Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Not really. When you look like me... It would be odd if I didn't have a large bowie on my side :p

Sailor's knife by Ottermesser.
Got this for bargain - even though it's affordable knife to begin with. :D

uPwjTdQ.jpg

I already put little sharpening choil for it. Build quality is overall good! It really fits my hand perfectly. Very agile knife in the hand and utilitarian.

796le2X.jpg

Comes with leather sheath. Neatly made, but weirdly thin leather. Retention is good though.
Not bad, but I will later make deep dangler sheath for it (sits bit too high from the sheath for my taste).

Last edited:
I want to find a decent sheath for my inexpensive, old-fashioned, (and efficient) Old Hickory "Sticker". This isn't a particularly special knife, but it comes under the design heading of a dagger. (Two edges, no waiting). :rolleyes:

I want to find a decent sheath for my inexpensive, old-fashioned, (and efficient) Old Hickory "Sticker". This isn't a particularly special knife, but it comes under the design heading of a dagger. (Two edges, no waiting). :rolleyes:

I seem to have replied to a different post than I intended; I wanted to compliment Smiling Knife on that old English hunting knife. I like it quite a bit. But since I am here, I thought I would mention that those Old Hickorys in that pattern are also sold as 'duct knives,' whatever that means (possibly to cut sheet aluminum in the heating/air conditioning trades?).

Last edited:
I believe I forgot to post a photo of this one I got last summer from Erik Loreno (eloreno) here on the exchange. AEB-L stainless @ 61-62 HRc with natural canvas micarta handles; it's 7⅓" OAL with a 3½" blade. Used it on a couple whitetails this past season and it worked beautifully. The sheath and lanyard were added by me.

531f7421-c19c-4232-8935-36e8e9a0d920_zpspqekzcl2.jpg~original

e431a45910353e268156f0bb742442c0.jpg

This is an old Bowie knife I used to play with as a kid (throwing at trees, digging holes). I basically tried to break it like all my toys. Digging through some old boxes, I found it in the same condition that I remembered it, rough. I buffed it off, and made some pants for it. Suprisingly, it took a wicked edge. One day, one of my boys can will own it. And probably throw it at trees and dig holes with it.

Wow, that's my first fixed blade right there. I saved Popsicle wrappers until I had enough to exchange for the knife. Probably 1950. Exact same pattern on the scales and also unmarked as to maker. Like you, I used it hard and it's a favorite in my current collection.

Back