LETS SEE THOSE MAGNIFICENT HJ's

Charlie- when I get home later this week research I shall kind Sir.
THAT is stunning. Charlie my friend I just don't know how you do it but every time you post a knife- - it's an experience for us all to enjoy.

I mentioned in the old knives Thread I received a box - inside was also 5 HJ's of which I will list later when I can , also some very nice Scouts.
Thank you for posting such a treasure Charlie. :)

Some day, Duncan, some day!!:rolleyes:

Meantime, here's a nice Boker! Looks like a Valley Forge!

View attachment 711479 View attachment 711480 View attachment 711481 View attachment 711482 View attachment 711483 View attachment 711484 View attachment 711485

And a Patent to research!!:cool:

I cant get over how amazing that knife is Charlie! Can I ask what are you seeing to recognise Valley forge look-wise in that gorgeous Boker?

EDIT: Charlie- That Punch is the same as the Punches on my Valley Forge HJ's - ( you may have seen those two HJ's before ;) ) Patented July 25th 1911 :thumbsup:
(Shown this Thread page 39 - post 777 - see below ).

jiU5rvI.jpg

SJinddN.jpg

Last edited:
I had a few Knives arrive from My Post Master in North Dakota the other day..
5 were HJ's,
two were of charlie's releases that I couldnt pass up- it turns out the Stag has a wee travel story to it..
Paul came across a seller who at the time had a few of Charlies SFO's for sale, Paul and I talked about them as he had the Lovely stag HJ'S - so Paul grabbed onE of them - he also a wee bit later grabbed one for me as well..... it turns out that Paul later had turned the stag one over in a deal with Evan- good ol Essnyx!

I didnt even know that this Stag beauty belonged to Paul when I bought this HJ!! so it has come from Paul-Evan to Duncan:):thumbsup: and this tells me I can use this HJ while Safe-queening the others and think of my friends as I use it = perfect!

Later Evan had these two hard to get and spectacular HJ's up for sale in the For Sale thread- well I saw them...having owning already these two, I tried to resist...went away, Evan still had them a day or so later- and I just had to contact him lol...and here they are...... Folks...these Knives are absolutely TOP QUALITY- amazing knives to handle......

E7C6jDO.jpg

61t321B.jpg

qRxXLuq.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a couple of great HJ's, the Utica very kindly gifted to me by Mr. Paul Hilborn, and the Other a Robeson, Both HJ'S sport Spectacular Bone Scales- and both have incredible walk and Talk- what a pleasure to handle these Great Knives!
Paul matey - Thank you so much my friend- what a Stunning old Knife.

Robeson..circa 1896 1922

owuQ1zQ.jpg

houMIMg.jpg

t20tjVa.jpg

CuI6mBO.jpg

Utica,,Check the Bone out on this beauty!....

XuaT53Z.jpg

ewdQZLG.jpg

djdXRkg.jpg

RHn1RKp.jpg

Thanks for looking at these great old Knives!

Last edited:
So, Duncan and everyone, here's why I thought that Boker looks like a Valley Forge!
Starting from the left, the tang is marked; Valley Forge (over) Cutlery Co (over)Newark N.J.
The Bone knife is the Boker pictured above a few posts. Both punches are marked;
Patented (over) July 25, 1911. The third knife has a (arched) PAT.APP'D (over) _._ (over) FOR.
It is a contract knife for Cleveland Cutlery Co. Warranted. All three have identical punches, with very slight variations.
The fourth knife is an HJ made by Ken Erickson, using the Valley Forge as a model!

Valley Forge Kin 1.jpg

Thank You Dave- you know more than anyone just how great these HJ's are my friend!

Nothing beats side by side comparisons- Great stuff Charlie- thank you for helping us out with that!
So going by the Punch Stamp - the Ebony at right would be the earlier Knife Charlie?

That's right Duncan. Theoretically, it was made before 1911 when the patent was granted. That's a pretty old knife!

Very nice knives, Duncan and Charlie. :thumbsup::)

Charlie, are there any other additions to this list of known punch patents? It is from BRL's list with your additions of several patents... don't remember the date of the list.

Rightor patent punch/file/latch, February 20, 1877

(No. 187,483): made by ?

Harrison patent punch blade dated June 10, 1902

(No. 701,878): made by New York Knife Co.

Cooper patent punch blade dated April 25, 1905

(No. 788,022): made by Robeson Cutlery Co.

Alvord patent punch blade dated October 16, 1906

(No. 833,146): made by Empire Knife Co.

Carman patent punch blade dated April 7, 1908

(No. 884,350): made by Napanoch Knife Co.

Schatt patent punch blade dated June 9, 1908

(No. 890,457): made by Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Co.

Mayer patent punch blade dated August 11, 1908

(No. 895,778): made by Camillus Cutlery Co.

Shepard patent punch blade, September 6, 1910

(No. 969,303): probably made by Warwick Knife Co.

Schrade patent punch blade with lock, July 25, 1911

(No. 999,060): made by Schrade Cutlery Co.

Fuller patent punch blades dated December 26, 1911

(No. 1,072,838) or February 15, 1916

(No. 1,171,422): made by New York Knife Co.

Klocker patent punch & cutting blade, April 6, 1915

(No. 1,134,539): made by Thomaston Knife Co.

Evens patent punch blade with lock, April 30, 1918

(No. 1,264,625): made by New York Knife Co.

Tillmanns patent punch blade lock, June 17, 1924

(No. 1,498,517): made by Remington Arms Co.

Wise Canadian patent punch blade, December 30, 1930

(No. 307202): imported by Premier Cutlery Co. Ltd.

I don't have any other patents to add, Jake, but it looks to me like Valley Forge used the Schrade July 25, 1911 patent punch above, and left off the locking mechanism, which was a riveted-on tab. Strange, but I am near to concluding it's the only explanation!

I am going to have to do some serious editing to replace Photobuckets speedo image with my new Imgur images

Back