Let's see your Shadetree

^FeralGengleman - I loved all your matching black bolstered Tangerine burlap knives. That is a very cool Runt! :thumbsup: We "need" another group photo of that set.

You also need to bump your awesome photo of the Shadetree / Fiddleback Bullseye group. That is one of the best photos ever posted on this forum. :cool:

Phil

I personally like the grippyness the burlap provides. Haven't had any issues a little mineral oil couldn't solve.

IMG_4319_zpsad59185b.jpg

I personally like the grippyness the burlap provides. Haven't had any issues a little mineral oil couldn't solve.

IMG_4319_zpsad59185b.jpg
I also am appreciating the positive grip the material has. I use mineral oil on my blade and Howard's on handle...you use mineral oil on handle with good results?

Some gorgeous knives posted.

Regarding the Electric Orange; I am unsure whether I love or loath seeing photos of it. Here's to wishful thinking that a couple dust-covered slabs will be unearthed in a maker's material pile somewhere and that somehow it will make its way into Andy's hands to be expertly contoured onto a desired model that I would also be swift enough to lay claim to.

Scotcha Scotcha maybe dried out would be a better descriptor for wood handles (leather contact). Easy remedy though with the deserved care of these working pieces of art. And no shame, whether we want to admit it or not there is a collector in all of us be it the tangible knives themselves or in desire of wanted steel.

Comprehensivist Comprehensivist I appreciate that Phil. I do need to get some fresh burlap photos to share

Super excited to have both of these! Thanks for making kickbutt stuff Fiddleback Forge!!

I called the shop back in early March asking "Got anything in Ruby burlap". Phillip had a Bushfinger and an Asp that matched each other and I snatched the pair up. A couple weeks ago another inquiry for "Got anything in Ruby burlap, Navy burlap, Bog Oak or Bushnubs?" and I about jumped out of my skin when a description came back for a Bushnub. Given a bit of a mail delay with Harvey, the nub arrived yesterday. Both are Ruby over Black with 1/8" TT goodness ...

2v2u6CYyWxAKujh.jpg

For Bushfinger fans, here is a spine-spine comparison picture. The Bushnub has that great Bushfinger blade profile, the blade is just a tad shorter while still very capable and the OAL provides a more ADC (any day carry) sized knife that still has a comfortable handle.

2v2u6CYFLxAKujh.jpg

:thumbsup: Awesome duo Jerry! That particular batch of Ruby burlap is one of the nicest I have seen in terms of deep color and material density. Congratulations on the matching score. :)

Phil

Awesome pair Warrior108 Warrior108 Where is the pic of the matching themed sheaths???

I'm not sure why the Bushnub never crossed my radar, I do like its bigger sibling. That color combo does remind me that I have not had my similar black on ruby Kephart out in a while.

Awesome pair Warrior108 Warrior108 Where is the pic of the matching themed sheaths???

I'm not sure why the Bushnub never crossed my radar, I do like its bigger sibling. That color combo does remind me that I have not had my similar black on ruby Kephart out in a while.

Well, time to get that bad boy out and post up some pics ;-)

Annnnd here are the knives with the sheaths ...

2v2u6CYNnxAKujh.jpg

2v2u6CY5GxAKujh.jpg

I took a closer look at Shadetree's navy blue earlier in this thread, noting:

"Shadetree CC's "Navy Blue" ranges from a true navy through more of a turquoise, depending in part on how much green is within the material."

But now, what's this?

IMG_8123.jpg~original

Patch, Esquire, Lil Lady, Sgian Dubh, Pocket Kephart

... we are now seeing a blue of a different color!

While all the above knives are clearly blue, a closer look reveals some significant variation-- with the Lil Lady's New Blue representing a clear departure from previous batches, although some lighting conditions highlight this more than others. The PK and Lil Lady look fairly similar above, yes? But look what happens when we move in closer:

Patch:
IMG_8103.jpg~original

Sgian Dubh:
IMG_8104.jpg~original

Pocket Kephart:
IMG_8105.jpg~original

Esquire:
IMG_8112.jpg~original

Lil Lady:
IMG_8100.jpg~original

One of these things is not like the other!

Let's look again:
IMG_8110.jpg~original
IMG_8109.jpg~original
IMG_8112.jpg~original
IMG_8106.jpg~original

And the Lil Lady's blue again, after Howard-ing:
IMG_8107.jpg~original

Backing out:
IMG_8124.jpg~original

While obviously a matter of preference, the PK has the prettiest blue to my eyes, the truest blue enhanced by the jewel-like dimensionality of the shot-through green.

IMG_8126.jpg~original

I don't dislike the color of the Lil Lady (and other, newer-batch knives), but I don't prefer it to the other variations-- not so much because of the hue, but because of its comparative lack of visual depth. Also, whether due to the material itself or variations in the finishing process on this particular knife, the newer blue feels rougher, and looks rougher when viewed close-up (notice all the 'white noise' in the pre-Howard pictures above). The Howard's evened things out well, but the the material still seems different.

~ P.

I’ve been super hesitant to get another set of Shadetree after an initial bad experience. Compared to older Westinghouse and similar domestic product, I just doesn’t measure up for me. Without the heat and pressure, I just don’t have the confidence in it.

I’m not trash talking it at all. Just noting my preference after what you are sharing.

I’ve been super hesitant to get another set of Shadetree after an initial bad experience. Compared to older Westinghouse and similar domestic product, I just doesn’t measure up for me. Without the heat and pressure, I just don’t have the confidence in it.

I’m not trash talking it at all. Just noting my preference after what you are sharing.

Understood!

I recently discussed "micartas, with a custom traditional knife maker who expressed similar misgivings (actually, downright bafflement at first! "What is this stuff?!") regarding Shadetree material(s)-- especially in direct comparison with Westinghouse micarta, with which he has direct experience. Handling some Westinghouse for the first time (really, nothing else like it!) and evaluating his finished knives, I can understand his reservations regarding Shadetree composites for his specific applications (including non-complementary aesthetics, although this wasn't the focus of his concern).

For my part, it was Shadetree Burlap that first drew me to Fiddleback Forge knives, and I'm loving this dance with what brung me-- with an occasional hardwood hoedown here and there.

To my eyes and hand, the materials all just work so well together, visually and tangibly, in these knives. I love the visible burlap threads, the depth and texture the material provides, how it scuffs and gets grippy in use yet jewels right up again with some Feed-n-Wax/oil/care.... And, whatever the FF & gang is doing differently from other makers, their Shadetree handles seem to come out extra fly in comparison with many of the other offerings I've seen out there. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I'm not alone in regretting your "initial bad experience" with the composite, but also doubt I'm alone in my confidence in this material on my Fiddleback knives. Which is good, because the optics just do it for me, as discovered once again when paring down the leftover outtakes from Warrior108 Warrior108 's PK Chisel shoot:

IMG_8258.jpg~original

IMG_8259.jpg~original

(Jerry, there's no disputing that the PK's blue is a Best Of®!)

~ P.

P, I know you mean about the visual depth. Scotcha Scotcha 's post in this thread from a couple months ago shows some Evergreen burlap that, to me, looks like you can see into the multiple layers of burlap.

Never seeing the Navy in person, I'd say from the pics that I would also prefer the older 2-tone variety.

Back