Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Re: Western S-901

To my knowledge, the tell-tale signs of Western-produced S-901 Camp/Utility knives (at least from mid-1960s to 1982, based on Western catalog re-prints of that era) are the long pulls on the spear master blade, can opener and bottle opener.

Steve, I believe your knife was made by Western, either in Boulder or Longmont (Western moved into the Longmont factory by Spring 1978).

Coleman owned Western Cutlery from 1984-1990. The 1986 Western catalog shows no S-901 (don't know if it was discontinued or just didn't make the cut for the catalog). I don't know if Camillus produced any Western-branded Camp/Utility knives during the Coleman ownership period, but if they did they would most likely have used Camillus tooling.

Camillus acquired the Western brand in 1991. To my knowledge, Camillus did not make Western-branded camp/utility knives after the acquisition.

Awesome info!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm guessing this one was cobbled together or re-handled somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
Scout patterned knives are my favorite. My collection today, less a SIZA D04.

Scout%2520Knives.JPG

Does anyone know of a thinner camp knife that could be found on the auction site? I've always loved the camp pattern but the models I have (with exception to My great grandpa's forest master) have been too thick to be comfortable in my pocket.

Irona, the thinnest I own are the "Demo Knife" - all stainless US military knife, and the ALOX handled Farmer by VICTORINOX - oh, my VIC Electrician is even thinner. OH

Does anyone know of a thinner camp knife that could be found on the auction site? I've always loved the camp pattern but the models I have (with exception to My great grandpa's forest master) have been too thick to be comfortable in my pocket.

Maybe the three bladed Cub scout knives may work? Boker has a "bartender" knife which may be thinner, but have not held one. The SAK cadet is pretty thin.

Irona, the thinnest I own are the "Demo Knife" - all stainless US military knife, and the ALOX handled Farmer by VICTORINOX - oh, my VIC Electrician is even thinner. OH

Thanks, but I'm looking more for traditional camp/scout patterns, though I do love my SAKs!

Maybe the three bladed Cub scout knives may work? Boker has a "bartender" knife which may be thinner, but have not held one. The SAK cadet is pretty thin.

I'll definitely check out the 3 blades.
Thanks, guys!

Yes, a three-blade scout is often thinner though still two springs. And you can find them without the Cub Scout or Girl Scout logos.

Kent%2520Scout%2520Knife%2520Closed.JPG

Kent%2520Scout%25203%2520Blades%2520Open.JPG

Also, Kutmaster made a shorter, thinner four-blade scout.

Utica%2520Kutmaster%2520Scout.JPG

Yes, a three-blade scout is often thinner though still two springs. And you can find them without the Cub Scout or Girl Scout logos.

Kent%2520Scout%2520Knife%2520Closed.JPG

Kent%2520Scout%25203%2520Blades%2520Open.JPG

Also, Kutmaster made a shorter, thinner four-blade scout.

Utica%2520Kutmaster%2520Scout.JPG

Perfect, thanks! I don't ever have a use for an awl anyways, so losing it shouldn't be much of a compromise.

There's always the Case Jr Scout. It a fully undersized scout. Here's a comparison pic of a full scout, a cub scout, and a jr scout.

cZVDALjh.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to post a recently-acquired Marbles Workman Trapper in this thread because it looks like a scout variation to me.
Spearpoint main (with a little ruler), in-line philips screwdriver, bail, caplifter/flathead driver/stripper combo tool. Stainless steel and G-10 covers.
JBIJT9D.jpg

CsL7xho.jpg

- GT

Back