Let's see your Osprey K/T

I'm too lazy to create different content for every venue so apologies to those that see this stuff on Instagram

The great EDU

13712602_1293164914040943_799346490_n.jpg

13743186_519108694955046_1935087065_n.jpg

What is the thickness of the blade for you EDU?

69774327bdbbe0fe8ef3e06492558d68.jpg

d21a9211ad0fa84e58cc89f0224758fb.jpg

Re acquainting myself with this Beauty today. I'll be carrying this one for the next few days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man! I am sorry I missed the Action last week, I had a terrible bug that had me sneezing and coughing non stop for a few days, and was also moving.

That is Amboyna Burl if that is the same Mamushi you acquired from Jerry (Warroir108). I remember it being an exceptional piece with lots of figure like Rosewood Burl and hard to tell apart.

It is easier when you can compare the two species side by side Amboyna generally has a more reddish hue over all whereas the Honduran Rosewood Burl has more of a brownish coffee hue, they both can range widely in darkness, figure and hue so that can resemble each other quite remarkably. I am used to looking at them and I still have a hard time telling them apart sometimes. I mark my blocks of wood with the species type to keep track of this when I purchase them. Some blocks I have had over a year and when you have dozens it can get a little confusing sometimes.

I really like this shot Danny! Looking forward to more pictures!

Danny, I agree .. this is a cool shot with some nice close-up detail and outer blur.

Hey Chris, what Osprey Knife & Tool do you carry most often? Not sure if I've seen any pics from you yet. :D

Danny, I agree .. this is a cool shot with some nice close-up detail and outer blur.

Hey Chris, what Osprey Knife & Tool do you carry most often? Not sure if I've seen any pics from you yet. :D

Jerry,

You asked a good question, I will see about taking some photos in the future when I get the occasion.

There are several reasons for this, I shy away from being the subject of photography. So it never occurs to me to photograph myself carrying one of my knives or using one. I also dont spend a whole lot of time outside the shop not making knives. Phil (Vance) use to take pictures of me but I think he got tired of me giving him the middle finger every time he pointed the camera at me. :D Maybe I should remedy this. LOL

I generally don't carry a Fixed Blade as an EDC, for me being out and about in civilian cloths I prefer a folder for ease of carry and conceal ability, if i am out in the woods or I was back in the Army it would be a fixed blade.

I haven't been out in the woods for awhile unfortunately :grumpy:. I do have an 2 EDU's one at home and one at the shop. I find this is the knife I reach for the most in my day to day life. I use it for opening boxes, cutting tape, opening canned food, removing splinters, cleaning my nails, Etc.. right behind that would be a Kiridashi with 2 for more detailed cutting generally leather or any area I need a razor blade or exacto knife. I also have 2 Apaches one is a Safe Queen for now because it has sentimental value for me. The other stays in the Kitchen and gets used regularly for food prep.
Those fill my needs for now.

I have my first Knife and I have one I was voted into the Georgia Knifemakers Guild with. I don't use these

Outside of the house in a Rural setting It's a toss up between the Mamushi and the Warthog, with me leaning more towards the Mamushi.

With all that being said. I like to keep several styles handy in any one place. I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to carrying things on my person in and EDC scenario. I do keep knives, tools and other contingencies :D within easy reach wherever I go. So in a nutshell what I carry and why can change several times throughout the day, and I have organized myself to accommodate that.

I would also like to mention, that I tend to keep very few of my knives, the reason behind this, is because I am still in the mindset that I am growing. I still see areas of improvement and refinement in almost every area of my craft. I make a knife and I make it the best I can make it at that particular time, I admire it for a few days and then I look forward and say to myself the next one will be better than the last. So I haven't made a knife it my mind yet that I couldn't live with giving up.

Knives fit in 2 categories for me. Users and Viewers, Users I USE! and are viewed as a tool to be used when appropriate and then returned to it place I like unembellished and tough materials in this category, The exception to this would be a Fighting Knife . (Viewers) are the ones I would never use because they are to beautiful and expensive to abuse and my primary intention is to admire and study don't get used and stay in a safe place.

Most of the knives I keep for myself are DUDs. I like to use my knives and I have a really, really hard time just admiring and not using.

I also tend to get more satisfaction sharing what I made and seeing it live on through someone else's hands doing what it was meant to do.

I may have gotten off subject a little there, I hope that answered your question a little.

Next time I use or carry one of my knife I will try and remember to take or have someone take a photograph

Last edited:
^Instagram that s*** :)

I am also surprised the EDU doesn't get a lot more traction and requests. Handy little knife with just enough handle and blade length. If I were to start a collection of OKT knives it would be EDUs in various handles. Great knife and as the name implies, one you are likely to grab and use often.

I'll have to try out an Apache at some point. I really like the Razorback in that size range so I wonder how they would contrast.

I would also like to mention, that I tend to keep very few of my knives, the reason behind this, is because I am still in the mindset that I am growing. I still see areas of improvement and refinement in almost every area of my craft. I make a knife and I make it the best I can make it at that particular time, I admire it for a few days and then I look forward and say to myself the next one will be better than the last. So I haven't made a knife it my mind yet that I couldn't live with giving up.

No Problem!! Lots of us are keeping them for ya!

Hard to believe that we're in a three month count down to Blade Show 2017. This Warthog was a 2016 Blade Show knife that I picked up from Chris. It's exciting to think what beauties he'll have on his table this year in Atlanta:

DSC00758_zpso51oom9x.jpg~original

DSC00759_zpskqlxvrw7.jpg~original

Peter

Last edited:
^Instagram that s*** :)

I am also surprised the EDU doesn't get a lot more traction and requests. Handy little knife with just enough handle and blade length. If I were to start a collection of OKT knives it would be EDUs in various handles. Great knife and as the name implies, one you are likely to grab and use often.

I'll have to try out an Apache at some point. I really like the Razorback in that size range so I wonder how they would contrast.

I agree with you Danny, my hunch is the unique blade shape throws people off, and if you have nothing to compare it to it can be difficult to imagine the usefulness. Maybe I should make my own sort review to highlight what I find useful for the EDU.

I will post up a picture, I wanted to but I was hesitant to post It on Instagram with a food brand clearly pictured. I know this is something that is hard to avoid, but I try and make an effort to not promote or associate another brand in any kind of way just to play it on the safe side. I will do it again this week and post up a few pictures for you guy's I use the EDU all the time this way. I'm not promoted the use of your EDU this way because it is super rough on the edge. But this one is a DUD, and well one day I was hungry and didn't have a can opener and that's all I had available, I was so surprised with how well it worked that I continue to use it. LOL

We will have to get an Apache to you sometime soon, I think you will like it alot!

No Problem!! Lots of us are keeping them for ya!

I don't have a problem with this at all, helps me buy more tools to keep learning and make cooler stuff for you guy's. I get more enjoyment out of making them, seeing you guys talk about and use them, than keeping them for myself.

I could get used to one of those EDU's
..In OD green Natural liners and pins...You listening Chris?

I am listening, and watching.

Mmmm. OD over natural. Double thumb up

Maybe he makes two eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely will happen, but may not be at the same time. I will se what I can do. I have one almost ready for heat treat in the next batch.

That picture of the knife opening the can made me cringe, please tell me it was just lifting the lid after opening with a can opener or SA, correct me if I am wrong. Cool pics. :eek:

I have to admit, I opened the whole can with the knife, and several others after this one. I am probably going to do it again today too. I haven't sharpened it yet, it's not shaving sharp anymore after opening a half a dozen cans and other tasks around the shop, but it will still open cans, boxes and cut cardboard. I should probably tune the edge up. But not before opening another can for you guy's. LOL

Hard to believe that we're in a three month countdown to Blade Show 2017. This Warthog was a 2016 Blade Show knife that I picked up from Chris. It's exciting to think what beauties he'll have on his table this year in Atlanta:

DSC00758_zpso51oom9x.jpg

DSC00759_zpskqlxvrw7.jpg

Peter

Its coming up fast Peter,

I remember that knife, That's a real beauty, I believe its one of the first I did in this bolster Jade combo with carbon fiber. I hope to have many new things, and more refined blades this year. I have begun the early stages of organizing and ordering materials to begin in a few weeks.

Hard to believe that we're in a three month count down to Blade Show 2017. This Warthog was a 2016 Blade Show knife that I picked up from Chris. It's exciting to think what beauties he'll have on his table this year in Atlanta:

Peter

Excellent shots of a great looking Warthog Mr. P.

It's pretty crazy as it seems like Blade 2016 just happened. Time sure keeps on flying by.

I agree with you Danny, my hunch is the unique blade shape throws people off, and if you have nothing to compare it to it can be difficult to imagine the usefulness. Maybe I should make my own sort review to highlight what I find useful for the EDU.

I will post up a picture, I wanted to but I was hesitant to post It on Instagram with a food brand clearly pictured. I know this is something that is hard to avoid, but I try and make an effort to not promote or associate another brand in any kind of way just to play it on the safe side.

I've been meaning to post some thoughts, or at the least comparison photos, for a few models. Lately any freetime on the weekends has been roaming the woods. I need to spend more time on the computer rather than the phone so I will be more motivated to type out anything of substance.

I get a free pass on IG since I'm not selling anything :)

Danny I'd be happy to send you one. Pm me!

Thanks Douglas. I'll send you a note later today. Let me know if there is anything I have that you have seen and want to try. There is more here than what I've put pics of online so there is a decent chance I may have something.

Back