• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Koa Santoku 52100 65HRC

Sporting an exceptionally thin grind, this Tosogata inspired Santoku is made from Aldo's 52100. After a normalizing procedure was done, the steel was thermal cycled 3x for fine aus grain, hardened at 1475°F and quenched into Parks 50 fast oil down to 0°F, triple tempered 2 hours each time at 300°F, for a final Rockwell hardness of 64-65HRC. The grind was taken all the way to zero and then flattened just a hair to give the edge enough support. I believe it was Don Hanson who said, "I like my knives sharp before I sharpen them". There is a lot of wisdom in that, "as geometry cuts/heat treat determines how long"*. This one fits that bill! It took all of 5 minutes on a 1200 mesh diamond plate to establish a 15° (30°total) edge and refine it with the EEF DiaSharp plate. It will grab arm hairs and sever them above the skin. Plenty sharp! There is a very slight convex just above the edge bevel. The blade has an 800 grit cleeeean satin finish, and the Koa wood handle (provided by fellow Bladeforums member and all around good guy Matthew Gregory) was taken to 1500 grit and hand polished. The handle does have a slight "D" shape favoring right hand users, but is plenty comfortable for "south paws"! Spine and choil are polished. A few specs...

OAL: 10" (254mm)
Blade: 5 5/8" (143mm)
Edge: 5 1/8" (130mm)
Handle: 4 1/2" (114mm)
Thickness: 0.095" (2.4mm)
Steel: 52100 @ 64-65HRC
Edge: 30° inclusive @ 3 micron (DMT EEF)

Santoku1_zpscqqahlva.jpg
(blade on this pic looks larger in this pic than it does in hand)

Santoku2_zpsd2rotzyg.jpg
(blade/handle proportions look accurate in this pic)

Santoku3_zpsavukdymg.jpg

Asking price for this slicing machine is only SOLD. This includes a felt lined plastic blade guard, free shipping anywhere in the USA, and lifetime sharpening/polishing services. Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com), but I'm perfectly willing to take a check and ship once cleared by the bank. Thank you so much for your interest!

*quote from German knife maker/metallurgist Roman Landes

Follow me on IG: stuartalandavenport

Last edited:
Hello. I tried to respond. Not sure why it didn't go to you. My apologies. I am a serious buyer (perhaps to serious). I am in Australia and so if you are open to shipping here can you provide a quote. if not I will pay and send you an address in the US to ship to. Sorry for any confusion

Glad to hear from you! According to US Postal Service website...a small flat rate box to Australia would be $34.95 (US Dollars). So total Paypal would be $284.95. I will eat the PayPal fees. I will hold the knife as SPF and ship once paid. You might contact me with your shipping address as well. Email address is samuraistuart@yahoo.com (same as Paypal address). Thank you.

Ok so I made the payment to you. I provided a local US shipping address (mother in-law) and i will be there July 4th to pick it up. I look forward to using your knife for the holiday cooking period. I will not have my stones with me so can you do your best on the sharpening before shipping. Many thanks I think the profile is sensational which is why i wanted to have a this knife

Thanks so much Kevsher, payment received ... and the US shipping address makes it easy. The blade is already sharpened...and I think you'll really like that edge. Shipping out tomorrow. I probably should put "to the attention of...your name". So I would need your name, or at least your mother in law's. All I have thus far is "Climate Wise".

Hello. I wanted to check in and see if you had sent this item. it has not arrived yet. many thanks.

Kev....I sent you a message thru the BF message system. You might check there. Yes...knife is shipped. There was a shipping delay....I ran out of edge protectors and had to weight a few days till the new shipment arrived. If you don't get the knife within the next few days, let me know. Take care!

Stuart I just got the knife and used it for the first time. Wow it's a beauty... great craft and so sharp out of the box. Plus your note was very special and I feel I bough something of a work of art from someone who cares about their product and customer... thank you so much..

Back