Knockoffs --- Beware!!!!!

Mark Terrell

BANNED
Just a note, there's several, and I mean several knockoffs of my designs floating around out there.

I did NOT authorize any of these, but they all stem from Japanese knock off/mass production companies so there's very little that can be done.

I just posted this in another thread regarding the origin of one of these....

Here's the knock off-
][/IMG]

karambitd2pic2pe6.jpg
[/URL]

Here's my response......

It's NOT one of mine.... It is however my design (just very poorly executed). Some Japanese knock off company stole the design (along with several others of mine) and started making them and selling them with a very vague description that could lead someone to believe that it's a custom...

Believe me, it's not a custom and it's not D2.. It's some low end stainless and I know this b/c someone sent me one so I could verify....

The bad part is, I've been in negotiations with a company to sell the design outright as I've discontinued the single edged version.... So I guess they'll be dealing with the mess..

Mine will always have my logo on the primary side and will be individually numbered on the opposite side...

Here's an example of a real one....

MTHangNailGMicSEA.jpg

Here's what I discontinued it for...

IMG_8479.JPG

I know full well they aren't for everyone, but they absolutely have their use, and karambits in general are one of the best self defense/fighting knives you can use... I'd suggest looking up the fighting system involved with them as well, it is actually very interesting and it comes from a very old knife design from the Philippines.

Anyway, that knife (the knock off). Is REALLY becomming a pain in my ass. At first it was an annoyance, now I get about 3-4 emails a day asking what the deal is... I wish I could do something to these guys, but since they're in Japan, there's little I can do...

MT

Beyond that, there's been some knockoffs of my version of the WSK and 3 Finger Cleaver from another guy. The maker/faker was in Florida, and he even went so far as to duplicate my logo on those. I think there was only 3 or 4 of each of them and I did get a cease and desist against him. To my knowledge, no more than those were made.

I'll see if I can find the pics of those, but in general, just look for ones that have wavy grinds, uneven bevels or a really "weird" sawback, and you probably are looking at a fake...

Beyond that, I've heard there's fake Lancets, Crowd Pleasers and USK's floating around, but haven't seen any in person....

Anyway, the point is, if you question the validity of a knife, email me or Ren and we'll let you know..... Also here's what to look for to verify that the knife you are looking at is a genuine Mark Terrell Knife (sorry for the 3rd person reference)....

• My logo (just the artwork logo) is on the newer versions, it will ALWAYS be stamped, with no text.....
  • Each knife will be individually numbered on the right side (if looking downward from the spine)....
  • If a knife I make is sterile, it will come with a signed certificate from me...

If you ever have any questions, just let me know....

MT

There is knock off hangnails on fle-bay just now the seller is called "canadaswords" :thumbdn:

Thank you. I like your designs, but would hate to be surprised by one of these crappy knock-offs.

Sorry to see another knife designer bedevilled by thieves.:mad:

Thank you. I like your designs, but would hate to be surprised by one of these crappy knock-offs.

Sorry to see another knife designer bedevilled by thieves.:mad:

I received a note back from Canada Swords..He is pulling the item...

Funny his name is J. Wang...go figure..Probably importing a container of misc knock off stuff and selling it on the bay...

I reported the item to fle-bay as soon as i saw it.

The guy also has a few of the other regularly seen fakes like ERs, RJ Martin etc so I bet he is just shipping them in from "back home" :thumbdn:

I reported it too, yesterday right after Haze posted at 10:01 AM. Amazing what a little persuasion can do.

If you can identify the Japanese manufacturer, you could petition US Customs to bar entry of their goods. Do you have a design patent on the design or a registered trademark on your logo? Continued use of the logo is sufficient to protect it, but I'm not certain about the design of your knives.

That is terrible. I wish all the BF folks who claim 'they don't care about the ethics of the company they deal with, they just want a good knife' could look Mark straight in the eye and say that after reading this thread!

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to you Mark. This is one reason why I always try to buy my customs directly from the makers or otherwise only go to approved dealers with whom I developed trust in.

I actually have one of them that I bought from a dealer in China (sorry). I didn't know it was a ripoff of your design! I got it early last year and it is marked BBF Factory. I thought it was real D2 though because it takes a really good edge, which goes against my experience with Chinese stainless. I was quite impressed by it and was like, wow, China's putting out some decent homegrown knives now. Kinda sad to hear this one's a ripoff of an American design too. Your version definitely looks better though! :) How much does one of yours go for? I train in pencak silat and am quite good with a karambit, but I'd like one made in a Sumatran style that I've never seen attempted by an American maker...

Sorry to hear bout the knockoff troubles Mike. These folks just make me sick, already had to deal with a company from china marketing a knockoff of a German compass earlier this year.

I really like your Kerambits! Wouldn't mind picking one up. Oner of my favorite designs.

Mark, I had this happen too. Person admitted it, but was habitual about it. Contact me to see if it is the same guy hiring out the manufacturing if you'd like, but he is out of England, and not Japan. May mean nothing. He was having mine made in Pakistan. My number is on the website.

I seen those a few months ago wail doing a search for kerambits and thought it looked to close. That's a shame they are ripping you like that, and I believe the company that was selling it was Atlantic cutlery. Anyway I guess you could kinda look at it as a compliment , because they usually only rip the best maker's. Well anyway good luck with this situation.

Yeah, they're ripping about 5-6 of my designs now, but what can I really do... I've sent some cease and desist letters but it's kind of a moot point.

They love me long time apparently...

Back