LETS SEE THOSE MAGNIFICENT HJ's

Speaking of Rare - this knife is simply an amazing work of Art.......Wow!!

Ql3Zy3A.jpg

I will be back soon to post some phoots of some new arrivals - some stunning old HJ's!!

Last edited:
Impressive Collection There Duncan!!!! :cool:

You called it my Friend!! Drop Dead Gorgeous on that old bone!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I appreciate all the work you have put into the photos and research to share with us here!!!
Good to see some of Charlie's earlier SFO's! :thumbup: I'm sure he enjoyed the trip down memory lane!!!

Thanks!!
Dave

Robb. Mike, Charlie and Dave! Thank you all for commenting, as most of you know you personally have helped me no end, as well as others who have either gifted or let me buy these knives.
Dave- great to see you posting, dont forget what may happen if you even think of backing out of the Rendezvous!!!

I just want to say a massive heartfelt thank you to those who have so generously helped me with my knives - its not and never will be forgotten!

Last edited:
A BOX FULL of HJ's arrived very recently - I cannot begin to describe the feeling I felt when opening this amazing box full of treasures!!!

First up A Celluloid HJ, Nickel Silver Bolstered knife, lovely Federal Shield - with the very neat stamping of: Hartford Cutlery.Co, Warranted now this one is a wee bit hard to dig info up on.
Goins / Hartford Cut Co Tariffville Conn circa 1800 - and they only existed for a few years- so not this one- and several other variants of the Hartfords Stamping's - but none that help me with the location and birth place/ time of this knife - the Celluloid puts the knife in the 1930's to 1960's ? ( Generalising here ) ...so a nice project to find out more... this isn't a 1800's knife, I dont think it's German because The Pin is often ( but not always ) a tel tell - so the Bolster pin is Nickels Silver as well as the Bolster- with German cutlery usually ( again generalising and just me thinking aloud ) theres a Steel pin............

SFyKoqv.jpg

sQkvEP3.jpg

Formidable Punch on this wee knife- so beautifully and carefully tooled leaving such a nice interior finish to the Hollow Ground Punch.
w7U4eYk.jpg

Next up is this Utica Cutlery Co. Utica. NY. Made In The U.S.A Stamped Knife, now real hard to narrow down a time line on this Knife, circa 1910 - ? at a guess I would say this is a knife that dates between 1930's to 1960's, the Composite Black Stag is actually very cool and the knife is extremely well made and is just your typical knife that wasn't made to cost the Earth - value for money with a knife that has lasted a couple of generations plus - for around $3 a Dozen probably! :)

Utica's very well known Punch - I would take this knife as the most underrated of this knife lot - being of great history and build, but so easily passed by - that's kinda sad really.....

crDogMV.jpg

Fxr2Ckd.jpg

Last edited:
Stand aside because here comes Breathtaking quality ...

This Stamping of this knife leaves me absolutely spellbound - just like the very old Competitive Sheffield Stamping's such as I*XL, XL ALL etc, this knife is Stamped PEERLESS Cut.Co,..now get this CIRCA 1920 - 1921! Goins has them situated at 513 Broadway, NEW York City.

Bernard Levine Ed 4, has Peerlees as German Made in the 30's, there are though different factions of Peerless which confuses the exact dating.

PEERLESS - now just how is that for a Statement to the Customer and the Opposition!! But alas in the one year of existence this amazing knife was produced, the Punch looks a near perfect match to J.E. Coopers Punch ( Robeson ) patented April 25th 1905.

JECJ8tx.jpg

Just everything about this knife is just so amazing......., Bone, Shield, Punch, Main...Quality of Build, Brass Lined, Steel Pinned Beauty....

The Bone is just beautiful, Note the Worm Groove! :cool:

0eW2lMj.jpg

kgTpoH2.jpg

ZKDTglJ.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at this knife- I believe would be like sitting next to Mike tyson
Both having been at the Top of the World - which in itself is a completely unbelievable thing to achieve, and could both sing the song "Glory Days", they command respect and to be called Sir......

Heres why with this knife, Blade worn, but check out the Massive - HUGE Swedge, Match Strike Long Pull, Real fancy German Silver Bolster - Pinched, enough snap to remove the uneducated fingers and such a refined Punch that I would call probably the most attractive - yet simple Punches I have seen - hard to explain, the Hollow Grinding goes right through to the end of the Tang I would guess it ends at the Cam of the Blade.
The Stag!!, looks as though it came from the Vaults of The Old Solingen or Old Vaults of the Sheffield days - just absolutely presentation Grade without a doubt! - missing a wee Chunk - but so am I at only 52 years old I am missing a few bits and pieces where this knife being a Waterville Cutlery Co. Conn. Here we go - circa 1865 - 1890!!!! Dating this knife as 130 years old!!!

Levenes Ed 4 has Waterville Cutlery Co. Conn between 1843 - 1913, still making this a over 100 year old Knife - which one is right? doesnt really matter as close as they are.....
Here she is in all it's Glory.....

Y12oIo5.jpg

VxtFEKA.jpg

Just look how magnificent this knife is today........

Gw5TxbG.jpg

Reminds us of the very serious Grinds we saw in Charlie's Collection of empire Knives.....

cZzHSOx.jpg

Last edited:
My My My Duncan, AMAZING HJ's:eek::eek::eek::thumbup: I know your going to post more, so standing by my friend;)

Thank you Paul my friend. 👍

Another beautiful HJ, Smaller, Finer more Elegant and sports a nice subtle Sway-Back! I apologise as I find it hard to put into words just how my HJ's mean to me - so please Bear with me, because this one puts me to the test as well.

Robeson and Winchester Knives in the 1920's Goins states and I think this is widely known and agreed with that at that time they were making the worlds best knives - there would be equivalents - probably not better - but here is an equal, the Manufacture of this beautiful piece is some of the best I have seen, What a STUNNING knife, the Main has only slight loss, and has been cleaned - and the Punch is itself a nice piece, sporting Match-strike Nail Nick.
Bone-to -Die-For!!, Pinned Shield, Walk and Talk as smooth as Silk, Snap is precise, but wont take your fingers off, I would believe the snap hasn't changed since new - this would have always been a beautiful Smooth knife since new.
WESTERN STATES, BOULDER. COLO in a curved ( Arched Stamp ) circa 1911 - 1951 here is this absolutely stunning knife......

oK2rlHd.jpg

eYJr12B.jpg

zhPsDAC.jpg

Last edited:
Very Cool and Old....CORNWALL CUTLERY Co, NY City, made by Camillus according to Levines Ed4, Goins or Levines do not state Cornwall Cutlery Co, NY City, The two books dont actually have "Cutlery" stated - just Cornwall Knife Co - simple changes can at times place different dates of time of Manufacture, Goins has them circa 1900 - 1920, where Levines has them Circa 1930's.

This Antique has the same Punch as the Utica Punch on the Black Composite HJ mentioned above, this knife commands respect - walk and Talk is superb for a knife bordering 100 years old! No blade wobble at all - and when you get these wee tip Bolsters - theres a lot of torque and pressure going on to such a small Bolster that usually these wee Bolsters give in and create that side play - not in this case - this knife is as tight as the day it was made.
Very cool little Federal Shield, Grouse Colours ( heard that saying in the USA before - grouse? = meaning very cool :rolleyes: )

This knife has another 100 years left in it - easy...

tMOc6j6.jpg

fC0PSd4.jpg

T9iQCle.jpg

VLrU83v.jpg

Last edited:
Really Nice WINCHESTER - TRADEMARK - stamped on the main 2951 Pile side, Punch has stamped - Pat'd 1 -29-07. I cant find the reference to that particular Punch - that would help greatly in tying this knife down Beautiful Bone, in fact beautiful everything - now I am having trouble Identifying time of when this knife was made- Winchester - like all Knife companies had changes - taken on other brands - Schrade even making the Premiums at one of the stages - so what year is this knife from ??- I dont know - yet.

The Stampings have no USA or MADE IN USA, and in both reference books there is non stated that has my exact Stamping = as there are many variations of the Winchester Stamps,
From what I have read I can have a guess and say this is a 20's - 30's era Winchester, but I could be wrong....

Here is the Winchester.......

XAG33pV.jpg

63dHE3S.jpg

Great Punch - if you would - imagine a Split spring Whittlers Spine - with the Punch - having a double grind on either side leaving a " Split Wedge" in the middle - if this made a difference when using the Punch I dont know - or whether it was Aesthetics - but I would think that it would be more the actual workings - theres a lot of thought that goes into the makings of these knives, Springs, Punches etc

Last edited:
That "double-channel punch was invented in the time of Napanoch Cutlery. William Carman patented it at Napanoch in 1908.
Winchester bought Napanoch out in 1919, and used that punch for some years, then used a less-complicated design until they closed their doors.
I had GEC copy that punch for Teardrop HJ5!

Beautiful Un-heard-of Stampings ( for me anyway ) and a great joy to doing some research into them - it's never ending to the History of knives isnt it?

K & B Cutlery & Co. Stamped on the face side of Tang and Pile side of Punch, face side of Punch Stamped: Patented July 25th 1911 - I have no information to that Particular Punch Patent,
Circa 1894 - 1962, not a lot more information about Kruse & Bahlmann although I have found interesting little bits here and there, apparently based in Cincinnati - Knives were made in the USA.

Beautiful old Knife, with a slightly shortened tip - when I look at these knives I appreciate the work they have done- if it is genuine wear - and the knife is still in beautiful condition as this is - to me it's warmly welcomed - how could it not be? with Gorgeous Bone, that cute little Federal Shield - and walk and talk that just make you Oooh Maaan!

htCsKp9.jpg

LBstfLo.jpg

OO70wBB.jpg

BKKVLa3.jpg

Last edited:
That "double-channel punch was invented in the time of Napanoch Cutlery. William Carman patented it at Napanoch in 1908.
Winchester bought Napanoch out in 1919, and used that punch for some years, then used a less-complicated design until they closed their doors.
I had GEC copy that punch for Teardrop HJ5!

Wow...thank You Charlie, I hope that what I have written up is correct so far- if not I need to be corrected my friend - thats amazing information Charlie- Thank you so much for this

Two very very nice variants of Bone on the both of these Knives stamped only VALLEY FORGE CUTLERY CO. NEWARK. N.J ( no made in the USA) Goins has these as Circa 1892 - 1950 Levines Ed4 has these as 1892 - 1899.

The Spear and the "Clip" have the most amazing Walk and Talk!!

Interesting thing about these two knives and the last knife I posted is that they both share the very same Punch with the very same stamping Patented 25th July, 1911 ... but a further wee difference is that the wee " Clippy"of these two Valley Forge's has the Punch Stamped "PAT APPD FOR" stamped on the face....so this brings up a few thoughts ...

1, I am thinking that Goins dating of 1892 - 1950 for the actual Stamping of these knives - is more correct ( for these two examples anyway ) because it coincides with the dates applied and approved on the two Punches...

2, The connection of these Knives- BOKER USA owned VF Knives had the Stamping VALLEY FORGE CUTLERY CO. NEWARK. N.J - MADE IN THE USA (circa 1899 - 1950 ) company, and the K & B Cutlery & Co HJ that share the exact same Punch with the exact same Patent Stamping.

Man...Both knives are great, and as you see one blade has had use - well both have but the Spear is in amazing condition - the "Clip Point - well I dont think it was aoriginally a Clip point, this may have started as a Spear Point - something may have happened to the Tip- to take it down to the knife it is today - and I believe that this wee friend- will be in my every-day edc - while the Very very tidy example can stay in my collection.

XRVPZFC.jpg

AnI6vVj.jpg

DNLqk7a.jpg

The two same Punches - with perhaps just a wee bit of time between each other before the Patent was approved to change the Stamping.....

jiU5rvI.jpg

SJinddN.jpg

Last edited:
Back