• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Knife Sharpening Service

People can only recommend providers from this site due to Bladeforum rules. I'd make sure that whoever you chose comes well recommended. I'd test them out first with a knife you don't care too much about.

I've had bad experiences with knife sharpeners including a famous Master Smith (who participates here) and a famous stock removal maker who sharpened their own blades. I've had both good and bad experience from commercial sharpeners at knife manufacturers, cutlery store and gun shows. The basic problem is they all took off more metal than needed because they use machines and/or changed the original grind too much. I sharpen all my knives myself now, unless its a cheap knife that needs a re-profile and I don't want to take the time.

i know a guy on instagram thats one of the better ones, i cant comment who because he is not a bladeforums vendor.

ill be sending a few to REK for a regrind and sharpening once i get around to it, he does a good job from what ive seen.

but... be careful who you choose cause some people sharpen just for the money rather than giving a damn (certainly not everyone). some well known sharpeners are crap but they keep getting people to promote them so people who dont know any better and use their service and end up with scratchy or foggy mirror edges that really dont keep an edge because the sharpener did a piss poor job, skipping grits and rushing through it... not to mention stripping screws and what not in the process.
^can anyone guess who im talking about in particular? lol dont answer that.

Last edited:
i know a guy on instagram thats one of the better ones, i cant comment who because he is not a bladeforums vendor.

ill be sending a few to REK for a regrind and sharpening once i get around to it, he does a good job from what ive seen.

but... be careful who you choose cause some people sharpen just for the money rather than giving a damn (certainly not everyone). some well known sharpeners are crap but they keep getting people to promote them so people who dont know any better and use their service and end up with scratchy or foggy mirror edges that really dont keep an edge because the sharpener did a piss poor job, skipping grits and rushing through it... not to mention stripping screws and what not in the process.
Yeah that would be the problematic aspect of having to limit your recommendations to only registered vendors on a specific site, as opposed to being able to just recommend who you feel positively about.

If people are asking about sharpening services, don't just say some people are bad and not name them. The only 2 I know right now that are taking new people and do a good job are REK and TLE. I plan on getting some work from Josh at REK sometime, and I've gotten a few knives done by Bryce at TLE which ended up great.

Don't just say certain people are bad or unsatisfactory without naming them because that's completely useless without a name, and it's pretty rude to knowingly let people get work done by bad workers because you didn't want to call them out for not doing the service they were paid for.

I'll vote for Josh at REK. There are a couple attributes of craftsmen, IMO, which are important:

1) Is it just a job or do they care (Mo2's point)?
2) What is their level of work?
3) How do they handle problems?
4) What are their communication & management skills?

I met Josh via computer early this year as I was looking for a craftsman to work on a couple knives for the cancer research fundraiser I was running. Josh definitely cares about his work, and he takes his work very seriously and personally. We did have a problem - not Josh's fault - with one knife, and Josh stepped up to handle it. He went very far out of his way to turn a problem into a win; this is important, because let's face it: problems do happen.

Lost and not least: Josh has excellent communication skills and time management skills. I know he's a busy guy; but I also know that he made time to send me emails at 11PM on a weekend evening when that's what it took.

Josh and I had one outstanding disagreement. I insisted on paying him extra when he took care of the problem that wasn't his, and he wouldn't let me pay a penny, absorbing all the cost.

That's the kind of service provider I want to work with all the time.

I have mine sharpened at EpicureanEdge in Kirkland, WA because Daniel puts an amazing edge on anything.

If people are asking about sharpening services, don't just say some people are bad and not name them....

Don't just say certain people are bad or unsatisfactory without naming them because that's completely useless without a name, and it's pretty rude to knowingly let people get work done by bad workers because you didn't want to call them out for not doing the service they were paid for.

This isn't the God, Bad & Ugly subforum, nothing wrong with accentuating the positive. Plus why piss on a person's business, Karma can be a harsh mistress, I know I scew up at work sometimes.

This isn't the God, Bad & Ugly subforum, nothing wrong with accentuating the positive.
LOL, you have a strange way of "accentuating the positive." Apparently it involves accentuating the negative but vaguely.

People can only recommend providers from this site due to Bladeforum rules. I'd make sure that whoever you chose comes well recommended. I'd test them out first with a knife you don't care too much about.

I've had bad experiences with knife sharpeners including a famous Master Smith (who participates here) and a famous stock removal maker who sharpened their own blades. I've had both good and bad experience from commercial sharpeners at knife manufacturers, cutlery store and gun shows. The basic problem is they all took off more metal than needed because they use machines and/or changed the original grind too much. I sharpen all my knives myself now, unless its a cheap knife that needs a re-profile and I don't want to take the time.

This isn't the God, Bad & Ugly subforum, nothing wrong with accentuating the positive. Plus why piss on a person's business, Karma can be a harsh mistress, I know I scew up at work sometimes.

Crapping on people without naming them means we are all to guess who they are which means it could be anyone. It puts the actual good folks in question. Just because this isn't the GB&U doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. Name names or be quiet. You can't on one hand bash folks and the on the other say you are only being positive. It's not right nor accurate....

I've used Razor Edge Knives before, Josh does a terrific job.

I have two knives out with Bryce (http://www.bladeforums.com/members/t-l-e-sharp.455168/) right now, I'm expecting great things.
I've got one with TLE now. It will be nice to be able to give another quality recommendation around here like REK. I normally do all my edges by hand but I won a GAW with in mind what I wanted to send in. Reprofiling by hand can be a rewarding painful process. I'm glad TLE is looking after this one.

Crapping on people without naming them means we are all to guess who they are which means it could be anyone. It puts the actual good folks in question. Just because this isn't the GB&U doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. Name names or be quiet. You can't on one hand bash folks and the on the other say you are only being positive. It's not right nor accurate....
I don't want the backlash and they are also not a vendor on the forum either. If you want to know I'd be happy to share via PM. I'm sure there are plenty of vendors on the forum that give a damn.

I don't want the backlash and they are also not a vendor on the forum either. If you want to know I'd be happy to share via PM. I'm sure there are plenty of vendors on the forum that give a damn.
That is why it is important to be specific. Until now you did not mention the person you were talking negative about wasn't a member here. You had us all guessing which doesn't help anything.

I can vouch for Bryce of TLE Sharpening. He's done several of my knives with beautiful results and has 3 more of mine right now. A+ service as far as I'm concerned. :)

Back