Lets See Some Pure Fighters

No ,there's no tang ...the wood part slides into the keyhole from side and is secured with the pin from the back

24wrseo.jpg

2usel9k.jpg

hwwh7p.jpg

Last edited:
^^This is an 8" Model 1. Not 6.5"

I found the file on the net labelled as 6.5, perhaps the 6.5 had nothing to do with its size, I don't know. I take your word for it Steven, 8" it is. :thumbup: I used that picture to profile the handle on my templates.

s5dz6s.jpg

Last edited:
I found the file on the net labelled as 6.5, perhaps the 6.5 had nothing to do with its size, I don't know. I take your word for it Steven, 8" it is. :thumbup: I used that picture to profile the handle on my templates.

I know this because it was my knife and my picture. (taken in my front room)

It never ceases to amaze me how something that one posts online goes around like a broken telephone. I suppose it is the nature of the beast.

I rarely sell anything but I ordered this one and did not care for the handle profile. I sold it on British Blades a few years ago and the pictures are still up. I much prefer this ⬇︎⬇︎ older "sub-hilt" style shaping that Randall used as opposed to the later shaping profile..........
IMG_0471.jpg

Here is the original sales pic from that 1-8
IMG_3700.jpg

Very interesting Steven, the 4 finger grip looks like the interim between the the single finger grip and the current Attack14 4-finger grip.

I understand your preference for the 4 finger grip, I can say that even the 2 finger grip handle on the Spartan Bowie that Adam Kornalski built is much more grip-able than the SFG on the Randall, especially in reverse grip. Keeping in mind that I had the Model1 made solely as a collector's piece without any intent of every using it. The cutting edge is wickedly sharp. I mean dangerously sharp, much sharper than an original Randall by 2 to 3 fold. It is a beautiful knife in its own right, and the Ipe Burl is jaw dropping when the knife's in hand. The pics do the Ipe no justice, even though it does look nice in the pics.

I have a Super Attack being made that will be ready for shipping in the next day or two. I will have the initial pics of it before it ships and will post them soon.

20j215y.jpg

Last edited:
I am still not sure what that means. I see the pin going through and into the wood. Is there a separate tang that runs through the wood? When I search Keyhole Tang Knife on google I see some do and some don't. I almost think it's cooler if there isn't a separate tang to the intergral "bolster"

I'm pretty sure I see what you mean. There can't be a separate tang going through the wood, can there? How would you ever be able to get that into the wood, when you clearly have to link the wood into the integral tang from the side?

man, the proportions and shaping of the handle on that model 1 knockoff just looks wrong to me

I'm pretty sure I see what you mean. There can't be a separate tang going through the wood, can there? How would you ever be able to get that into the wood, when you clearly have to link the wood into the integral tang from the side?

I only just saw your questions about the keyhole that I posted. There is no tang that extends into the wood. And Ron Newton told me he felt it didn't need the pin, but thought it would look good. He's a master at this design.

Anyone who might know who owns the the ebony keyhole also imaged here, let them know I would love to own both as a set. They were purchased separately by me, and the unkown other purchaser, at the Solvang Knife Show in 2012, thanks:

xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
Recently finished fighting tantos in forge-finished 80CrV2 steel and marine epoxy-hardened paracord.

These are about 7" long blades.

33326573710_5e939b7dd9_c.jpg

33581469651_f28288e7f2_c.jpg

The o-tanto is about a 14" blade, and the other is about 7 1/2".

32897065243_76ab2a95b0_c.jpg

32897082203_d460ff31ea_c.jpg

The stabbity slicety tanto is about as narrow a point as I can recall doing on a blade!

33669848606_f5085ecdfd_c.jpg

man, the proportions and shaping of the handle on that model 1 knockoff just looks wrong to me

Parallax does things with some pictures, but it is to my specs anyway. 5" long handle's not too shabby for a 4.5" wide palm. Feels excellent and holds easily.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow in daylight and post them so everyone can then see the handle on this beautifully built Greg Wall's custom knife and the proportions I prefer on this form of knife.

Hope everything is well with you Lorien.

I just checked through the pics I've already taken and found this one. The Wall's knife and an original Attack... but I will take more pics tomorrow when I get a chance with a ruler against the handle.

2woary9.jpg

And here's one that gives a good indication of the blade proportions. Effectively, this Model 1 is a SFGrip Attack14 with a slightly narrower blade and the Model 1 taper on its swedge. Full Mortise tang and 1/4" thick CPM-S35VN stock which the original Model1 has neither. I asked Randall if they would make me one about 6 months ago, and the reply was obvious. Hence the need for good Custom knife makers.

w0kh79.jpg

I only just saw your questions about the keyhole that I posted. There is no tang that extends into the wood. And Ron Newton told me he felt it didn't need the pin, but thought it would look good. He's a master at this design.

Anyone who might know who owns the the ebony keyhole also imaged here, let them know I would love to own both as a set. They were purchased separately by me, and the unkown other purchaser, at the Solvang Knife Show in 2012, thanks:

xlarge.jpg

Beautiful.

Hope everything is well with you Lorien.

I'm doing great, thanks, but I need to tell you that you're spamming up the thread with your numerous, repeated photos. Please cut it out.

Those are great....would go nicely with the ones I have from you. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sharpened the clip to a mirror edge...

I call it the Drastic Tanto... S7 and canvas micarta.

Back