Lets see those Scandi grind knives.

It's an YP-Taonta, by Antti Mäkinen, otherwise great stuffs indeed. Might I inquire some comparison between the Hurttila and the Mikkonen, just out of curiosity?

bradleybuckman, That last leuku, does not look like a Roselli to me, I cannot remember the makers mark on the blade, but do not think it is a Roselli. John
PS Lots of of very nice knives/

Yes, you're absolutely correct, and I mistakingly labeled it incorrectly. It is a YP Taonta 150 mm Leuku.

2013-10-05%2012.50.56-1_zpso7sxxuqu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Love my Scandi knife.

It's an YP-Taonta, by Antti Mäkinen, otherwise great stuffs indeed. Might I inquire some comparison between the Hurttila and the Mikkonen, just out of curiosity?

Sorry for the delayed response. Here are a few pictures, information and my observations on the Mikkonen puukko. I don't know much about Mr. Mikkonen, and from the limited search for information that I've done on him, I've only come up with that he is apparently the treasurer for the Finnish Knife Society http://www.puukkoseura.fi/hallitus.php. I was unable to really find anything else on him besides the knives that are listed for sale on lamnia.

Here are the specs on the Risto Mikkonen and Pasi Hurttila puukkos. My formal education is in business , so my measurements may be slightly less accurate than someone with a tool and die or engineering background and has a lot more experience with calipers.

Risto Mikkonen
Steel- RWL-34
Handle Material- Birch Bark
Handle Length- 108.17 mm
Blade Length- 99.78 mm
Handle Height (Top to Bottom at highest point)- 28.89 mm
Handle Thickness (Side to Side at thickest point)- 21.73 mm
Blade Thickness at thickest point- 3.79 mm
Blade Height- 22.22 mm
Weight of Knife without sheath- 3.7 oz

Pasi Hurttila
Steel-80CrV2 Carbon steel
Handle Material- Birch Bark
Handle Length-107.98 mm
Blade Length-94.98 mm
Handle Height (Top to Bottom at highest point)- 29.78 mm
Handle Thickness(Side to Side at thickest point)-22.74 mm
Blade Thickness at thickest point-4.74 mm
Blade Height- 22.26 mm
Weight of Knife without sheath- 4.2 oz

The Risto Mikkonen is a little longer than the Pasi Hurttila puukko, and the birch bark spacers are slightly thinner. The Mikkonen puukko has a more slight rhombic cross section (nearly indiscernible) than the Hurttila, and is polished. Both feature a micro secondary bevel.

IMG_2616 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

The sheath and dangler are connected with a round ring and braid.

IMG_2617 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

The dangler also has a slot on the back for what I believe can be used to attach to a button how some of the more dressier puukko's can be attached.

IMG_2618 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

Both sheaths are very well made and hold the knives securely. The Hurttila sheath is a little more robust, while the Mikkonen features a few unique details.

IMG_2621 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

IMG_2622 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

I haven't used the Risto Mikkonen nearly as extensively as I have the Pasi Hurttila, but it's a very capable knife in both performance and comfort during use. I have several other knives in RWL-34 steel and it's an excellent steel, that in my opinion, is superior to the silver steel in several areas. However, the silver steel is more than capable of handling anything that I'll ever use a knife for. I think where the RWL-34 would shine, is for someone that would be exposed to a lot of water, and would need the stainless benefits that it would offer. I personally prefer and use the Pasi Hurttila, but the Mikkonen cuts and performs just as well. Fit and finish on both is very comparable. The Hurttila is a little more robust and slightly better feeling in hand.

Last edited:
Another Risto Mikkonen puukko

Specifications

Blade Niolox® tool steel
Blade hardness HRC 59
Blade coating / finish Polished
Handle Curly Birch
Sheath Leather
Guard / ferrule / bolster Brass
Pommel / backplate Brass
Weight: 2.787 oz
Overall length: 7.6″
Blade length: 3.19″
Blade thickness: 0.13″
Country of origin: Finland

And he teaches puukko-making:
"Bushel-Finnish Community College

Hae kursseja
SEARCH
1104168 TRADITIONAL KNIFE COURSE B (eco-statement), Laitila

The course is prepared by Finnish traditional knife. Is used, where possible, recycled materials, eg. Car springs, or bearing frames, in the manufacture of knives. Also women are welcome to join the course!

Registration begins: 3/9/2015 5:00:00 p.m.

Register no later than: 09/09/2015 0:00:00

Teacher: Knife Smith Risto Mikkonen

Location Status: Participant Max 13, the course is full, you can register for reference.

Teaching Location: School Road 15, 23800 Laitila

Date and time: Wed: 18.00-21.00"

Don't think I've posted these Moras....

Frosts Favorite Hunter 346
Mora%20346_zpsw2l2sqjm.jpg

Frosts Swedish Trapper 365
Mora%20Swedish%20Trapper%20365_zpsxk0fmgci.jpg

KJ Eriksson Hunter 1710
MORA%20KJE%20Hunter%201710_zpsauhjifun.jpg

Size comparison
3%20Hunters_zpsgqpt0elk.jpg

KJ Eriksson Hunters mod. 1701 (Sandvik 12C27M top, carbon bottom).
KJ%20Eriksson%20Hunters%20%20mod%201701_zpszi1c8gai.jpg

Capped Moras

Two Broderna Jonsson's and a Carl Andersson in this style.
Capped%20Moras_zpsujaixtqq.jpg

KJE 510 (and a Vic Spirit)
compadres_zps4ml4i5qn.jpg

Couple more new pix. They show differences in older and newer Moras.

Here's a 40's-60's Carl Andersson next to a Morakniv Lam Classic # 2 from 2013.
Carl%20Andersson%20vs%20Morakniv_zpsfmxncrlu.jpg

Here's another 40's-60's Carl Andersson Classic #2 next to the same Lam Classic # 2 from 2013.
CA%20vs%20Morakniv2_zps5jzfe97r.jpg

Laminate blade scout. From the 1950s according Thomas Eriksson of Morakniv. Excellent knife for the gram counters.

K.J.%2520Eriksson%2520Mora%2520Scout.JPG

Back