Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Some great looking knives on here. Here's my latest purchase. I had Al Warren make me up this Bowie using S30v steel, and a Ghost Green Jade G10 handle. Wanted something that I knew wouldn't break on me out in the woods. He did a fantastic job. Haven't used it yet, but spring is almost here. I'm carrying it in a sheath by SOG. Fits like it was made for it.

40f43fb6d86f0c75f566103534e1092e.jpg
3952a4bda0b2be51682358f4b3fbea03.jpg
75857ec63e5e06000449a80b65007199.jpg
2c662ed42d5629815f05a4751de1d89e.jpg
1412dd5ae6d726c7cb1c5890f6e7094a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She isn't exactly perfect or pretty but neither am I. From what I'm seeing though, this 51 year old Puma is one heck of a knife.
I had a coworker back in the 80s that collected Pumas but I never paid them much attention. Now I'm regretting that.

Dont mind my lack of photo taking ability...and lack of a decent camera but here are some I made that might fit in the "Traditional" definition.

Small Bowie I made for my wife's family. They are big into horses so I used an old rasp and made a leather sheath to go along so they could ride with it. Ironwood handles, brass bolster and pins

Couple small kitchen knives, best for small prep work and fruit. 1095 steel with Ironwood handles

The one I kept. 1095 with Walnut handle from an old .22 rifle that was cracked in half.

Now my wife wants me to complete a set to match this knife which has got me excited to get back at it. These are just a few, I have quite a few others but dont want to clutter the thread too much!

Matt

Beautiful knives posted here but I can't stay because it will be costly, lol.

She isn't exactly perfect or pretty but neither am I. From what I'm seeing though, this 51 year old Puma is one heck of a knife.
I had a coworker back in the 80s that collected Pumas but I never paid them much attention. Now I'm regretting that.

What a great knife. I still have mine from when I was a kid. I'm not a Puma collector... but. Looks like a Hunter's friend or a Hunter's Pal.
Both models were the same drop point shape, but one was slightly bigger than the other. You knife looks pretty old because there is not a fuller.
That's a keeper.

Last edited:
What a great knife. I still have mine from when I was a kid. I'm not a Puma collector... but. Looks like a Hunter's friend or a Hunter's Pal.
Both models were the same drop point shape, but one was slightly bigger than the other. You knife looks pretty old because there is not a fuller.
That's a keeper.

It is a Hunter's Pal. According to Puma's website it was made in the first quarter of 1966. It's almost as old as me but in far better shape.

Dont mind my lack of photo taking ability...and lack of a decent camera but here are some I made that might fit in the "Traditional" definition.

Small Bowie I made for my wife's family. They are big into horses so I used an old rasp and made a leather sheath to go along so they could ride with it. Ironwood handles, brass bolster and pins

Couple small kitchen knives, best for small prep work and fruit. 1095 steel with Ironwood handles

The one I kept. 1095 with Walnut handle from an old .22 rifle that was cracked in half.

Now my wife wants me to complete a set to match this knife which has got me excited to get back at it. These are just a few, I have quite a few others but dont want to clutter the thread too much!

Matt
On the contrary, you seem to have set steel to verse, brought out the woods vows, and honored your wife's family with your creativity. Please clutter at will ;):D

It's been a bit since I last poked my head in this one. Now I want to run out and find a nice Puma...

Some recent additions;

My 60 month Randall Fireman in Ol' Yeller (yes, I waited 5 years for a knife) and a Buck Custom Kalinga in dyed bone.
DSC03473_zpsixndmnb4.jpg

What has to be one of the finest interpretations of the F/U knife, the Dawson War Dog, with an equally fine sheath.
DSC03474_zpsev5vdwma.jpg

The Randall trio at the moment. 1-8 leather, 12-11 Smithy leather and a 2-7 leather.
DSC03475_zpsoe2ahvkw.jpg

And a Bulldog Brand bowie picked up as a backdrop for the Bulldog 25's.
DSC03476_zpswi9hiotn.jpg

DSC03459_zpsk1n3k8w9.jpg

Hmmm, a Puma...

On the contrary, you seem to have set steel to verse, brought out the woods vows, and honored your wife's family with your creativity. Please clutter at will ;):D

Thanks for the kind and very well written words! I enjoy making these and have always been more of a fan of "traditional" or "antique/historical" knives that were commonly used in the past. I like hammer marks and patinas quite a bit. I just need to start making more for my own household is all. I give away all the pretty ones but I always say it gives me a reason to keep making them and in doing so, keep learning and refining the looks and performance. Im now dabbling in resurrecting some old folders (never done it before) but I would like to get back to the hammer and anvil soon!

Matt

Thanks for the kind and very well written words! I enjoy making these and have always been more of a fan of "traditional" or "antique/historical" knives that were commonly used in the past. I like hammer marks and patinas quite a bit. I just need to start making more for my own household is all. I give away all the pretty ones but I always say it gives me a reason to keep making them and in doing so, keep learning and refining the looks and performance. Im now dabbling in resurrecting some old folders (never done it before) but I would like to get back to the hammer and anvil soon!

Matt

I hope you find the will to do so, Matt! You have an eye and the skill and it sure would be a pleasure to see more of your creations. Looking forward to it ;):thumbup:There is nothing like the forged look in my book as well.

I have many many hobbies Gevonovich, but I always come back to doing light forge work when the mood hits. I too have a soft spot for the forged look and enjoy the process more personally as well. I no longer stress about making everything absolutely perfect as the hammer marks, pitting, coloring etc adds to the story and look of the knife. Here are two others I did this last Christmas, the "classy" Santoku style small prep knife for my Cousin who lives in NY City. Ironwood, brass and some antique (80's) micarta for the handles.

She works at Jack Daniels so the handle material is from an old Jack Barrel she gave me years ago stained/colored with Jack and a lick of flame. You could smell the whiskey when working the wood despite how old it was and the fact that it had been sitting outside for years. I love this knife and kinda wanna steel it back but she uses it quite a bit and that makes me happy. Only thing I wish is that I didnt have to TruOil the handle to protect it, it smelled amazing.

Fun little shot I took to show her while I was hammering it out.

With the main topic in mind tho, I want to hammer out a Bowie here soon as well. I LOVE the many different looks, sizes and handle configurations that have come along over time with this style blade and look forward to making one for my own use.

Matt

Matt
Gorgeous work. The Santoku looks like a super knife to use in the kitchen. I love the idea of re-purposing the barrel wood. It just sings with the forged blade. That's a beast of an anvil. Thanks for the additional photographs and I look forward to the bowie!!

Alan, those blades are amazing. I especially love the 12/11. It's not often that 7 and 8 inch Randalls look small.

I can't wait to see the Puma you find. I'm betting it will be a 1964 White Hunter.

A Coyote with olive wood handle. Pictured alongside its carved Pancake sheath:

eLEkcpj.jpg

Sonoran Hunter in ironwood:

i48WFT2.jpg

Two commissioned Buckaroos commemorating a big whitetail buck, (one for the guide and one for the outfitter):

qJT5ggD.jpg

Damascus bowie with Mammoth Ivory handle and an Ironwood spacer:

3k2XrQH.jpg

Sonoran Belt Knife, Sonoran Hunter and Sonoran Skinner all in sheep horn, along with The Pack Pac for carrying the two larger knives safely in a pack.

7ls7I7G.jpg

Here's my old Camillus survival knife. It wasn't actually issued to me. I had to "liberate" it from a remf supply type in Saigon in 1967. He had no use for it & I did.

Back