Latest efforts from a noob

I posted a thread recently showing some pocket clip sheaths that I had made from some latigo that I had laying around. I read some of the tutorials and decided to try some veg tan and wet forming. Here are my results.
These three I made as raffle prizes for a motorcycle rally I went to last weekend. They went over well. The SAK has a pocket clip on the back. The Opinel and the Soddy have a folded and wet formed belt loop.

Here's one I made for my Mud Bug. Horizontal cross-draw. Goes on my left side. I messed up the belt loop a bit. I need to make my belt loop mold thicker. Also, I need to work on even dye application. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Tip? Yes here's a tip. Buy Tannery dyed leather.....always even color.;)

Your work is really nice and well done.

Paul

I was gonna say the same thing but Paul beat me too it. Don't dye. Now here's my little take, oil in stead. Warm neatsfoot oil (VERY light coat) will give your leather a very nice warm glow. If ya need it a hair darker stick er in the sun for a bit. Let life do the rest, it will.Those splotches on the back of the crossdraw look more like the leather to me than your dye job. Probably insect bites from before it was a dead cow. You'll see that once in a while on imported leather, not so much on domestic. Scars basically.

Wet molding is great and stitching is good too. Did ya use a lighter to melt your thread? Try a very fine tipped soldering iron, lets ya be a little neater. Can the designs be pared a little?

Thanks. I'll try the oil and the soldering iron.
I started the cross-draw with the idea of emulating your pancake sheath. In addition to not having a couple of the tools, I ran out of skill.:)
I learn something every time.:thumbsup:

Back