder -- it also makes decent cordage.

Another Dog Day Afternoon!

I'm running really real low on bandwidth. But I sort of wanted to keep the momentum going here. So I headed out to the woods today for some natural tinder fun.

Seeing you guys cleaning up your properties and hearing phrases like Austrain Pine ans brus, just says fun stuff abounds.

None of what we do these days is ground breaking stuff. Our predecessors probably did it better and with less effort and equipment and effort.

I may just post up some teasers here until my Internet allotment renews. But the Dog's Head and I had a fun afternoon. So I thought I'd share.

My Adirondack area is full of Birch Bark and it rocks for starting fires. But over the last few months. I have been seeking out other natural tinders and fire aids. I have been sucessful with pine pitch and some others.

But one that has really been getting my attention. Not only for its abundance. But because it works extremely well. Is the inner bark of the Poplar tree. Theses trees grow like weeds up here. They grow fast and are relatively short lived.

Not to mention the almost always have branches broken off and laying near by.

Here is what the bark looks like after being seperated from the tree. For the eco-friendly types. The tree was alreay on the river Styx when we met.

i-Gkv5dC5-XL.jpg

The stuff is just a combustable, firerous, pile of goodness!

Here is a little trimmed up for a scale photo. A little actually goes quite a ways.
i-QnSB8Q7-XL.jpg

LostViking I love your post but you are starting to cost me money now. I didnt even know what a dogshead was!!!! Now i do and I really really want one.

Weeds I tell you weeds. Eastern cedar!!!! 20 footer over grown with some vines with hooks on it. It's standing were a 12x12 outbuilding is soon gonna be. I want to do it all with KA-BARs. Oh and one old old woodsmans pal lol I just have to see what its all about. The wife has agreed to document it in pictures for me:) Its gonna take awhile but that is my afternoonssss project untill its done.

AnotherdandilionQUOTEnoon!

Seeing you guys cleaning up your properties and hearing phrases like Austrain Pine ans brus, just says fun stuff abounds.

None of what we do these days is ground breaking stuff. Our predecessors probably did it better and with less effort and equipment and effort.

Not to mention the almost always have branches broken off and laying near by.

Here is what the bark looks like after being seperated from the tree. For the eco-friendly types. The tree was alreay on the river Styx when we met.

i-Gkv5dC5-XL.jpg

The stuff is just a combustable, firerous, pile of goodness!

i-QnSB8Q7-XL.jpg

Once we had that peeled out and drying in the sunshine an fresh air. We moved on th the next link in the tinder chain, The Dog's Head ripped out some feather sticks.
i-TFnDbph-XL.jpg

Not every fire or survival situation has to invilve dropping and utilizing Giant Sequoia sized wood. If it's not brutally cold. I can get by quite nicely with smaller wood.
i-hWKGfwr-XL.jpg

This particular piece was a tad knarly. But it proved no match for the Dog's Head!
i-rMFbBpS-XL.jpg

The knife made quick work of making big wood smaller, and small wood even smaller.

Here is a pile of various sized wood getting ready to take a spark. Note the darker Poplar bark on the pile.
i-D48Mz8W-XL.jpg

Often the Poplar Bark will take a direct spark. Especially if it nas been allowed to dry for a few days. But sometimes it's nice to add some extra zip.

With extra zip in mind. The real dog and I, headed off for a quick stroll. A short distance away we founf these.
i-9NbQCxg-XL.jpg

They are called Colt's Foot. They are one of the first wildflowers to emerge in the spring, along with Trout Lilies. They very much resemble dandelions. One notable difference is the stem. The stem of the Colt's foot has leaf like growths, while the dandelion stem is smooth. When the go to seed the look pretty similar.

These things add that extra zip we sought. They are quite explosive actually. But they bun extremely fast. I couldn't even begin to get a shot of these as they went up. In many fire situations. I would have these tucked into/undernthe bark. But today was sunny and dry so I was feeling lucky.
i-TgVKWxt-XL.jpg

This was the best I could do. I had the camera on and ready. But they just explode into flames. It was quick, but they did their job. The Poplar Bark is catching nicely,
i-6vRk6fx-XL.jpg

Can you eat the Colts foot. In the south I grew up eating dandelion greens.

Back