Leather Finishes, Preservatives, and Treatments: Post Yours Here.

I guess I should clarify veg tanned "supple", not chrome tanned floppy stuff. My version of the difference is between crappy and good double shoulders.

Oh I've seen good stuff, and stuff that was a pain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end. :)

Last edited:
really good stuff here once again. it has been mentioned in other threads, but it bears repeating how great it is that everbody is chiming in.
now obviously my "experience" comes from 10-15 sheaths only and some random other stuff, but here we go:
i would personally go with softer to the touch, but like anthony i don't really get that touch after dyeing and wet molding. then again, after reading horsewright's comment i agree. in hindsight it might have actually done me a service that the sheath came out stiffer than expected. better retention and as i like to carry a small fixed blade in my pocket it most certainly helps to prevent stabbing myself.

i also think that there is some kind tension/whatever involved in the stiffness of the material. a wetmolded sheath seems stiffer to me than a bracelet that has been wetted (both of the same weight of course). maybe because the bracelet can move around and the sheath is sewn together at various points, i don't know.

Totally off subject , but I just wanted to say .

I assume English is a second language for you , I take my hat off to you and say " Respect "
Apart from a few words of French I learned at High-school I'm absolutely dumb when it comes to foreign languages .
Where did you learn to write, and I assume speak English so well .

Now back on subject .

I personally try for a stiff as is practical finish to my work , but I'm beginning to wonder if softer is a new avenue to explore , and that line of thought already has a few ideas floating around in my head .

Ken

Totally off subject , but I just wanted to say .

I assume English is a second language for you , I take my hat off to you and say " Respect "
Apart from a few words of French I learned at High-school I'm absolutely dumb when it comes to foreign languages .
Where did you learn to write, and I assume speak English so well .
um, thank you, kinda have me blushing now... i spent a year on a high school exchange in southern michigan, so i had time to learn the language... i guess you pretty much get a language when you start dreaming in said language ;)

Aye, and there goes Anthony quoting JT again. Agreed on the language deal. Good job.

oh, and to add something "on topic", anthony, the sheath for the small red handled knife is just neatsfoot with a layer of bag kote if i remember correctly.

Stages of neatsfoot and Bagkote:

kgZVpfk.jpg

One week old, retired judge but very active horseman.

uvzpGuV.jpg

Couple of months old, worn continuously, power company employee, active horseman and cowboy.

czd8EAr.jpg

One year old. Worn enough that the sun sucked the pink right out of that bone handle. Active cowgirl.

uwYtWxV.jpg

Three years of full time ranching. Worn continuously, see how the belt loop is frayed around the sheath edge. Storebought belt. Gonna have to give him heck about that.

All pics from Father's Day blastoramma/shootathon at the ranch.

Last edited:
Horsewright, first photo, retired judge, are those revolver speed loaders on his left side (the black ones) and also on his right, brown ones? Must have had an interesting career if he feels the need to have five speed loaders! John

Yep he was rockin' a Smith 686 6", .357. He's also a very avid collector and a champion mounted shooter. Here's my daughter shooting his 686.

lPisgTg.jpg

Back