• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Kershaw resharpen

severtecher

Gold Member
Sent 3 Leeks and a Junkyard Dog to Tualatin to get resharpened. Two were EDCs and the others just slightly dull.
My biggest concern was a sharp tip as my continued stone or Sharpmaker sharpening left a mediocre tip. It took almost 5 weeks
but all came back with at least a factory edge . Razor sharp and pinhead sharp tips. Very pleased. Good job Kershaw!

I sent a knife in to be fixed and sharpened. The former says not to use a padded envelope because they areally easy ro damage andone lose the knife..... So what do they return my knife to me in?... a damn padded envelope with holes from shipping. Sent them a couple messenger asking what the hell and got no reply.

I won't be sending them anything else.

Hey there.

First post in this forum. I guess its the first time in 11 years I might be able to add value, or not...

I just sent Kershaw my sons Volt 2 a couple weeks ago to get the Speedsafe fixed (the spring broke) and sharpen it. I sort of liked it without the spring, but it isn't my knife! It should be coming back sometime in the next few weeks. I was going to call them and see if they would just send me a spring, but the website indicated that they don't have the parts for non-US made models. So I packaged up a $20 knife like a vase from the Ming dynasty and sent it to them. I'll post back here if this ends up being a "do as I say and not as I do" sort of deal with the shipping container :). Nice to hear that you had a good experience with their sharpening results.
H1

I sent a knife in to be fixed and sharpened. The former says not to use a padded envelope because they areally easy ro damage andone lose the knife..... So what do they return my knife to me in?... a damn padded envelope with holes from shipping. Sent them a couple messenger asking what the hell and got no reply.

I won't be sending them anything else.

This makes sense from their point of view. If it gets lost in shipment to them, well, you're the shipper, it's your loss unless it's insured. Shipping back to you, they're playing the odds, and if it gets lost in transit, they can pick another off the shelf and ship it out to you. Cheaper for them to self-insure and make good any losses in shipping than to spend the extra $.75 per shipment on a box... when multiplied by how many thousands of shipments a year.

Hey there.

First post in this forum. I guess its the first time in 11 years I might be able to add value, or not...

I just sent Kershaw my sons Volt 2 a couple weeks ago to get the Speedsafe fixed (the spring broke) and sharpen it. I sort of liked it without the spring, but it isn't my knife! It should be coming back sometime in the next few weeks. I was going to call them and see if they would just send me a spring, but the website indicated that they don't have the parts for non-US made models. So I packaged up a $20 knife like a vase from the Ming dynasty and sent it to them. I'll post back here if this ends up being a "do as I say and not as I do" sort of deal with the shipping container :). Nice to hear that you had a good experience with their sharpening results.
H1

FYI, they have sent me springs before.

8 weeks and no knife, so I sent an email. Received a response in a few hours letting me know that the knife will be to us in a week.

This makes sense from their point of view. If it gets lost in shipment to them, well, you're the shipper, it's your loss unless it's insured. Shipping back to you, they're playing the odds, and if it gets lost in transit, they can pick another off the shelf and ship it out to you. Cheaper for them to self-insure and make good any losses in shipping than to spend the extra $.75 per shipment on a box... when multiplied by how many thousands of shipments a year.

It was a discontinued model. If it had been lost I would have been extremely upset even more so because of their BS shipping.

So I won't be buying or sending in anymore of their knives. Doesn't matter to them and solves the problem for me.

The quality of service and turnaround time is likely a function of which particular employee's bin your job gets dropped into.

I've dealt with KAI W&R five times...each of the 5 my job<s> were back home in around a month. :thumbsup:

They have provided me with spare springs for a Leek & a Tyrade also...no charge. :)

The best experience I had was when I sent a RJ Martin Groove collab in for a factory sharpening. It had a bit of lock rock but I didn't mention it because the knife was a gift and I didn't want to risk them keeping it if they couldn't repair it. A couple weeks later my Groove was returned with a razor sharp edge and the lock rock magically erased. :D

My knife never showed up. No big deal, will send another email and see. Maybe they lost it.

Got around to sending them an email message today (I gave them some extra time instead of bugging them right off) and received a USPS tracking number back in 1 hour and an apology for the delay. I'll check the tracking number tomorrow and see if it goes someplace. Tracking the long lost Kershaw :).

OK, so the knife arrived yesterday according to the tracking information. There was a snowstorm so I didn't get out to the mailbox until today. It was packed in a heavy cardboard box probably 8X12 inches with a lot of brown paper packing inside.

The bottom line in my experience was:
It took longer than they said it would. (Feb 14th - April 29th)
They responded the same day to my emails, once within an hour.
The emails were professional, polite and personal.
They provided a tracking number in an email without my asking.
They provided a brand new knife in the box instead of repairing the old one (I marked on their form that it had no sentimental value so this is fine).
I received an email with an apology for the delay.
BTW, I was wasn't the slightest bit upset in my communications (as you can tell I wasn't all that worried about it :)

The new knife is razor sharp, has no blade play, has a stronger spring and was supplied new in the box.
I hope this is helpful,

H1
<edit, I forgot about the extra email>

Back