Law Of the Sharks, Rules, Tips, and Tricks

Hello folks!

We talked this morning and in an effort to organize Fiddleback Friday's a bit we are going to implement a 3 Knife per post sharking limit. Hopefully this will make things easier on everyone.

At this time we are still not requiring that you post the full description - we may move to doing that in the future but we're not there yet. However, we may put that stipulation in if we offer up a particularly unique knife (which we are hoping to do more of. ) - to give everyone a fair shot at claiming it.

For clarity's sake - the 3 knife per post rule would apply to only the first 3 knives you list. I.e. only the first 3 knives you list will count. So, in the example below the pink flamingo would not be counted, even if the bellybuster had already been sharked by someone else. In this instance you would get the chopper and the bush knife. Sound good?

"I'll take the butternut chopper, the green bush knife, the ruby bellybuster, and the pink flamingo blade."

Thank you all. And thanks for your patience.

Ken

I think this helps level the playing field a bit . . . nicely done!

Hello folks!

We talked this morning and in an effort to organize Fiddleback Friday's a bit we are going to implement a 3 Knife per post sharking limit. Hopefully this will make things easier on everyone.

At this time we are still not requiring that you post the full description - we may move to doing that in the future but we're not there yet. However, we may put that stipulation in if we offer up a particularly unique knife (which we are hoping to do more of. ) - to give everyone a fair shot at claiming it.

For clarity's sake - the 3 knife per post rule would apply to only the first 3 knives you list. I.e. only the first 3 knives you list will count. So, in the example below the pink flamingo would not be counted, even if the bellybuster had already been sharked by someone else. In this instance you would get the chopper and the bush knife. Sound good?

"I'll take the butternut chopper, the green bush knife, the ruby bellybuster, and the pink flamingo blade."

Thank you all. And thanks for your patience.

Ken

Any photo's of the Pink Flamingo :)
Sounds like a good policy change. I have been away for awhile(life happens). When I was here before Fridays were very frantic. They are now at a supersonic level.
Good to see Mr. Roy's work being so appreciated

Thanks for the update and addressing the elephant in the room. It sounds like a great plan that will be fair to everyone.

How about one knife per post? ;) Eh? Eh? Eh?

That would really level the field!!! :cool:

Last edited:
How about one knife per post? ;) Eh? Eh? Eh?

That would really level the field!!! :cool:

- Not a bad idea. If you post 1 knife then you have 30 sec time from forum rules to put your second choice
the competition would rise tremendously
but... you will be very seriously considering which knife YOU REALY WANT.

I remember 3-4 weeks ago somebody took all 3 hiking buddies -that's not fare
if you want production quantities to resell - become a Diller

I think Andy should consider the rule of not more then 1 knife or kind ( like 1 of 3 HB)

1) what about second post?
If you put:
-HB
-bushfinger
-hunter
submit massage

and then send another 3
-arête
-bushcrafter

by different massage ( which will be later then first)
does this count?
is it 3 knives per post or 3 per butch?

I usually does not score more then one-2 but after I score most valuable to me ( or first seen I like :)) I usually review the batch more slowly and may find something I missed or hesitate
( like it happened to you last week, when you did not noticed boasted knife and score it 20 minute later)

2) second question is more important:
let say I really like both bushcraft Jr,
brown slightly better then black but both satisfactory for me
if I put: I want bushcrafter Jr black but if already scored then I'll take brown.
Will it be 1 entry or 2?

I anyway want one knife from 2 and passing the next one to next person?

Good suggestions Taja. Copying and pasting the full description would also help level things out but everyone ignores that request.

Good suggestions Taja. Copying and pasting the full description would also help level things out but everyone ignores that request.

An issue with making the copy-paste a requirement is that many of us use tapatalk to access the forum and it takes forever to isolate the description of the knife in a post as long as the ff thread. This would put the tapatalk users at a major disadvantage relative to the computer users.

An issue with making the copy-paste a requirement is that many of us use tapatalk to access the forum and it takes forever to isolate the description of the knife in a post as long as the ff thread. This would put the tapatalk users at a major disadvantage relative to the computer users.

I can see how that's a problem for some.

Last edited:
I just watched my second fiddleback friday shark-out. Intense. I hope I can succeed when I see the knife I want posted up there :) This is literally as fast as Phish tickets sell out for New Year's Eve at Madison Square Garden. That says it all. Impressive!

Any fiddleback Bushcrafter Jr. In bog oak available and not selected. A few of the guy's buy up knives quickly and have been difficult t o shark for me. Thanks

Personally speaking, here are my thoughts ..

The preview is up for quite a while and all you really need to minimally recreate is the front portion where the knife you want is completely clear. e.g. Last Friday there were 3 Bush Hermits so it should be ok if you go over to create a new text message and type out 2016 0909 14 – Bush Hermit w/ brown canvas and then Select All and Copy that text. You should have at least an hour to do this. I think this is your main concern though.

Some folks have been very successful, including myself, with a phone and Tapatalk. Once the thread is open, you don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom reply box like you do on a PC. In Tapatalk, the Reply field is at the bottom of your screen so it should just be a Paste and Reply once the thread is open.

Hope that helps

So here are some of my tips that I've shared with folks via PM who are technically challenged in either equipment or PC experience.

If you use a PC and Chrome, you'll notice that placing your mouse over the Post Quick Reply button shows a flyover hot key of Alt-s. Someone told me that Alt-s doesn't work in Firefox so it may be browser dependent.

If you use a PC and Chrome, you can go into Chrome settings and disable loading of images.

You can go into BladeForum General Settings and disable loading of Signatures, Avatars and Images.

During Preview Time - Pick and Choose:
Review Fotki pics and the Preview Thread to figure out what you want.
Copy and paste the text for the knife/knives you want from the Preview Thread into Notepad. Edit to your liking. Make sure you select all of it and copy.

Prep Prior to Unlock Time: (assuming use of Chrome)
Disable Chrome Image loading.
Disable BladeForum Image/Avatar/Signature loading.
Copy your Post Text to the clipboard and test pasting it back into Notepad. Nothing is worse than posting some other text like a random URL/website address that you copied while waiting.
Close other apps on your PC and other tabs in your browser to ensure you have as much PC memory available as possible.

Unlock Time: (assuming use of Chrome)
Skip using your mouse to navigate around the screen and use only keyboard keys.
Just before 3:00 Eastern arrives, repeatedly hit F5 to refresh the page and watch for the change from Locked Thread to Reply to Thread.
At time of Unlock
--> Hit the Tab key which should place the cursor in the Quick Reply box
-----> IF YOU FUMBLE the keys, recover by hitting the End key on your keyboard to get to the bottom of the post and then use the mouse to click in that field.
--> Hit Ctrl-v to Paste your text
--> Hit Alt-s to impart the Post Quick Reply
--> Hold your breath while the page takes forrrrevver to refresh and to see where things panned out

Note: BladeForums only allows a post every 60 seconds so do not post anything prior to the sale thread or you'll be stuck there waiting. Highly frustrating.

Final Note: In between the Friday sales and on a daily basis you can practice these keystrokes any time you do a post reply. Don't practice these 4 times a month, once a Friday sale. :-|

Last edited:
Back