Leatherman straight edged blades

Gab-e

Gold Member
Hi all, recently I've bought my first Leatherman product, a Surge. After unpacking, I deployed all the tools and noticed that the main blade (straight edge) seems to have been ground into a slight recurved shape. I tried looking for some information whether this is designed this way or not. Has any or you ever noticed that on your Leathermans?

HJrXB7H.jpg

NrE6PA2.jpg

Thanks, Gab

Last edited:
Hello Gab-e after reading your post I had to go look. Both my Signal and my Rev don't seem to have any recurve to them but my small Style cs looks to have an ever so slight recurve to it. That could just be my eyes playing tricks on me though!
88dd2e46f7f8dc51500669d827ed2e87.jpg
88dd2e46f7f8dc51500669d827ed2e87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wave and micra do not have a recurve.

@Artifakt - when was your style cs made? I had one 2 years ago with a blade that's looked different. My CS had 2 decorative holes near the spine, and the nail nick was closer to the pivot.

Just googled and found some images and the Surge model looks like its supposed to have a recurve

My wave and micra do not have a recurve.

@Artifakt - when was your style cs made? I had one 2 years ago with a blade that's looked different. My CS had 2 decorative holes near the spine, and the nail nick was closer to the pivot.

Mora2013 I'll have to look for the cs's born on date is. Though I bought it about a year ago I believe it was at Dicks Sporting Goods. I'll let you know.

Big stores often have stock that sits for quite some time, stock guys don't always bother with first in-first out.
I wouldn't worry too much, its shocking how a very small variance in one respect of the blade (thickness, straightness) can drastically effect the edge. At the end of a day, its a tool.

Big stores often have stock that sits for quite some time, stock guys don't always bother with first in-first out.
I wouldn't worry too much, its shocking how a very small variance in one respect of the blade (thickness, straightness) can drastically effect the edge. At the end of a day, its a tool.

Agreed! And at the end of the day if a tool isn't used it's just finely shaped steel. With potential!
My personal foray into my love for multi tools, Leatherman specifically started when I found an old PST at a small auction pick up/ thrift shop. Saw it on a shelf and made an offer. I took a shot and offered $5 and he took it! It's not pretty but a good tool doesn't need to be. From its markings and a bit of research my best self educated guess puts it being made in the mid 1980's. I'll add a pic or 2 below. This is the purchase that led to me being a total knife knut! Thank you Leatherman!
2608572e033a7578f03ea7f14563d3ce.jpg
ee9d076be12c153b10a12938e2767151.jpg

Mora2013 I'll have to look for the cs's born on date is. Though I bought it about a year ago I believe it was at Dicks Sporting Goods. I'll let you know.

Sorry for the thread hijack - This is not my YouTube video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZHTrllZp1U

But it shows the type of blade that my style cs had. I hated it because the nail nick was so close to the pivot, it was impossible to open the blade. I traded it for a micra. So it seems that leatherman has possibly updated the blade.

Sorry for the thread hijack - This is not my YouTube video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZHTrllZp1U

But it shows the type of blade that my style cs had. I hated it because the nail nick was so close to the pivot, it was impossible to open the blade. I traded it for a micra. So it seems that leatherman has possibly updated the blade.

No problem hijack away. That's a pretty good review. And your right they definitely upgraded the blade. I can see how that blade would be annoying to use. Thank you for sharing. Its a great little tool. I mostly use it for cleaning my nails, you know MANicuring! I do need to order new tweezers as mine broke fairly easily.

My Surge 1 also has a bit of a recurve to it, but I've never found it to be a problem. I've also seen some of the Charge tools having a slight recurve in the blade. If it's not too your liking, Leatherman would happily replace the blade with one that might have less recurve. It's possible the blade went through the sharpening process twice. Honestly, after you use it and sharpen it a few times, that recurve will look less recurve-ish.

And there was no need for the nail nick to have been that close. Where the nail nick should have been is a pointless decorative three drilled little holes. The blade had bee designed for something else, then switched into the Style CS instead. Why they continued after the first production run is beyond me. I rejected the CS for that very reason and wrote Letterman an email explaining why.

My wave is slightly recurved as well. You don't see it as much as you feel it, thereis a little "bump" right before the belly of the blade. I actually prefer my blade like that.

Back