Kong: Skull Island Ka Bar

I went to see Kong over the weekend. One of the characters, Chapman, sticks his Ka-Bar in a tree, hangs his gear on it and the camera kinda stops on it to show a letter or something sentimental.

The movie was to take place in 1973 but his Ka-Bar was a partially serrated, 7" coated version with the modern three-small-one-large-three small serrations.

I know hollywood can't get every detail correct but it got me curious as to just how far they were off (if they were off). When did Ka-Bar introduce the partially serrated Fighting Knife?

Pretty far off.

Kabar started re-making the model 1217 (WW2 1219C2) in 1979.

The serrated edges came out in 1997.

Edited to fix the dates.

Last edited:
Pretty far off.

Kabar started re-making the model 1217 (WW2 1219C2) in 1979.

The serrated edges came out in 1997.

Edited to fix the dates.

Thanks.

Figured as much but nothing surprises me anymore. I left it open with the "if" so someone can chime in with a rare 1960's one-off partially serrated, never-before-seen version that their great uncle's friend made while working there:p.

I know that style of serration didn't come about until the 80's. I wasn't sure if they ever used a different style.

I noticed that too. Pretty good movie all together though, the 3D was fantastic. Did you stay for the after credits scene?

everyone knows that real operators serrated their knives by hand with the bones of their enemies :D

I noticed that too. Pretty good movie all together though, the 3D was fantastic. Did you stay for the after credits scene?

No, I missed it but caught it later when someone pointed me to the youtube video. I figured it out early in the movie when "Monarch" was mentioned that they'd tie it to the 2014 Godzilla.:thumbup:

There is another scene where one of the soldiers unsheaths a large bowie but it didn't get enough camera time to ID it. The variety of weapons in the movie was great but there were some glaring mistakes. The serrated KaBar wasn't the worst of it.

Samuel Jacksons 1911 was missing a barrel bushing, and the scope on his M14 disappeared at some point in the movie. Just about everyone carried a different caliber/chambering and I don't think the US Army used Sea Stallions in 73. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's a Navy chopper.:p

"Samuel Jacksons 1911 was missing a barrel bushing" Sorry, but It's not a 1911, its a Colt 1902 , kind of the 1911's Grand Dad...

Back