Leatherman 200 Or 300

Razor

Gold Member
I found a LM200 NIB on the bay for $49. I bought it. Should I have payed more for the 300?

I like the 200 a lot and prefer the pliers on the 200 to those on the 300.

To me the only advantage of the 300 is replaceable wire cutters so it depends on how important that would be to you.

$49 for a NIB 200 seems like an OK price. Use the heck out of it and enjoy it.

I did hard use with a 200 and 300 and the 300 is a far better MT. Find one on sale, I have found them on sale for as cheap as $53.00 bucks.

I did hard use with a 200 and 300 and the 300 is a far better MT. Find one on sale, I have found them on sale for as cheap as $53.00 bucks.

Why do you find the 300 to be a far better MT? What was your hard use?

Not disputing your opinion, just curious.

Why do you find the 300 to be a far better MT? What was your hard use?

Not disputing your opinion, just curious.
The retention or retaining pin in the 300 is more robust, I had a retention pin in a 200 break and all the tools fell out in Afghanistan while on Deployment with the Army. The stronger pin in the 300 is a major improvement over the 200. The wire cutters for real world use is far better on the 300 than the 200 and you can take them off for repair or replacement, if you damage the 200 it stays that way unless you put a small grinder to it then well all you are doing is damaging the tool more. Plier head on the 300 is proven to be stronger than the 200. The 300's tools are easier to open and close. The hard use was years of Active Army use with both tools and now years of use around my home and on my Civilian Job. To me the 300 is a better improvement of the Super Tool, which has gotten better with each update. There is a reason it is called the 300, the last and best improvements of the Super Tool. I have owned and used all three versions of the Super Tool, and the 300 is the best.

The retention or retaining pin in the 300 is more robust, I had a retention pin in a 200 break and all the tools fell out in Afghanistan while on Deployment with the Army. The stronger pin in the 300 is a major improvement over the 200. The wire cutters for real world use is far better on the 300 than the 200 and you can take them off for repair or replacement, if you damage the 200 it stays that way unless you put a small grinder to it then well all you are doing is damaging the tool more. Plier head on the 300 is proven to be stronger than the 200. The 300's tools are easier to open and close. The hard use was years of Active Army use with both tools and now years of use around my home and on my Civilian Job. To me the 300 is a better improvement of the Super Tool, which has gotten better with each update. There is a reason it is called the 300, the last and best improvements of the Super Tool. I have owned and used all three versions of the Super Tool, and the 300 is the best.

Useful info. Thanks. I knew the replaceable wire cutters were a big plus but I didn't know about the other things.

Have you found them on sale for $53 recently? I just did a Google search and am not finding anything close to that price.

Useful info. Thanks. I knew the replaceable wire cutters were a big plus but I didn't know about the other things.

Have you found them on sale for $53 recently? I just did a Google search and am not finding anything close to that price.
Well that may be a problem, I found them at a PX on an Army Base on sale for that price because I have access to a PX and it was for a holiday. So it is not a sale that is going on right now and you may not have access to a Military Installation.

May try and get the 300 on down the road. Thanks for the good advice.

I have all three iterations and agree that the 300 is the most robust but it is also bulkier. For this reason, I find myself carrying the original SuperTool the most - especially in the warmer months if I'm just wearing an untucked tee-shirt.

Back