Kephart Knife

Great example of why I don't like collector price guides. The author had never seen an original Kephart but they didn't have any special historical importance to him. So he set a price for one that is a lot lower than those interested in the pattern would have.

Last edited:
Gentlemen - I just read this all and I want to thank everybody for educating this 62 y/o hillbilly from WV.
I can't say anything about this knife that hasn't been uttered before. But this just proves one thing, you don't need all those bells and whistles.
I do have to mention, did Ontario pattern the Blackbird after the Kephart?
Is that the one Creek Stewart uses?
BTW - I'd sell my hiking boots for a true replica! :)

I am finding mine to be a great all around woods companion.
i-659zGkt-XL.jpg

Mr. Viking, I can only assume that you, like the rest of us, have multiple knives in this size. Having said that, are you carrying this knife and only this knife lately?
I remember when we used to do passarounds here. I never ever felt the need. This is one knife I might consider.
The maker should offer?

I was really interested in the Modern Kephart made by Bark River. Then it was reduced in price and sold out. May order one from one of the custom guys. I honestly don't know if I would be interested in a Kabar copy design... especially if it is painted black. The Condor version is okay, but I would like a slightly longer blade around 5" which is why I him hawed around and didn't order the Bark River version. Something in CPM 154 would work for me.

I think I'd rather go with carbon on one. I'd feel closer to the original with one that'd developed a patina. Plus, call me crazy, call me old fashioned (which I am) but I can work carbon steel better than the latest and greatest stainless steels. I know, I'm a weird 62 y/o hillbilly from southern WV. Dad taught me how to sharpen a knife when I was about 10 years old. I could work a burr up way back then.

I was really interested in the Modern Kephart made by Bark River. Then it was reduced in price and sold out. May order one from one of the custom guys. I honestly don't know if I would be interested in a Kabar copy design... especially if it is painted black. The Condor version is okay, but I would like a slightly longer blade around 5" which is why I him hawed around and didn't order the Bark River version. Something in CPM 154 would work for me.

Rimfire,

I may be able to help you.

But it was a long day in the woods. Expect a PM or email tomorrow.

Mr. Viking, ifin you ever get crazy and fall off your rocker, would you sell that Lucas Forge Kephart to me? I've got an appendix I could get by without. :)

Rimfire,

I may be able to help you.

But it was a long day in the woods. Expect a PM or email tomorrow.
Just for info, I'm going out of town tomorrow (Friday) and wil be out of pocket for a couple days.

Kootaga, I am not so much interested in one that matches something Kephart actually used. I'm thinking pure function which is what attracted me to the Bark River Modern Kephart (the guard).

You're right about having quite a few knives that are or potentially woods users.

Last edited:
Mr. Viking, ifin you ever get crazy and fall off your rocker, would you sell that Lucas Forge Kephart to me? I've got an appendix I could get by without. :)
Lol! That is a purity Kephart isn't it, a real looker as well as a real functioning woods knife I would think. Good luck buddy on your quest. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rim fire and NATO. I guess everybody now knows I'm looking. This knife calls out to the purist in me. I'm definitely not a fancy person. I don't go for double bevel whoop-de-do grinds.
That brings a question, what grind did ol Horace have on his knife?

Back