Leaving the Knife Exchange

BD_01

Basic Member
So, I discovered the knife exchange a few months ago, looking for "that one knife" I just HAD to have but couldn't bring myself to buy at retail.
"I mean, no knife is worth $250, right?"
"Maybe I'll try the secondary market once, you know, to see how it goes..."
1fe8a1e2a1816442c7da142e3e22e095.jpg

Well, I LOVE that Spyderco Southard that I got a great deal on, new in box! It's still my most carried EDC.

But then there was the Umnumzaan, "I guess I should see what all the CRK fuss is about". Wouldn't you know it, the thing got here looking way better than expected, practically good as new!
07e9f0e9b55c8eb5d957cd4402a5e9b3.jpg

Oh, and the 0900, well, eventually I was going to get around to buying one of those at retail anyway. I guess I might as well save myself a few bucks...

Then there's another Southard. "I love that knife beyond description and absolutely HAVE to have a backup, you know, for that eventual day that..."
e0540bcae7fda737d3bcea9e4eb96e9b.jpg

And then a couple with gift intent. ("Wouldn't a classy knife make a great gift to XXX for some special occasion?")
a42fa4b81a8f5db84eac36ecbabb278d.jpg

And then..."Oh my, this is getting dangerous. Tell you what, self, we're only looking for a rock bottom steal that would be an advance purchase for NEXT Christmas."

Well, that plan failed, once. Or twice, or...whatever.
dcb9f4f7e74b66f6f4970184f5677b37.jpg

So, it seems I have a bit of a problem. An addiction, perhaps? As my tastes have grown more sophisticated, I just can't sustain two blade purchases a month any more.

After today's purchase (which, I might add, just barely met the threshold of my remaining discretionary funds--no, wait. Actually it was a bit over that...whatever. I can pack a lunch from home for the next week...or maybe two) I'm shutting it off cold-turkey.

I just deleted all my Knife Exchange thread subscriptions, and I'm shutting off notifications to everything but PM's. For a while. 6 months at least. Well, at least until May, I guess.....

Anyone else have to force themselves to step away from the Exchange?

Last edited:
I tried, but then I started to realize that I wanted to see what different alloys had to offer...

I have an old paypal account that is not tied to a bank account. It has $3 in it. The few times I've bought from the exchange recently (3 times in last 15 months IIRC) I used a usps money order. That has saved me a lot of money.

You will be back my fiend err I mean friend. J/k of course and I do understand. Made a few purchases this month myself.

I finally had to delete a "credit account" that was much too easy to use. Once I determined that I had to have cash available before my next purchase, things have stabilized to a dull roar...

But what about Shirogorov and Rockstead? :(

Why stop before you get to that sweet sweet tootsie center?

I went through this period for a long time. A change in my financial situation meant that I had to slow to almost a stop. Now that things are better I don't have the need to buy every knife I like. Instead I developed a taste in a few styles or themes and decided I would collect in that direction.

Unfortunately there are tons of knives out there, so many that if you only collected titanium knives, or carbon fibre, or fighting knives there are still virtually unlimted options. So I end up still wanting a ton of knives anyway, I guess I'm at square one.

Last edited:
The few times I've bought from the exchange recently (3 times in last 15 months IIRC) I used a usps money order.

That would definitely halt the impulse buys! I gotta have some sort of buyer assurance though.

But what about Shirogorov and Rockstead? :(
Why stop before you get to that sweet sweet tootsie center?

You are an evil person! Don't tempt me! By the time I get back, I'm hoping the bubble will burst and I'll find a Neon Lite for under $400. (Let a guy dream, ok?)

Money is just an illusion anyway.

I can't disagree, especially looking at how poorly my retirement accounts have performed over the last 5 years. Buying knives isn't going to make any money either, but at least you'll have something to show for it along the way. [emoji6]

It is easy. Just buy everything you like and you won't have to leave.

I've also been lurking BF long enough to know I can't keep up with colubrid. Lol!

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning, I just bought my first knife off the exchange Saturday looks like a slippery slope and I have been thru this before with S&W revolvers. There is no 10 step program or cure!!

In my case, no, I don't worry. There's an enforced cutoff: with terminal cancer and 6 months left to live according to all the experts my corpse will be cold before I can do too much damage on the Exchange.

I just deleted all my Knife Exchange thread subscriptions, and I'm shutting off notifications to everything but PM's. For a while. 6 months at least. Well, at least until May, I guess.....

Anyone else have to force themselves to step away from the Exchange?

Look at the upper right hand corner of this post.
See how long I've been here?
See how many posts I've got?
If I can't stop, what makes you think you can? :D

The good news is that you can also trade or sell off some of what you bought. That may not be as enjoyable as the buying but it can be satisfying and then you can get new knives.
It is an addiction but far from the worst kind. Even just browsing the exchange gives me some pleasure. I set limits on what I'll buy. Have fun!

Selling makes it worse! Because you say to yourself...

I will buy it and try it and If I dont like it, I will only lose a few bucks. Better than buying a new one"

It looks like I have to find out what these notifications and subscriptions are all about.

I just browse every sale section to find the knifes I can't live without.

Dude drops an CR in my thread, thinks he's going anywhere, LOL. I'll send you emails while you sleep.

Look at the upper right hand corner of this post.
See how long I've been here?
See how many posts I've got?
If I can't stop, what makes you think you can? :D

Hope springs eternal...

Back