Leatherman Wingman: not recommended

I have a wingman myself. It did fine up till recently. The knife was sharp but dulls incredibly fast and the plier action is now crooked. Im sending it in to have it looked at....

My Wingman is my "in the car cuz you never know when you might need scissors or a screwdriver and you're not home" tool. I do bring it inside for kids B'days etc. for opening gifts that are blister packed. The package opener tool is great. Never had any "hard use" in mind for it. Worth the price IMO.

My Wingman is my "in the car cuz you never know when you might need scissors or a screwdriver and you're not home" tool. I do bring it inside for kids B'days etc. for opening gifts that are blister packed. The package opener tool is great. Never had any "hard use" in mind for it. Worth the price IMO.

I worked at a feed store prior my ems job I have now. Some work it did was opening up boxes and feed bags. It did great, until I really had to abuse it. For what you describe it is an awesome little tool.

My problems with the Leatherman tools have been screwdriver breaking tightening glasses screw, this screw breaking on the wingman, a wire cutter blade dented cutting a clothes hanger to pop the lock on my truck (one at random from our closet), the pliers developing lateral movement so that you could slide paper between the cutter jaws when closed, and the clip of the skeletool breaking when caught on my seatbelt. I've returned the ones except the Skeletool and Wingman, because they are more recent and I haven't gotten around to it. I bought my first Leatherman in 1995/6, so it isn't like I dislike the company, there have just been some issues. As well, one of the times I sent in a return, my requests were ignored, and I was sent an unacceptable (to me) replacement. I contacted Leathetman and they went above and beyond to make it right, so they are still in my good books. Mistakes happen, production objects (especially tools) occasionally have lemons, and tools used may eventually fail. It is what happens in life.

As far as believing me or not, that is up to the individual, but I don't think my posting history on BF would show that I abuse my tools or that I am that prone to hyperbole. It happened (how one can abuse tightening glasses is beyond me), and I'm reporting it. Believe it or not.

My problems with the Leatherman tools have been screwdriver breaking tightening glasses screw...

Wow, thats pretty amazing. Not like you can apply much torque doing that task.

As far as believing me or not, that is up to the individual, but I don't think my posting history on BF would show that I abuse my tools or that I am that prone to hyperbole. It happened (how one can abuse tightening glasses is beyond me), and I'm reporting it. Believe it or not.

Some folks don't really think about the wording of a message as much as they should before they hit post.
Then there is that pesky problem about things "sounding" much harsher in cold print as opposed to being said in person.

When you mentioned you had gone thru three supertools, I did sort of wonder if you needed to use more appropriate tools for the task at hand, but from the stuff you listed it appears that is not the issue.
Sounds like you've just had a really bad run of luck with LM....it happens sometimes with almost every brand.

Speaks well for Leatherman that even with all those problems you still feel positive about the products and the company.

I recently purchased a combo pack of Wingman and Micro for $25 on sale at Home Depot and at first thought the scissors were useless, until I tried 'em---worked fine. I have just a few multitools to keep in car, camera bag, get home bag, etc. The wife wanted the micro to replace the one taken at the airport. I really don't feel bad about the Wingman, especially at the price---I believe it will do the job if needed. Yeah, there are more expensive tools (I have some), but I don't feel cheated at this price point.

I saw that deal and almost got it.But i have too many sitting around unused already.

I just got a Wingman but can't base a solid opinion yet (haven't used it enough). So far I really like it. I like the finish on the body and tools. I like the feel and weight. Smooth opening and closing. Scissors work great. The plier heads do seem to be of lesser quality then on higher priced Leathermans. Wire cutters work ok but not as well as my Wave or Surge. Overall I like it and will find good use for it.
Scott

I bought the Wingman / Style CS combo pack at Home Depot For $29.99. Then a few days later I bought the Sidekick at Home Depot for $19.99.

I'm happy with both. I've carried either the Wingman (mostly) and the Sidekick (a little) on a near daily basis for about a month now and have used nearly every main tool, some more than others. I find no fault with the scissors, and have used them for a lot of Christmas wrapping, among other things. The ergonomics of the pliers during hard pressure aren't my favorite. But this is not a deal breaker. Another niggle is the cutouts on the handle end opposite the holes in the blade for deployment. If you go by feel alone, you can grab the tool and attempt to open the blade down there .... to no avail.

Overall, I find the Wingman to be an especially good bargain, and a pretty nice looking tool regardless of price.

I'm recognizing that I'm pretty much the only person who has had a prob with the scissors collapsing. I'd like to give another one a try, and see how it goes.

Having just purchased a Wingman, I can say that your review is not even close to the truth!

The scissors work just fine. They have to be snapped fully open to work right though. Took 2 seconds to realize that.

As far as the thumb pad being "tiny" and "uncomfortable"..... Seriously? If I need extended cutting with comfort I will use real scissors! This is a multitool for emergency type situations where you need a quick fix. It is not the right tool for any job, just the convenient one.

As far as wire cutters not overlapping..... I don't know of too many purpose built wire cutters that do! I have used the cutters on the Wingman and they work just fine!

You basically tell people not to buy this because of your own issues with the scissors, and because it is not a $100 high end model!!! WTF?

Sorry but this has to be one of the most ridiculous reviews I have ever read.

I was eying this up for my son...I'll give him a PST2 instead.
Amazing how the older LMs can be found at great prices.
Thanx!!!

Having just purchased a Wingman, I can say that your review is not even close to the truth!

My review is 100% perfect in every way. Heavenly, perfect, wonderful and magnificent. Almost everyone who reads it hears angels singing. You have angels in Canada, don't you?

The scissors work just fine.

Yours do. Mine didn't. But I didn't review your Wingman, did I? Send me your Wingman and I'll be happy to review it. Right after I stick it down the back of my pants. Then I'll hear angels singing.

This is a multitool for emergency type situations

That explains why I hear sirens every time I use it. Thanks! :thumbup:

As far as wire cutters not overlapping..... I don't know of too many purpose built wire cutters that do!

Virtually all MTs have real cutters that overlap like scissors. This is not indictment of the Wingman. Its just a benign fact. The Wingman's don't. Thats just a fact too. No biggie.

You basically tell people not to buy this because of your own issues with the scissors

Have you been watching Nutnfancy? Seems like you have this review stuff figured out pretty good.

Sorry but this has to be one of the most ridiculous reviews I have ever read.

Finally we agree on something. Right on!

My review is 100% perfect in every way. Heavenly, perfect, wonderful and magnificent. Almost everyone who reads it hears angels singing...

This reply made my morning (w/c I work 3rd shift)!

I purchased the combo from Home Depot. But from reading the majority, it looks like I'll be returning it.

I already have a TTi but just wanted to try out the entry level models.

Though, I may get the bling, bling modified versions as gifts from this site:

http://www.texastoolcrafters.com/

My review is 100% perfect in every way. Heavenly, perfect, wonderful and magnificent. Almost everyone who reads it hears angels singing. You have angels in Canada, don't you? (and etcetera)

Oh, too funny! Best today! Thanx, and then some! :glee:

I am curious if the new entry level models are 100 percent American with American steels or just assembled in America. Big difference in my opinion. I own a super tool a couple waves, couple original Leathermans(my favorite) and one of the new lower end models for work in the work truck. The newer lower end models are nowhere near the quality.

Powernoodle,

While my overall conclusion on the Wingman is that it's a fun and usable American made tool at a more than fair price, I totally respect the absolute perfection of your review and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. FWIW, I do get your point on the scissors handle. It's not the most comfy handle in the world. I happen to find it functional and have learned to reverse it and use my index finger on it, which is more comfortable.

It's not a dream model Leatherman, yet there's something about it that's really appealing to me. I can find faults with the file/ruler and some comfort issues. Yet even these are all pretty minor. I think part of the appeal is that the tool is cheap enough that I won't be afraid to use it hard and see how it holds up. I've had mine since Thanksgiving week (2012) and it's been a near daily carry, in spite of owning about a half dozen other MT models. So far, so good.

Moe

So I bought a Spyderco Tenacious today.

It wasn't as good as my PM2 so I think it sucks, and returned it! :rolleyes:

Yep, that about sums it up........

Yours do. Mine didn't. But I didn't review your Wingman, did I? Send me your Wingman and I'll be happy to review it. Right after I stick it down the back of my pants. Then I'll hear angels singing.

You just made me spew Bud Light. :D

Back