Kephart Knife

Thanks to Mark Zalesky of Knife Magazine at the Oregon Knife Collector Show, I had a chance to handle one of the two known surviving real Kephart knives. I have bad news for all those custom makers out there, none of them are getting the handle right. It has contours that just don't show in a flat photo. A very plain but highly practical design.

Sidehill, were you able to get any photos of the knife's handle from different angles? It would be great to see the actual profile!

Regards,
Ron

Not my knife and given Mark is a writer wanting to do his own work, I didn't take any. Mark did tell me he has discovered another knife that will be even more remarkable to bushcraft fans. He hopes to follow with an article on it soon.

So what exactly are the modern makers getting wrong with regard to the original Horace Kephart knife?

I also got to handle the Kephart at the OKCA show :) Phenomenal design! Simple in profile but with some complex handle shaping. I was really impressed!! Quite the experience being able to hold such a historic blade! Mark even pointed out where there were still some rasp marks on the handle from it's build.

I was a late adopter of the Kephart style blade. It was plain looking, almost boring. It's easy to get sucked in by all the shapes, styles and sizes.

Then I began reading some of Kephart's writings. The guy was obviously a woods runner. I had to chuckle. As he himself said, his knife was the ugliest one he owned.

But then he countered that by saying. It gets more use than all the rest put together. That was kind of my tipping point. And I haven't looked back since.

Yes, the style is basic. But in reality most of what I do in the woods is basic stuff.

We modern woods guys like to think we are breaking new ground. Doing new things and pushing the envelope futher. But in reality. Guys from Kephart's time, and even way earlier. Were doing everything we do today. Probably more of it, with less gear, and most likely in a better fashion.

I truly envy you guys that got to handle an actual Kephart knife. It must have been a moving experience. For the history, for the man, and for the actual knife. Very Cool!

I have only the replicas to fill my time and my hands. But even they speak to me. The simple, functional, uncluttered, style just makes sense to me. Everything you need, and nothing you don't.

Ironically, stumbling onto this thread is rather timely. I just snatched a Lucas Forge Kephart off the secondary market yesterday. It is as new. So I'm very excited anyways. Reading this is just icing on the cake.

Mine showed this morning. I'm a happy camper!
i-TmmMncz-XL.jpg

I know this is out of place a bit, but this gathering in GA is something some of you might be interested in. http://horacekephart.com/index.html I didn't want to start a new thread about Kephart. There appears to be an up coming documentary on Horace Kephart. I just finished reading his book "Our Southern Highlanders".

Last edited:
Thanks to Mark Zalesky of Knife Magazine at the Oregon Knife Collector Show, I had a chance to handle one of the two known surviving real Kephart knives. I have bad news for all those custom makers out there, none of them are getting the handle right. It has contours that just don't show in a flat photo. A very plain but highly practical design.
I am not sure they are getting it wrong but are more then likely just changing things a bit to make it their own. A little creative license.

Does anyone know what year these were first offered by Colclesser?

You've probably seen it, but they were noted for their willingness to make it for the general public in 1897 -

https://books.google.com/books?id=E6NZd17WtWoC&pg=PA328&lpg=PA328&dq=colclesser+brothers&source=bl&ots=pH9dwook7e&sig=mfN2NzPgF5DfeDfo3xAuhqZGrJ8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf4pzCkL7UAhUEHD4KHW9ZAwU4ChDoAQhiMA0#v=onepage&q=colclesser brothers&f=false .

That snippet from the book makes it sound like the journey from single knife to production was pretty quick.

Last edited:
Back