LETS SEE THOSE MAGNIFICENT HJ's

Thank you VERY much Paul, Mike and Bob. :thumbup:

Charlie is helping me out a lot to learn about these fantastic Knives - Thank you so much Charlie :thumbup::cool:

They all look great to me Duncan! Fantastic in fact. Sigh, not really:D, another long thread I need to read from the beginning. :rolleyes: The example with the "clip" (quotations yours) looks very, very well done, to my eye. If it was taken down from a spear, and I would also agree with that, it has that "feel" to it, whomever did it obviously not only used the knife but loved it too. I wish I had so steady a hand!
Thanks, Neal

Thank you Neal and Dave. Aren't these knives just awesome. Each knife is just amazing- but that curved Western States Boulder HJ is simply adorable!!:eek:

Here's a rare one, from my point of view! I didn't even know this model existed until my friend from Winsted, CT wrote to me and offered it for sale. He lives very near the old home of the Empire Knife Company, and even had past relatives who worked there!
This one arrived the day before yesterday. The bone's beautiful but is chipped on the pile side, the blade is worn, and everything is quite patina-ed (sp?).
The punch is full, and the springs are excellent! Both blades have half stops.
Very likely built before WWI, or shortly thereafter.

Emp%20Wash%20HJ%201_zpswnk3efz7.jpg

Emp%20Wash%20HJ%202_zpsinnfmm2h.jpg

Emp%20Wash%20HJ%204_zpsk7hqj7ct.jpg

Emp%20Wash%20HJ%203_zpslnuermtz.jpg

The patent date on the punch is '06. Empire made this punch before then with a "pending" stamp on it, then stamped the '06 date when they received the final patent approval.
A class act IMO!

Very nice example of an Empire Charlie. :thumbup:

Maybe you have mentioned it at some point, but what is your favorite punch style?

BTW, I haven't forgot about your Fish Barlow.......it's coming along. :)

I have only seen it on Empires, Mark. Interestingly, half of these knives are HJs!
Double%20Bump%20shields%201_zpsjglbe81e.jpg

Knifemakers will like this detail below; the rattail bolster is stepped from the groove out to the end! It makes the ratttailgroove sit up from the main bolster surface - subtle but effective!!
Double%20Bump%20shields%202_zpsb4k5kfe2.jpg

WOW!!! Charlie, that knife is everything you said it to be -what a beautiful old Knife!
Charlie - what a classy line up of what I tend to call often "Top Shelf Knives" my friend!

Here is a HJ I recently Picked up.......

I don't see a lot of Schatt and Morgan ( Early ) HJ 's around, and this is one of the reasons I wanted to pick this one up and have a good look at it, also The Bone is just simply outstanding.

I like this old HJ and I welcome it to my collection, I am pleased to see that someone has used this knife very well- and also worn the Punch down a fair bit as well- quite often the Punch has had the least use- with this knife Both the Main and The Punch were appreciated.

Bernard Dates this Knife as in-between 1895 - 1931, where Goins has Schatt and Morgan dated 1902 - 1928, Charles Morgan ( you'd have to admire this man for the name alone :D ) became Partners in the Cutler business that was named New York Cutlery Company - and stamped their Knives with the well known SM symbol. The new mane of Schatt & Morgan trading under New York Cutlery Company in 1896, in 1902 they moved to Titusville - and I am wondering if this is why Goins has them at starting in the date of 1902?

Back to this old HJ, The Tang no longer bears any markings, under the Loupe I can only just pick up stand alone Vertical Parts of letters- and few of them as well - The Punch bears the Schatt & Morgan over Cutlery Co. over Titusville PA. So this would date the knife to in-between Goins's dates of 1902 - 1928.

ZqIg1ah.jpg

0QQUKrb.jpg

NfmGhpx.jpg

The Punch is a two piece Punch - where you see the Tang Stamp on the Punch - that is a separate Plate on its own.

Last edited:
That is a FANTASTIC HJ Duncan. Like mentioned is the use, I love that. The main, punch and bone have mellowed so well over the years and whoever owned that knife, used and cared for it well. I'd say it was a treasured companion for many years:)

Paul my friend you are correct as per. The state of the knife - well it has no salesman Markings- so in the pocket it will go a few times I dear say- although- I will have to ensure I carry a small Crow Bar to open that darned Punch lol - the last owner must have had nails of Steel i would say.

Oh Charlie I just peeked up and saw those STUNNING HJ's again, I just LOVE seeing thos amazing knives - thank you again my friend.

Sheeps-foot HJ!! Charlie can we see more? ( 3rd down from top )

Beautiful Bone Duncan!!! Man You gotta love that bone! :cool: Crisp jigging that has been worn smooth with years of use. Perfect!!
Yes Schatt and Morgan moved to Titusville in 1902 after their plant they bought for Case in Gowanda N.Y. burned down. I believe they were only in Gowanda for 2 years, the 1st five years S&M were just importers of English knives, according to David Krauss in his book American Pocketknives.
The punch was laminated as Charlie has shown before. I don't believe there were many knife companies that did that type of punch.
Perhaps "The Man" will stop by and enlighten us!! :D
Beautiful knife Duncan!! use it! enjoy it!!

Dave

Beautiful knife Duncan overall. The bone is stunning it reminds me similar knife that I had but I can't recall now. I have to look at my photos. Anyway as was told before rather uncommon HJ by SM.

Mike

Nice knife, Duncan!!
Apparently, John Schatt patented that punch. Maybe someone can find the patent.
Not that many were made, given the few I have seen. Several Schatt collectors are hoping Queen will revive it in a new/old knife. Queen started to make the old knives in past Schatt catalogs, but that series has faded away - - - -hmmmm - - - - - -wonder if they will revive it??

I wish I could do them all, Christian! GEC will only let me do a few projects a year. The demand for their knives outstrips their production capacity.
That said, we may be experiencing a new golden mini-era! Hard to see when you are in the thick of it! I never collected them much, outside my SFOs, but now I am slowly accumulating a few!

Back