Let's see some new steel!!

Hey Rob,
The title says it all. You need to help satisfy our addiction. :D
All the best!
Balding

LOL, I'm working on it...:)

Last week I was swamped at work and was down help, so I had to work through the holiday weekend as well..

so this weekend I just wanted to spend a little time with the kids because I know this coming week is going to be a taste of the same.... I'm hopeful to get some shop time in between and I have a few new designs I'm working on and I'm eager to get them going..

my apologizes to anyone I was going to send pics to of knives they were interested in etc.. I've just been taking it easy over the weekend, tomorrow.. is another day.. :D

Masters of Metal, Agents of Steel...

rob

Rob
I have no doubt that the wait will be worth it! Can't wait to see some of the new designs.
All the best
Balding

resurrect this old thread to showcase what I've (finally) been up to lately..

IMG_3868_zps6b5a4a42.jpg

IMG_3869_zpsb601fdaf.jpg

heat treated 4 pieces tonight, tomorrow I will be testing them..

There you go Rob! Welcome back! Keep going Bro!
I hope it helps you and pleases you to be back at it!
Cheers! Max

There you go Rob! Welcome back! Keep going Bro!
I hope it helps you and pleases you to be back at it!
Cheers! Max

Thanks man, slow but sure but it sure feels good ..

Ahh, the sweet smell of quenched steel.

LOL, yeah I can take it up til about the 4th blade :) I used to do batches of 6 at a time but that's just too much for me to bare, besides when the wife travels though the shop without fail she mentions how nasty it is.. So with a smaller batch I don't hear any complaints.....

here's the first four of the new year... and since, (well you know)..
IMG_3854_zps7e673adb.jpg

my fancy garage find, think I paid a whole $5... nice !!!
IMG_3855_zpsef07d14b.jpg

My quenchent pot sitting on the cooker..
IMG_3858_zpsac0caede.jpg

Soak time..
IMG_3859_zpsbb606b8d.jpg

knives cooling after quench
IMG_3867_zps7382d4ca.jpg

selected my wife's late step dad's quilted maple (30yrs kiln dried) for the scales for the first knife of '13 !!!
9763fafe-0eed-4362-b718-9b302e81c941_zpsfed14b0f.jpg

Scales drilled out and precut
IMG_3883_zps5894545d.jpg

I drill some recess holes to allow the epoxy a place to hide...
IMG_3882_zps9230b66d.jpg

finished edge before gluing up scales
IMG_3881_zps60d68f35.jpg

here you see the pins/tube installed, in my excitement I grabbed the wrong pins these were a little to short normally I have them sticking out of the handles a bit more, also I didn't realize I had placed the grain on one pin wrong (until I took the pic :) )
IMG_3884_zpsb8909258.jpg

all glued up and ready to roll ..
IMG_3885_zpsbbc1198c.jpg

Wow Rob, I am glad to see you back in action! This all looks really swell and I hope you are having a good time getting back into it!

Mark

thanks guys...

yeah its a slow go but exciting nonetheless.. Hopefully I'll get some family/living loose ends ties up and I'll be able to dedicate more time for steel... So far everything I'm making is already taken so no sales threads yet until I get caught up... .

thanks man, hey Doug I have something coming your way very soon.. Matter of fact sooner then you may think.. long time coming brother..

you know you want that stove top.. :)

After not grinding for 6 months it takes a toll, I can't stand still for long periods of time without my knee killing me..(from the accident). I'm using this knife in a passaround I have going on so I'm not going to fluff it but leave it plain and simple.. Its going to be used up pretty good, I did a little whittling in the garage, battoned some 2x4 and it still had a really decent edge dulled it a little but was still able to shave and cut paper ok...

IMG_3894_zpse4d10daf.jpg

IMG_3898_zpsd671eb45.jpg

078727f4-d317-4009-b7eb-74743736f58f_zpsfbb75ad9.jpg

IMG_3901_zpsa2b86982.jpg

IMG_3900_zps606ee188.jpg

Last edited:
Good lookin piece Rob. Good to see ya making sparks again!

that came out really nice -- looking forward to the passaround!

thanks guys...

Todd, yeah its a bit of a struggle throwing those sparks at the moment but I'll press through it... need to build me a stool or something...

Erik you and me both... been a long time coming and the more I play with this design the more I like it, but I may be partial because its the first thing I've done since my delima.... its like riding a bike again except I'm a little wobbly:)

Doug, we'll catch up .. I still have your sheaths I need to fill with some steel..

Back