Karl-Heinz Koob CPM420 integral sub-hilt, Alain Lovenberg engraving with gold inlays

As you may know, this is a special day in France. Yes, elections... So let's talk about knives.

Here's a project I started with german knifemaker Karl-Heinz Koob in 2011. The knife was eventually displayed yesterday for the very first time at the Solingen knifeshow.

Here’s a first pictures, and then the story behind :

Aquila2017_total_vo_forum_zpszuohkmgc.jpg

CPM420 Integral Subhilt, ivory interframe handle, stingray leather sheath, engraved by Alain Lovenberg with 22 ct gold inlays in Art Nouveau style.

Koob specialized in integral knives. If you’re not that familiar with this, these knives are made out of a solid piece of steel, using either stock removal process, or traditional forge. The most famous knifemakers in this style are Ted Dowell, Edmund Davidson, Ricardo Velarde in the US (Loveless used to make some but this are not his best knives), Ronald Best before he moved into high-end folders, or Rodrigo Sfreddo in Brazil. I could mention Nathan Carother as well : he machines gorgeous fighters.

This is nevertheless a german tradition, and this is definitely where it comes from. Dietmar Kressler is the most famous, and (we had the discussion here with Steven Garsson) I think Karl-Heinz Koob is the absolute master. His knives are actual handmade knives. See his workshop : no heavy duty machines, no CNC. Mostly traditional handwork with files.

werkstatt01.jpg

He made this knife only twice since 1989, but I wanted it in a luxury rendition. Here’s the original knife :

aquila2.jpg

I also wanted it to be engraved by one of the best European engravers: Alain Lovenberg, from belgium. This guy engraves the most beautiful rifles in the world (Purdeys, Holland and Holland) for some very famous people. He also makes engraving on luxury watches (I can’t give the brandname here but there are the most sought after swiss watches). And occasionally he engraves knives.

Here is the sketch he did for me :

projetcouteaukoob_zpsdd0a6490.jpg

Knife ready to be engraved :

aquila_bri_2013_gr_zps618e8121.jpg

More than 2 years later (!!), engraved, ready for heat treatment :

koob_aquila_grave_zpsohouadjm.jpg

After heat treatment (with a kind of technical secret trick to protect engraving from any damage), the knife went back to Lovenberg for the gold work on lizard and butterfly. It took 6 more months… (shooted in my car in Gembloux, Belgium, just before I send the knife back to Koob for handle and end finish).

goldarbeit_zpsp7ryo5rh.jpeg

An astounding Work of Art..........that's a magnificent knife, many congratulations for having the tenacity and patience to commission such an extraordinary piece.

As an aside, I would give about anything to be able to 'sketch' like that.... :)

Beautifully designed and executed Full Integral knife no doubt about that!
Making a Full Integral without partly aided by "heavy" machinery is an
amazing and time consuming job especially when choosing a relatively
complex design like this!

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Just gorgeous! How much does somethimg like that cost if you don't mind? In case I want to pursue a similar piece... Thanks, and congrats on owning such a magnificent work of art.

Patrick
Really stunning knife that was made by my friend Karl-Heinz. Over the last years i saw this knife "growing" to this final state.Congrats and love it!

Bracco

Back