Kiku Fixed Blade

Well, this much I would say
That it's an eye catching design
And more likely to be seen as a sorta combatives knife.
So that might be one reason
Why happy campers don't chatter about it.
Having said that I think it has some very awesome grinds.
That might put off some who view knives as utility tools.
As far as actual performance goes
you tube really is the best source to turn to....
http://www.tactical-life.com/knives...beautiful-blades/#review-sog-kiku-knives-lead

Also, anything smaller than the large kiku fixed blade
Would find the skull crusher far too short a protrusion
To be effective for that use.
Not unless one has small hands.

Last edited:
I handled the fixed blade Kiku at the SOG headquarters a couple of miles from my house more than a year ago. IMHO, the knifes eye appeal was it's best point, (to me), handling it I still prefer a lot of other designs. This is one reason I don't like buying sight and hands unseen.

Neither size was a comfortable fit in my hand. That's not a condemnation of the knife per se, just that somethings can look very nice but not end up feeling right. I've also had the opposite happen where something just seemed wrong until I actually used it and ended up getting one.

Kiku first arrived on the market touting an indestructible kitchen type knife, and his product took off after being talked up by his distributor, and stories from SWAT use. I have purchased 3 of his knives, the DB in D2 and two Shinobi's in OU31. I gingerly began using the Shinobi for work - gingerly because these are expensive but after some months I am not holding back from normal use because I want to see how the steel really rates when used. Kiku has been a masterful salesman but not much real information has come down. You can find the scripted talking points about OU31, and stories of Kiku's legendary grinding mastery but there are few reports from real users. The SWAT article I felt was pathetic as they beat the dickens out of a knife to where it was just a beat up knife that they needed to regrind - a fan shaft would have fared as well. I watched his You Tube presentation on sharpening and thought it too was a serious underachievement. (In contrast, if you want a first rate video on sharpening check out Murray Carter's video, and I am no fan of his knives).
So what have we got? I feel that Kiku has pushed image over substance and I find these things about OU31. It is Hard, 64rc they say and in order to effectively sharpen it you must deal with 2 things. You need courser stones to sharpen them and you must deal with the needlessly thick grind lines... more metal must be removed to get back to the edge you craft on the knife. Simply running with his Moran Edge over and over sounds respectful and nice but it is not practical, you need to put your own grind on it 18 or 21 degrees, or what works for that knife.
So, when the first runs of knives were sold the next came out new and improved - but these were simply thicker and beefier, and just as hard.
When I use a knife I quickly respect the steel type for what it will do, its characteristics of sharpening, and its ability to work for me. The Kiku knives need to be touched up every day just like my others, it is just a little harder to do. The answer to improving a knife is not to make it harder, or beefier but rather to adjust steel content, manufacturing processes, and/or heat treatment.
I believe OU31 would perform just as well at 62rc as it does at 64rc. The extra hardness is simply part of the mystique, and a knife that has not yet delivered superior performance. Use still quickly dulls the edge and produces micro chipping. Soon I'll see if it holds up to light prying but I am no out there to subvert my knives, they are tools but I prefer it when they really perform. Cutting into car bodies isn't performance, nor is chopping down doors, opening stuck windows, or other abusive stuff Cops do with knives, it is the ability for an knife to maintain some sort of an edge and neither roll nor chip when really used. For this I will offer a tip of the hat to Steve Brooks, his hunting knives were the best. If you have one, cherish it.

Kiku first arrived on the market touting an indestructible kitchen type knife, and his product took off after being talked up by his distributor, and stories from SWAT use. I have purchased 3 of his knives, the DB in D2 and two Shinobi's in OU31. I gingerly began using the Shinobi for work - gingerly because these are expensive but after some months I am not holding back from normal use because I want to see how the steel really rates when used. Kiku has been a masterful salesman but not much real information has come down. You can find the scripted talking points about OU31, and stories of Kiku's legendary grinding mastery but there are few reports from real users. The SWAT article I felt was pathetic as they beat the dickens out of a knife to where it was just a beat up knife that they needed to regrind - a fan shaft would have fared as well. I watched his You Tube presentation on sharpening and thought it too was a serious underachievement. (In contrast, if you want a first rate video on sharpening check out Murray Carter's video, and I am no fan of his knives).
So what have we got? I feel that Kiku has pushed image over substance and I find these things about OU31. It is Hard, 64rc they say and in order to effectively sharpen it you must deal with 2 things. You need courser stones to sharpen them and you must deal with the needlessly thick grind lines... more metal must be removed to get back to the edge you craft on the knife. Simply running with his Moran Edge over and over sounds respectful and nice but it is not practical, you need to put your own grind on it 18 or 21 degrees, or what works for that knife.
So, when the first runs of knives were sold the next came out new and improved - but these were simply thicker and beefier, and just as hard.
When I use a knife I quickly respect the steel type for what it will do, its characteristics of sharpening, and its ability to work for me. The Kiku knives need to be touched up every day just like my others, it is just a little harder to do. The answer to improving a knife is not to make it harder, or beefier but rather to adjust steel content, manufacturing processes, and/or heat treatment.
I believe OU31 would perform just as well at 62rc as it does at 64rc. The extra hardness is simply part of the mystique, and a knife that has not yet delivered superior performance. Use still quickly dulls the edge and produces micro chipping. Soon I'll see if it holds up to light prying but I am no out there to subvert my knives, they are tools but I prefer it when they really perform. Cutting into car bodies isn't performance, nor is chopping down doors, opening stuck windows, or other abusive stuff Cops do with knives, it is the ability for an knife to maintain some sort of an edge and neither roll nor chip when really used. For this I will offer a tip of the hat to Steve Brooks, his hunting knives were the best. If you have one, cherish it.

Thanks for sharing your experience as an owner.
I have found little online in the way of user experience with knives made by Kiku.
I personally find them quite aesthetically appealing however If I got one It would actually get used and not just admired. Unfortunately I have seen a couple of reports of edge chipping which don't appear to have happened during particularly hard use.
Any other thoughts you would like to share on your experience? (help me rule one out or tell me what I'm missing lol)

I've used the Kiku exclusively this last year and have not been impressed with its performance. After each use I keep it touched up and recently came to the conclusion that I needed to thin the blade to maintain a thinner edge. The steel retains all its over the top hardness and I keep looking for its sweet spot - the perfect place where edge retention and ease of sharpening meet but I have not found it. I see this particular model has been beefed up even more making it thicker but that is no different than putting an edge on a 2x4 last year and thinking there is a benefit buying up and putting an edge on a 3x4 this year. It carries well iwb appendix because of the shape of the handle, that is its only merit. Sorry to say I am done with his stuff and will run this one out till I find a suitable replacement. Knives are tools, the good ones rise and shine, it's just that if you really use your stuff there is always a sifting. I get it.

This thread is about the "Kiku" models labeled and sold by SOG. They are designed by Kikuo Matsuda, a custom maker in Seki but they are made completely in a Taiwan factory. These knives are Aus8, and only this year upped to VG10. So opinions on OU31 or other actual Kiku knives aren't really relevant. The only real hand made in Seki SOG Kikus were the few collaboration models that Kikuo Matsuda did for Spencer Fraser several years ago, using Ou31 steel and sold as presentation boxed numbered limited editions. These have become collectors items are rarely seen now.

KU-01 Bowie
KU-03 Dagger
KU-02 Tanto

Last edited:
Back