Kydex health warning - READ!!!

Just recieved the spec sheets for Kydex from GE. It contained a bit of info that bothered me. We all know that the proper forming range is 380-390f, right. But did you know that at 400f Kydex produces Hydrocloric Gas vapor. This stuff is very toxic.

I used to form Kydex in my kitchen, NO LONGER. The gas vapor is also released during milling.

Be careful guys!

------------------
R.W.Clark

Proud Member : California Knifemakers Association

When I make a Kydex sheath (not often) I use the kitchen oven also. I only go up to about 315 degrees. Much higher and the durn stuff kind of melts together. Hydrocloric Gas vapor is bad stuff, thanks for the warning.

A.T.

------------------
A.T.
http://www.customknives.com
If you make, sell, or just love knives and want a website with your name
customknives.com/your.name, AND a links page for $70.00 a year? Check out
http://www.customknives.com/webdesign
AKTI #476

I bought a toaster oven from Walmart for $25. I keep it in the shop and set it between 300-350 degrees. I will keep it closer to 300 from now on. Does anyone know if the same problem exists for Concealex?

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
<A HREF="http://www.doggettcustomknives.com" TARGET=_blank>
dlogo.jpg
</A><A HREF="http://www.customknifedirectory.com" TARGET=_blank>
HeaderLogo2b.jpg
</A>

Just use a little propain heater the go on the front of a propain tank
,put cotton gloves on and work tell
it gets flexable and move from the heater to the bench works like a charm.

Per GE the proper heat range for Kydex thermoforming is 380-390. They state that any cooler and you will start to degrade the Kydex by cold forming. I'm sure that this is not really all that big an issue, if its an issue at all. Its still freaking strong stuff.

Any PVC based thermoforming sheet will emit the vapor, this would apply to Concealex as well. Concealex is really just Kydex with a few modifacations.

Also, it states that vintilation is better than a mask as the acid will also damage any metal in the area.

------------------
R.W.Clark

Proud Member : California Knifemakers Association

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE, R W. I GUESS I DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH THAT STUFF, ANYWAY.
kEN (WWJD)

------------------
KandS KNIVES

Just about every synthetic material, when ground, sawn or heated releases some sort of toxic fumes or vapors. From kydex to micarta, precautions must be taken. Teflon is another material that releases harmful vapors when heated. Teflon tape on hot water lines is a no-no.

Don't forget the natural materials either. Stag, ivory, buffalo horn and don't forget mother of pearl. Dust from these materials are not good for your lungs and in some instances, toxic.

Just use a little common sense.

C Wilkins

Peter-

That rumor has been around forever, and it is patently false.

Mother of pearl (nacre) is made up of silicates (think of it as fine sand or ground glass). As such, you should wear a mask when working it, and avoid getting it in your lungs. The material itself is inert and non-toxic, however.

Don Cowles
www.cowlesknives.com

Anything that you grind into a dust and can breathe in can present health problems, even if the material itself is not toxic. The reason is that inhaling these particles puts them at ground zero for white blood cells: your lungs. About 40% of your immune system is dedicated to lung and GI tract protection because these are the main areas that outside stuff can get in. When you breathe in particles, regardless of what they are, there will be some reaction from your immune system. Sometimes the reaction is bigger than others, but you can get some scar formation, constant irritation can cause cancer cell formation, and a lot of othr problems. I've made at least 40-50 sheaths, and probably more, and not had a problem. Haven't had a sheath break from "cold forming" either!

------------------
Dr. Steve Agocs
http://www.geocities.com/Chiro75/frames.html

agocs_s@hotmail.com

Zodiac,
Actually, Gene Osborn's Tool Time is on my Custom Knife Directory Forum
smile.gif

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
<A HREF="http://www.doggettcustomknives.com" TARGET=_blank>
dlogo.jpg
</A><A HREF="http://www.customknifedirectory.com" TARGET=_blank>
HeaderLogo2b.jpg
</A>

Have forgotten much I once knew about it, but silicosis is a close relative of both asbestosis, and black lung disease. The problem is that when certain elements/substances are enabled to reach the fine powder state, that those little particles hit your lungs at top speed when you inhale. They stick there like tiny little spears. Eventually, they simply destroy your lungs, if enough is breathed. Some people are much more sensitive than others. Asbestos has the unique ability to cause mesothelioma, a specific cancer. It is always fatal. Don't know that coal or silica do that number, but as Chiro75 said, they can cause cancers.

I'd strongly suggest using respirators. A lot of pipefitters who worked outdoors all the time, like at refineries, have suffered from all the possible diseases that asbestos can cause.

I'd also suggest that you all demand MSDS sheets on all substances that you intend to grind. Am not certain of the laws governing natural substances, but they sure as hell are required if selling manufactured substances. I'd hate to see anyone get the sort of problems that typically result in lawsuits, filed by survivors usually.

(The following was told to me by a number of people when I was working as a workers compensation investigator. I have no objective proof.) It might interest you to know that back in the days before the Gulf War, when Reagan was still Prez, he deemed it politically necessary to get the USS Missouri battle ready ASAP. Had to have another battle wagon on the seas. The shipyard in Bremerton, WA, refused to relax their asbestosis rules. So, the boat was taken to Long Beach. Some people from Bremerton went down there to work. People I've talked to said that asbestos particles were like "snow" during the retrofit/upgrade, or whatever, that the dangers of the substance were largely ignored.

It'll take another 15-20 years, but if this is true, the victims of politics will start filing workers comp claims. There was no justifiable excuse this time. We knew how dangerous asbestos was. Didn't have much use for Reagan before I learned that. Have had none since.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

[This message has been edited by Bugs3x (edited 06-21-2001).]

as someone who has been following this lung thing all my life- Im 54-was on a ship in vietnam where asbestos sifted down on top of me daily as we fired the 5 inch guns over my head.....smoked for quite a while...made surfboards (fiberglass) for 22 years... and have been making knives for almost 20.. I have talked to a LOT of people about this, many doctors and lawyers.....and the MAIN reason people get lung disease from job related polution is because THEY SMOKE CIGARETTES TOO>>>>>> this is the case 98% of the time. end of story.

From what Robert at Blade Tech recently told me, Concealex is now again called Kydex... Least thats what I was told.. I use a heat gun and a toaster oven for molding sheaths. All the stuff we as knifemakers use should kill us... If it cant kill you it wont make a good knife right? ALWAYS Wear a mask when you can, but even that wont take care of all them nasty particles and various gases..

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi
www.thrblades.com

Back