Knock-Off, Counterfeit, Fake Bucks & The Americans Who Sell Them

I haven't seen this one for sale here in the US yet, but it's just a matter of time I'm sure.
Note the differences in the grooves on the scales, the pivot screw and no Buck stamp on the pocket clip. I've yet to see one of the fakes that has a Buck label with the model number and bar code either.

Pictures of the real thing are posted below each picture of the fake for comparison.

Fake:

Real:

Fake:

Real:

It seems that using the label with the model number and the barcode is a good way to distinguish fake,but i ever saw a fake with a label even a barcode.I don't know if the number of the labels is real but normal people can't distinguish it.The means of offraud is amazing!

This counterfit 860 Hartsook with the whistle sheath is brought to us by a seller in Roswell, NM proving there really is an alien presence. I wonder if marking counterfits with Military logos is going to be a new trend. It did attract bidders but the price did not go very high.

"BUCK KNIFE WITH "UNITED STATES ARMY 1ST CAVALRY DIV." SCRIPT AND LOGO ENGRAVED ON THE HIGH IMPACT GRADE PLASTIC SHEATH."

860HartsookCounterfit2_zpsaa84e68e.jpg

860HartsookCounterfit1_zps9040394d.jpg

I am thinking about selling my Buck limited edition vanguard Champagne deer knife. It is 1 of 2000 and I have seen this exact same knife being sold be others with a serial # 1 of 2000? This makes me curious if Buck made several labeled 1 of 2000 or are others fakes or is mine a fake!? With the blade facing out, the Buck stamp is on the right side of the blade and the 1 of 2000 is labeled on the left side. I have the black limited edition box and id sticker that reads 192 CHAMPAGNE ZRN DEER with 0192-SP5-0 below the top print then in smaller print on the bottom is has CAT. 9171.

The major differences to mine versus the one sold on Ebay is my buck stamp is on a different side of the blade and on the id sticker has the "ZRN" between CHAMPAGNE DEER. Any experts out there that can help me out with this?

This is not from a US seller, but came up when I was searching for a nice used Buck 102 Woodsman. This is currently up for sale among many other "knives" from a seller in China.

"BUCK Woodsman Pocket Medium Straight Blade Fixed Knives Tactical Boot Knife TA" "NEW"

Yep this knife comes up really often if you do not restrict your search to US or North America. It still comes up from US sellers as do a lot of other cheap china clones. I email the US sellers often to point out what they are really selling and hope all the other buck folks, including you, will continue to do. I get a wide range of responses from US sellers when they respond. Impossible to prevent this but like the saying goes, Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

Good video on how to identify real vs fake Hartsook 860 & Smidgen 160 (fake has whistle sheath, for one thing)

[video=youtube;_ChBzArERkw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChBzArERkw[/video]

Limit your search to "US Only" and the numbers will diminish dramatically. That's what I do.

This site and forum are awesome. You guys just save me a whole lot of money and aggravation. I have purchased several so called Buck knives from the bay. I was suspicious when I received the first one but had ordered several more. There are pictures of them all over this forum. I have several pictures of other knives I do not see it listed here which are most likely counterfeits. I will be sending them in. I went through the same thing with Sterling silver on the bay and received all of my money back, however, not for all the aggravation and time wasted. The bay allows this to continue and after complaining along with others there are even more vendors selling these counterfeit items.

About two months ago I sent an email to Buck knives asking if any buck knives were being made in China or distributed through China. The vice Pres.of Buck knives sent me an email back stating that although they regret that some Buck knives are being made in China it was a decision they had to make in an effort to boost revenue in order to save the company. Now that I have purchased several of these knives and examined them I realize they're all counterfeit. The bay allows this to go on. Bad reviews should weed out most of The vendors selling fakes but the bay allows them to bury and or remove the bad reviews so people don't know. The bay removes these bad reviews, I believe, once they refund the money. This should not be allowed. The vendors in this country who sell counterfeit Buck knives get them from these vendors on the bay from China. I have seen American vendors selling these knives at regular prices

Good video on how to identify real vs fake Hartsook 860 & Smidgen 160 (fake has whistle sheath, for one thing)

[video=youtube;_ChBzArERkw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChBzArERkw[/video]

China is flooding this country with counterfeit Buck knives purchased from the bay from China. These are just two more knives that I have seen

I think this prudent information?

6036846009_7654bb5cf0.jpg

buck-datecode-graphic2.jpg

so you can see what you are buying if genuine.

Last edited:
Good information.

BUT

I have seen it at least suggested that some counterfeits may be coming out of the same factories as the genuine goods.

It's not like duplicating knife markings and paper boxes is technically challenging. We should be thankful that many counterfeiters are incompetent or inept. North Korea does much better with U.S. $20.00s.

If you check his feedback, you'll see the negative that I left for him.

In my experience, ebay has ruined the value of feedback. Awhile ago I bought an operators manual for a piece of agricultural equipment, and the seller lied in the ad by claiming the book had DOUBLE the number of pages of information in it for me to learn about the equipment. When I complained to him, he said if I didn't like it, FIRST, I should trust him and return it at my expense, for a refund. My view was "if he lied about this, WHY would I be willing to trust him, and spend MORE money on postage, knowing I might lose the shipping AND the book?" No way. So, when I left bad feedback for him, he whined to ebay and got my feedback wiped off completely. Since then, I haven't bought anything else there. Worthless program, for me.

For what it's worth given enforcement, knowingly selling a counterfeit item is a federal crime. Not sure how admitting it's a counterfeit would help. Maybe.

OK, then how is this story possible? I was sold some US "silver dollars" one day that turned out to be damn-good-looking fakes. Cops later said (like me) they had no idea this kind of manufacturing of items and worldwide shipping for less than ten dollars each was going on, or even profitable. Since US coins are currency, I called the police, the FBI, AND the Secret Service and tried to report counterfeit currency fraud. Not a D#$% one of these agencies did a thing about it. Wouldn't even take it seriously! The government gets all in our personal business where they have no Constitutional right to do so, yet allows this to go on. BTW, I was confident they would be able to ID the guy, as it was in a major chain grocery store, where cameras were running from numerous angles for face recognition.

I am thinking about selling my Buck limited edition vanguard Champagne deer knife. It is 1 of 2000 and I have seen this exact same knife being sold be others with a serial # 1 of 2000? This makes me curious if Buck made several labeled 1 of 2000 or are others fakes or is mine a fake!? With the blade facing out, the Buck stamp is on the right side of the blade and the 1 of 2000 is labeled on the left side. I have the black limited edition box and id sticker that reads 192 CHAMPAGNE ZRN DEER with 0192-SP5-0 below the top print then in smaller print on the bottom is has CAT. 9171.

The major differences to mine versus the one sold on Ebay is my buck stamp is on a different side of the blade and on the id sticker has the "ZRN" between CHAMPAGNE DEER. Any experts out there that can help me out with this?

Since your "1 of 2000" is not serialized, all 2,000 of that series will say "1 of 2000".
This holds true for any limited edition in which the knives are not given a serial number.

Since the Buck knives are not expensive, for instance, the smidgen, why do they bother to make counterfeits? That makes even less sense than the people who counterfeit the $1.00 bill.

Since the Buck knives are not expensive, for instance, the smidgen, why do they bother to make counterfeits? That makes even less sense than the people who counterfeit the $1.00 bill.

Why make $.99 sandals? Volume + large profit% = $$$$$$$$

I went to a flea market this morning and found a case full of knock offs. I asked the guy selling them if they were real Buck Knives. He responded "YES". I told them they were all fake and he should be ashamed as an American for selling them. I told him he should move to China and then called him a few names. My wife was a bit embarrassed....my Marine Corps son loved it.

Back