Let's REVIVE this forum!

Why is it so slow? Hardly anyone posts here. Saddleback are the finest leather bags in the world, and we owners are usually adventurous, interesting people. Why don't we talk more about them?

In my mind if there was a giveaway of some sort, that would cause more discussion to erupt.:cool:

I know I appreciate the quality and warranty of Saddleback products even if I don't own any...

I picked up a medium satchel in dark coffee brown some months ago on ebay in like new condition for a good price. Used it for the first time last night when I headed down to Clarkston, WA with my dog to spend a night and walk along the river and just have some quiet, alone time. Took along one pair of shorts, small kit, Kindle, 1957 NY (Baseball) Giants program I wanted to spend some time revisiting, decent glass to go with a 750 ml bottle of Woodford Reserve (didn't drink it all), shoe horn and two measured packs of dry dog food - which all fit nicely in the bag. I actually like how stiff the bag is because although there's a minimum of "give" it does keep things where you put them...almost like packing a little box. Nobody threw a spear at me and generally there were no big adventures. Locked myself out of the room (I blame the Woodford Reserve) but that was easily remedied by a visit to the office. Bag looks cool though and IF an adventure had happened, I'm sure I'd of looked good during it.

Just got a tow belt and love it. Now I'm trying to figure out how get some extra money for a large satchel and large classic briefcase.

What I'm curious to hear about is why people have sold their Saddleback bags. I hear plenty of great things about the bags so I'm not worried about the quality but I am interested in hearing why the bag didn't work out for those people.

I picked up a medium satchel in dark coffee brown some months ago on ebay in like new condition for a good price. Used it for the first time last night when I headed down to Clarkston, WA with my dog to spend a night and walk along the river and just have some quiet, alone time. Took along one pair of shorts, small kit, Kindle, 1957 NY (Baseball) Giants program I wanted to spend some time revisiting, decent glass to go with a 750 ml bottle of Woodford Reserve (didn't drink it all), shoe horn and two measured packs of dry dog food - which all fit nicely in the bag. I actually like how stiff the bag is because although there's a minimum of "give" it does keep things where you put them...almost like packing a little box. Nobody threw a spear at me and generally there were no big adventures. Locked myself out of the room (I blame the Woodford Reserve) but that was easily remedied by a visit to the office. Bag looks cool though and IF an adventure had happened, I'm sure I'd of looked good during it.
Would you be able to post some pictures of your bag with stuff in it? I'm trying to figure out if the medium satchel would be a better edc than a large one.

Just got a tow belt and love it. Now I'm trying to figure out how get some extra money for a large satchel and large classic briefcase.

What I'm curious to hear about is why people have sold their Saddleback bags. I hear plenty of great things about the bags so I'm not worried about the quality but I am interested in hearing why the bag didn't work out for those people.

Would you be able to post some pictures of your bag with stuff in it? I'm trying to figure out if the medium satchel would be a better edc than a large one.
I have had my large classic briefcase for somewhere around 2.5 years now, and it's held up fantastically well. It continues to break in beautifully, looking better as it gains more character. It is not, however, perfect. I alluded to a dissatisfaction with wearing in another thread here. To go into a little more detail, it appears as though the portions of the bag that fold or bend develop a matte finish, while the portions that do no bend, especially the part resting against my back while in tow, have a much smoother, polished finish. I would much prefer the finish to be consistent and smooth patina - similar to a vintage ghurka leather briefcase.

My second contention with the bag is that it is too large. Inside the briefcase there are two compartments separated by a thick piece of leather with each section having the same dimensions. Fully filled, the bag is extraordinarily bulky (9 in deep if I remember correctly) and very heavy. Since that condition is not ever used, there is really no reason to have the forward section be as large as the rear. Rather, it should have been designed with a few inches less space in the forward section which would have left plenty of room for pens and pencils in their respective compartments as well as a notebook or two. The overall look would be much slimmer and more appealing.

Those complaints aside, it is a very rugged and masculine bag that, despite its slightly too large size, is, overall, still well proportioned. I've found ways to manage the size issue I've got with it and am very pleased. I can see myself using it for a long time and it building more and more character with each step.

Brilliant! Thanks for the story, sounds fun! Anyone else have a good Saddleback story?

I pre-purchased the "Small Purse" for a GF that managed to stick around a couple of years. Two months later, and the purse isn't even made yet, and she and I have parted ways. :D

I want to get a satchel soon.

I love the Saddleback products, and whenever I see someone with some shody leather, I mention Saddleback in conversation.

Last edited:
I have had my large classic briefcase for somewhere around 2.5 years now, and it's held up fantastically well. It continues to break in beautifully, looking better as it gains more character. It is not, however, perfect. I alluded to a dissatisfaction with wearing in another thread here. To go into a little more detail, it appears as though the portions of the bag that fold or bend develop a matte finish, while the portions that do no bend, especially the part resting against my back while in tow, have a much smoother, polished finish. I would much prefer the finish to be consistent and smooth patina - similar to a vintage ghurka leather briefcase.

My second contention with the bag is that it is too large. Inside the briefcase there are two compartments separated by a thick piece of leather with each section having the same dimensions. Fully filled, the bag is extraordinarily bulky (9 in deep if I remember correctly) and very heavy. Since that condition is not ever used, there is really no reason to have the forward section be as large as the rear. Rather, it should have been designed with a few inches less space in the forward section which would have left plenty of room for pens and pencils in their respective compartments as well as a notebook or two. The overall look would be much slimmer and more appealing.

Those complaints aside, it is a very rugged and masculine bag that, despite its slightly too large size, is, overall, still well proportioned. I've found ways to manage the size issue I've got with it and am very pleased. I can see myself using it for a long time and it building more and more character with each step.
Thanks for this very informative post ganagati! I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking:

Do you feel that the bag is too large in it's width and height as well?
Do you wish you had gone with the medium classic briefcase?
Do you think a different Saddleback bag would have better suit your needs?
What do you normally use your bag for?
Can you post pictures of you bag filled with things that you would normally use?
Can you post comparison pictures of the matte crease areas and the smooth areas?

These are quite a number of questions so feel free to take or time or even not answer the ones you don't feel like answering :)

I pre-purchased the "Small Purse" for a GF that managed to stick around a couple of years. Two months later, and the purse isn't even made yet, and she and I have parted ways. :D

I want to get a satchel soon.

I love the Saddleback products, and whenever I see someone with some shody leather, I mention Saddleback in conversation.
What are you going to do with it now?

Do you feel that the bag is too large in it's width and height as well?
- Just the depth of the front section. The height and width are great.
Do you wish you had gone with the medium classic briefcase?
- I actually had a medium briefcase before purchasing the large. The old 15' macbook fit just fine in the medium, but when I upgraded, I found the new one was too large to fit.
Do you think a different Saddleback bag would have better suit your needs?
- This one fits them very well. As I said, I've worked to manage the excess space in the front section. Namely, I've worked to break the bag in in such a way that the front section remains compressed.

What do you normally use your bag for?
- I work as an engineer and am taking classes in preparation for a career change, so the bag doubles as a school bag and briefcase. I typically carry study materials and books as well as a work laptop and notepads.

I thought I still had photos of the medium and large side by side, but alas, they must have been deleted after I sold it.
Here are some photos of the large -

Typical Load (sans computer)-
DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

Side with the front section compressed -
DSC_0449.jpg

Filled to the brim -
DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0452.jpg

DSC_0451.jpg

Difference in wearing -
DSC_0448.jpg

You pretty much sold me on this bag ganagati. I've been trying to tell myself that a satchel will do as an EDC if I'm not at school and I can just keep using a backpack but it seems like that classic briefcase will do everything I need. Now to decide on the colour...

How did you end up compressing the front area btw?

Last edited:
How did you end up compressing the front area btw?
Various things, but mostly it was a matter of being conscious of how the bag was resting and making sure that there was a crease along the sides. The stitching near the bottom is where the inner pocket is sewn in, and has proven to be the most rigid portion and resistive to molding. Any time I set the bag down, I make sure that the sides, especially at that point, is folding inwards. Also, for a while I was putting books in the rear portion and laying the briefcase face down over night again making sure that the crease was folding inwards. As a result, it has begun to naturally fold there and doesn't appear quite so large.

A quick google search produced this image that shows what I've been trying to break the bag free of (Click photo for larger picture) -

Yeah that 'A' shape is what I want to get rid of as well. Putting it face down with books makes a lot of sense.

Now just to save up those Benjamins (or in my case, Bobbys).

Just won a messenger bag in dark tobacco brown on ebay the other day and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Its my first bag from SB and Im already planning on a briefcase as my xmas present to myself

I just discovered Saddleback Leather a month ago and I am now just catching up to what I want to add to my collection. My first purchase was a Moleskine cover for the small pocketbook. I got it in carbon black but after I got it I wished it was in dark coffee brown. I ordered the leather bracelet in dark coffee brown and now I only wear that on my wrist other than my 14k gold bracelet. I needed a good belt so I ordered it (carbon black), along with the Pouch, large bifold wallet, credit/business card wallet (all in dark coffee brown), and a belt pouch in carbon black. The Old Bull belt is the best belt I've owned by far. For years I've been looking for a great quality belt and now I found it with Saddleback Leather. All other items are just gravy. Thanks Saddleback Leather.

Last edited:
Got some eye candy together to post on this thread. Only item I didn't have a photo of is the Classic Bull belt. Planning on acquiring a Tow belt and ID wallet both in dark coffee brown. It will be a while before I get a large backpack.

1369647009803_zps2701a1c6.jpg
CameraZOOM-20130623194140152_zps87115c17.jpg
CameraZOOM-20130627131503147_zps968f1225.jpg

Yippee! I got my new ID wallet in this afternoon. Moving my employee ID card in there with some backup cash, backup debit card, and frequently used store rewards cards. I may get a duplicate driver's license so that I can grab the small ID wallet instead of the large bifold wallet when just going walking or down the street to the store. Saddleback Leather has fast shipping, a great website, and FANTASTIC products!

Last edited:
I love saddleback products and quality. My medium bi fold wallet is tough as nails. I like the backpacks but they arent my style. If they made a more modern style or even something slightly tactical, I would be all over it. I know of no company that makes leather backpacks like this. Maybe there is good reason? Maybe cause they would have to use zippers?

Back