Off Topic Kurkri legality

Hey guys so I was wondering on a good question to ask...are kurkris legal in California? I know dirks, daggers and stilletos are illegal...but none of these match the kurkri definition...any thoughts?

Hey guys so I was wondering on a good question to ask...are kurkris legal in California? I know dirks, daggers and stilletos are illegal...but none of these match the kurkri definition...any thoughts?

As far as I know it's legal anywhere in California to own a khukuri.

At the other extreme, it's probably illegal anywhere in California to kill someone or lop off a limb with a khukuri, unless you can prove that it was in self defense and no lesser measures were available. The operative word here is prove -- preferably with impartial witnesses, video or other objective means -- not just assert or claim or believe. California does not have a "stand your ground" law, whatever you might think of such laws.

In between those extremes it depends on what jurisdiction you're in, and what you're doing with the khukuri. There are state laws, which tend to be permissive for open carry, but more restrictive for concealed carry. There are local laws that are very restrictive in some places and less restrictive in others. Usually it depends on the blade length, and almost every khukuri would exceed the allowed length. In some places you might get away with carrying a khukuri if you can demonstrate that it is a useful tool for your occupation, such as gardening or forestry work. I doubt that carrying a khukuri just for self defense would very convincing to local police or people walking on the street who might see you as a threat.

If you're thinking of carrying a khukuri, whether openly or concealed, you should check all the relevant laws for your location. Regardless of your intentions, some people (and some police) will see your khukuri as a deadly weapon -- which it is -- so exercise common sense about when, where and how you carry it.

Last edited:
Two things:

1) If it's not illegal, it's legal. If you can't find a PC specifically stating kukris are illegal, or otherwise find a PC that describes something which would be a kukri stating it's illegal, then it's legal. I.e. kukris are legal to own in CA because nothing makes them illegal.

2) Owning a dirk or dagger is not illegal, and if by stilleto you mean an automatic knife, that's not necessarily illegal either. You may own dirks, daggers, and potentially stilletos. The PC you are thinking of defines dirks or daggers to be, basically, a knife, and prohibits you're carrying them concealed in CA.

In short, you may own and open carry a dirk or dagger (including a kukri which some enterprising lawyer might try to classify as not a dirk or dagger since they aren't readily made for thrusting, they'd probably lose though) in CA; unless county or city ordinances prohibit it. You'll have to look up and read your county and city ordinances for yourself.

As far as I know it's legal anywhere in California to own a khukuri.

At the other extreme, it's probably illegal anywhere in California to kill someone or lop off a limb with a khukuri, unless you can prove that it was in self defense and no lesser measures were available. The operative word here is prove -- preferably with impartial witnesses, video or other objective means -- not just assert or claim or believe. California does not have a "stand your ground" law, whatever you might think of such laws.

In between those extremes it depends on what jurisdiction you're in, and what you're doing with the khukuri. There are state laws, which tend to be permissive for open carry, but more restrictive for concealed carry. There are local laws that are very restrictive in some places and less restrictive in others. Usually it depends on the blade length, and almost every khukuri would exceed the allowed length. In some places you might get away with carrying a khukuri if you can demonstrate that it is a useful tool for your occupation, such as gardening or forestry work. I doubt that carrying a khukuri just for self defense would very convincing to local police or people walking on the street who might see you as a threat.

If you're thinking of carrying a khukuri, whether openly or concealed, you should check all the relevant laws for your location. Regardless of your intentions, some people (and some police) will see your khukuri as a deadly weapon -- which it is -- so exercise commons sense about when, where and how you carry it.
I see your point...I live in north Hollywood...which obviously is a place you don't want to carry one...but if I go camping for sure I'm taking it with me...

Didn't think anything was legal in California anymore unless the state says its good for you.

Khuks are legal in CA as long as you dont eat them. They cause cancer ya know:D

David: Not till next year dude! Keep it in the closet till then;)

It's all in perception. Lots of things are legal but LOOK illegal. In the state of Indiana, I can legally stroll downtown along the river with my Falcata strapped to my back. Nothing on the books about carrying a 3lb sword. However, the local LEOs might stop me and ask just WHY I was carrying said Iberian Deathbringer on a sleepy Sunday morning. The answer would be "Orcs". Actually, 75.35% of all of my answers is "Orcs", but that is a tale for another time.

What I have found carrying a large knife where it might startle others is that More is Better. What I mean is that if you camouflage the knife among your stuff strapped to your pack, you just look over-prepared. If you take off into the hills shirtless wearing nothing but a kilt and combat boots with a khuk strapped to your hip, you might not look like the always prepared boy scout.

I use this same technique when I travel to tourist traps where my carry permit doesn't apply but open carry of firearms is legal. Photographer vest, dad bag over my shoulder, camera around my neck, small .380 strapped to the front of my belt, phone case, tactical fanny pack looking thing, and some goofy looking loud Hawaiian shirt over a tank top that doesn't cover the pistol and I look like one of the masses.

Steely, I think you better schedule that psychological examination son. You lost me at the kilt and combat boots...........................

My wife is a psychologist. Over 2 decades together and 12 years of marriage, the most i get is an exasperated shrug as she waves her hands in a wha'cha'gonnado gesture

Yall got a couch, I better set up an appointment. The little people in my head are at it again.

Wouldn't be so bad if they would agree with me now and then and quit arguing amongst themselves.

Mine only speak in Dutch. Which wouldn't be so bad if I knew how to speak it...and if they would offer to pick up half the check once in awhile.

You guys kill me, man... I love it.
I've got to find some time away from the day-to-day to take my khuks outside and give them some lovin'.

I live in the SF Bay. Clip folder as EDC. Im not a lawyer or an expert, and if you talk to my wife, I might even be wrong quite frequently.... but my understanding is that CA STATE law on knives is pretty loose actually. No automatics over 2 inches, gravity knives, or ballisongs. Folders including flippers with assist are ok concealed I dont think with any blade length restrictions. I dont think there is a limit on size of a fixed blade, but you have to wear it fully visible sheathed on your belt. Cant be brandishing anything in public. Where things get confusing is county and local laws. These can all be different and potentially conflicting. That and there is always the chance a LEO could interpret the law incorrectly. Love LEOs - but I have been told different things by different officers - including friends of mine and family members ... Really you have to read up on the laws. I dont carry any fixed knives regularly with over 4 inch blade - I do love my folders.... But yeah my kukris get a lot of use on my property and when I go camping.

I live in the SF Bay. Clip folder as EDC. Im not a lawyer or an expert, and if you talk to my wife, I might even be wrong quite frequently.... but my understanding is that CA STATE law on knives is pretty loose actually. No automatics over 2 inches, gravity knives, or ballisongs. Folders including flippers with assist are ok concealed I dont think with any blade length restrictions. I dont think there is a limit on size of a fixed blade, but you have to wear it fully visible sheathed on your belt. Cant be brandishing anything in public. Where things get confusing is county and local laws. These can all be different and potentially conflicting. That and there is always the chance a LEO could interpret the law incorrectly. Love LEOs - but I have been told different things by different officers - including friends of mine and family members ... Really you have to read up on the laws. I dont carry any fixed knives regularly with over 4 inch blade - I do love my folders.... But yeah my kukris get a lot of use on my property and when I go camping.

Exactly, I live in the SF Bay Area, and I'm pretty much the same. I carry a folder as my EDC as well.

Back