Leatherman Super Tool 300 vs SOG Powerlock

Leatherman Super Tool 300 vs. SOG Powerlock w/ V-Cutter

Last month I bought a Powerlock off of a friend, but a few days ago I was browsing when my interest was piqued by the Super Tool.
I'll post some more hard use details later, but for now, here are my thoughts and first impressions of these two multi-tools.

iefhMW.JPG

Right off the bat, they are a very similar size and weight. The Leatherman is 4.5 in closed, the SOG is 4.6 in closed, and they both weigh 9.6 oz. Both feel very solid and well constructed.

ief94C.JPG

Open shot of the Leatherman Super Tool 300.
Four main tools are a straight blade, serrated blade, saw, and file.
Smaller tools are an array of flat blade screwdrivers, a Phillips screwdriver, awl, and can/bottle opener.

iebkIg.JPG

Open shot of the SOG Powerlock.
Four main tools are a half serrated blade, v-cutter, saw, and file.
Smaller tools include a similar array of flat blade screwdrivers, Phillips screwdriver, awl, can/bottle opener, and quarter inch socket drive.

ieeZq0.JPG

One thing that struck me about the SOG - I was immediately not a fan of the handle covers.
They have a very flimsy feel to them, and add an extra step when trying to get at one of the inside tools. They do pop right off if you don't like them, though.

ieaJa0.JPG

The SOG and Leatherman have similarly shaped pliers, but here is the first advantage for the Super Tool - removable/replaceable wire cutters.
You can sharpen them yourself, or put in a new pair yourself if they ever become damaged beyond repair.

ieaA3U.JPG

ieaCCc.JPG

However, the Powerlock does have a major advantage here - SOG's patented compound leverage system.
This actually adds a ton of useability and functionality to the tool. You can more easily apply a ton of force when using the pliers or wire cutters. In addition, the Powerlock opens and closes more smoothly than any other multi-tool I have ever seen.

ieaLi8.JPG

Yet all that added functionality comes with a tradeoff. It makes it so that you can only use the SOG in two positions - open, or closed.
Unfortunately, the gears make it impossible to manipulate the handles to get better leverage or reach when using the other tools like the Leatherman can.

ieaEKk.JPG

Next up, the tools.

Leatherman Super Tool 300
One thing to note about the Leatherman - no scissors! Now, for some, this might be a complete dealbreaker, but it doesn't concern me too much. I've always got a pair of decent scissors on my keychain (Style CS), so for me at least, that is not a feature that I absolutely need in a multi-tool.

iefby8.JPG

iefMrw.JPG

SOG Powerlock
You might note in these pictures that the SOG has a v-cutter. Very nice to have, but I don't do much cutting of cords or webbing, so for me this was not a big value add. As I mentioned earlier, the lack of scissors on the SOG doesn't matter to me either.

iefjVe.JPG

iebi9Y.JPG

One thing I feel that must be mentioned about the Leatherman is its great design of what they call "Edge-safety clumping."
What that means is that if you want to use one of the four main tools on the Super Tool, they are designed so that when you pull out, for instance, the knife, you get only the knife. The rest of the tools won't come out along with it. Similarly, if you try to pull out the middle tools, they all come out without pulling up either of the nearby larger tools. This is great because you don't have to use a fingernail to carefully select which one you want. Just pull out the entire middle section, and put the rest back that you don't want. It was tough to take a photo to illustrate this - below you can see where I tried to pull out one of the center tools. On the Leatherman, only the center tools came out. On the SOG, basically all of the tools came out all at once in one large clump.

iebtoC.JPG

The final point I would like to mention is a doozy. Flat out, every single one of the Leatherman's tools feels larger, thicker, and more well made than the ones on the SOG. And I mean everything - all of the blades, the file, the awl, each of the screwdrivers. Just look at the following pictures - I can't for the life of me figure out why SOG restricted all of their tools to three inches or less.

iefIbi.JPG

iefFTa.JPG

In conclusion, I think you could tell from my review that I much prefer the Leatherman Super Tool 300.

I just prefer the overall construction and feel, and when looking at the differences between each individual tool, the Leatherman just seals the deal for me.

However, I'm not going to throw the SOG in the garbage or anything. Basically these two were competing to see which one would ride along with me in my truck. The Super Tool came out on top, but the Powerlock definitely has a place in my toolbox at home.

Thanks for reading, gentlemen! Let me know what you think, and please feel free to share any other impressions you have had about either of these fine tools. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I think I prefer the Leatherman Wave over both of those. It has an interchangeable Screwdriver bit (Flat and Phillips), Eyeglass Screwdriver, Scissors and most importantly, the Knife, serated Knife, File and Saw all open on the outside so you don't have to open the entire knife to use it (good for one handed knife use)

Leatherman-Wave.jpg

I think I prefer the Leatherman Wave over both of those. It has an interchangeable Screwdriver bit (Flat and Phillips), Eyeglass Screwdriver, Scissors and most importantly, the Knife, serated Knife, File and Saw all open on the outside so you don't have to open the entire knife to use it (good for one handed knife use)

I like the Wave's outside accessible tools, but the Super Tool is a bit cheaper and has longer, more effective tools than the Wave. In addition, I really am not that huge of a fan of the Wave's interchangeable bits. The tiny eyeglass screwdriver has very limited applications, and the bit driver is very short and stubby. I prefer the longer screwdrivers and "no-extra-pieces" feeling of the Super Tool.

So they would clear the handle covers.
What a bummer reason, IMHO. I don't feel that a multi-tool needs handle covers, just slightly rounded edges on the body. I would definitely prefer that SOG offer more substantial tools in place of handle covers.

I like my st 300 but I would really like to see the bit holder on it for us backasswards canadians that can't live day to day life without a #2 robertson driver. Also scissors would be nice. For these reasons I stay with my wave.

I like the Wave's outside accessible tools, but the Super Tool is a bit cheaper and has longer, more effective tools than the Wave. In addition, I really am not that huge of a fan of the Wave's interchangeable bits. The tiny eyeglass screwdriver has very limited applications, and the bit driver is very short and stubby. I prefer the longer screwdrivers and "no-extra-pieces" feeling of the Super Tool.

I agree the bits could be a tad bit longer, but for almost all cases (I am a mechanic by trade) the length of the bit has never been a problem. I have worn out the bits and needed to replace them. As for the screwdriver bit, If you wear eyeglasses, then it is a savior. I will agree that having extra parts can be a bummer, but it is handy on a well used tool. I have had mine for 7 years and use it every day. Its like having a third hand.

I agree the bits could be a tad bit longer, but for almost all cases (I am a mechanic by trade) the length of the bit has never been a problem. I have worn out the bits and needed to replace them. As for the screwdriver bit, If you wear eyeglasses, then it is a savior. I will agree that having extra parts can be a bummer, but it is handy on a well used tool. I have had mine for 7 years and use it every day. Its like having a third hand.

Definitely agree that the Wave is a fantastic tool. I know a few guys who wouldn't trade theirs for anything. And like all things knives and multitool related, YMMV is the name of the game. Each one suits each man differently. And like I said earlier, just got the Super Tool, so I really haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet. Could be that I end up buying a Wave by the end of the year :D

I currently carry the Skeletool but I also occasionally use the SOG and I really like it. The compound leverage really does help when cutting wire.

Nice comparison! I'm a fan of both the PowerLock and Super Tool 300 - they're both excellent.

The drivers on the Super Tool 300 are bigger than those on many multi-tools. One of the major selling points of the Super Tool 300 is the size.

bigger-blade.jpg

The blades and drivers on the PowerLock are similar in size to those on Swiss army knives (see photos below). On a full size multi-tool like the PowerLock, it would be nice to have bigger blades and tools but the drivers and blades are functional… I doubt anyone will discount the usefulness of Swiss army knife blades and tools because of their size. For a larger blade, the PowerAssist is a good alternative to the Powerlock. I think the pliers/wire cutter and exchangeable tools are selling points for the PowerLock.

The Super Tool 300 is an excellent no nonsense tool. The replaceable wire cutter, large tools, hollow ground drivers are excellent… love the jumbo awl too. I also like the way they addressed ease of access to the tools.

Scan411.jpg

Scan410.jpg

Scan405.jpg

Scan406.jpg

Scan407.jpg

I carried the SOG for all of about one day on the job and found that you can't open the pliers wide enough for practical daily maintenance..... The leverage is no trade off in my opinion. If I need that much leverage I need to go to my toolbox...I'v got Gerbers, Leathermans and both brands open wider than the SOG.

I carried the SOG for all of about one day on the job and found that you can't open the pliers wide enough for practical daily maintenance..... The leverage is no trade off in my opinion. If I need that much leverage I need to go to my toolbox...I'v got Gerbers, Leathermans and both brands open wider than the SOG.

What are the maintenance tasks that require wider pliers?

You never know. Within days of owning a Swisstool, I needed to apply some persuasion to a stuck cap on a fuel filler tube and found the plier jaws didn't open wide enough. A Super Tool that was handy did the job.

In my daily life, that sort of thing happens rarely, but for me, the whole point of carrying a multitool is to be prepared for whatever when the tool box is somewhere else.

Nice comparison! I'm a fan of both the PowerLock and Super Tool 300 - they're both excellent.
Thank you! Definitely agree. I really liked the Powerlock too - I'm glad to have both.
The blades and drivers on the PowerLock are similar in size to those on Swiss army knives. On a full size multi-tool like the PowerLock, it would be nice to have bigger blades and tools
Exactly, I agree 100%. People often talk about how great the Powerlock is, but I really think that a 4.6 inch multitool really needs larger & more heavy duty tools.
In my daily life, that sort of thing happens rarely, but for me, the whole point of carrying a multitool is to be prepared for whatever when the tool box is somewhere else.
+1

You never know...

My question wasn't worded well but I meant: What tasks did you find required wider pliers? It seems there were many occasions that he was disappointed with the pliers and I was hoping for a few examples. If he gave examples then I would know. ;-) The question is open to anyone though. You give the example of a stuck cap that Super Tool handled but a SwissTool couldn't - that's a start. Thanks!

...In my daily life, that sort of thing happens rarely, but for me, the whole point of carrying a multitool is to be prepared for whatever when the tool box is somewhere else.

I have an old Crescent tools advertisement that says "A wrench in the hand is worth 10 in the kit". I'd say a "multi-tool in your hand is worth 10 tools in the kit" ;-) Tools aren't much good if you don't have them with you. Part of picking what multi-tool meets your needs is predicting which tasks you are most likely to encounter. That varies for each person. But it's good to hear examples of peoples experiences.

I hesitantly admit that I wasn't able to accomplish a task with the multi-tools that I had on me today... I needed to go to a toolbox. :eek:

A friend asked me to help her replace the hard drive and memory in her personal computer and I don't normally do this sort of thing. I had a Victorinox Spirit X in my pocket, a Victorinox Classic SD on my keychain, and a Victorinox SwissChamp XAVT on my desk. The 0 Phillips on the XAVT didn't fit the screws on the laptop so I had to go to the tool box.

Thank you! Definitely agree. I really liked the Powerlock too - I'm glad to have both.
Exactly, I agree 100%. People often talk about how great the Powerlock is, but I really think that a 4.6 inch multitool really needs larger & more heavy duty tools.
+1

I'm OK with the Swiss army knife size tools but longer reach is always good.

Last edited:
Nice review. I've got so many multi-tools - now you have me looking at the Supertool.

My usual edc for multi tool is a toss between the Vic Swiss Spirit and LM Charge AL. They split time.

Have you tried the 1/4" drive on the SOG? I think it could be a nice feature but I have SOG's socket adapter (will also be available as part of a bit kit) and a few hardware brand adapters and they all fit rather loosely. :(

You only have a few hours left to buy one, but for those interested in the SOG it's available today for $32.99 over at http://sellout.woot.com/

Despite the conclusion in my review where I clearly prefer the Super Tool 300, for that price I think the SOG is a must-buy.

That is why I think the older Wave that predates 2004 with the Super Tool styled longer phillips head screwdriver was a much handier design. I can actually get it into places I need to put the screwdriver. Came in very handy with my original Super Tool when putting up a screen door today.

I do however prefer the tightening mechanism of the torx screws over those things they use on the Supertools. They are a bit of a nightmare to tighten up.

Back