Lets talk GEC!

The problem with a double ended knife is that you lose blade length on the main because of the joint at the other end. I'd love an 82 with a regular clip main and a sheepfoot secondary at the same end. And make it a barehead while you're at it.

Fantastic, Thank you!
I didn't think of this when I questioned why Bozack would prefer a jack set-up over the single spring.

If the sheepsfoot secondary would be the sale length, them I can see the omission of the third blade, but if it was 3/4 or less, them why not have the third blade.
And with the third blade back in, we are looking at another run of dixies...

But then we are basically asking for what would be akin to an improved stockman as opposed to an improved trapper.

If the sheepsfoot secondary would be the sale length, them I can see the omission of the third blade, but if it was 3/4 or less, then why not have the third blade.

Without the third blade, four things can happen that I like: 1) the main can be made about 1/8 to 3/16" longer, 2) no blades need to be crinked (bent to pass the third blade), 3) it would be a little lighter in weight, and 4) you can make it a barehead.

The problem with a double ended knife is that you lose blade length on the main because of the joint at the other end. I'd love an 82 with a regular clip main and a sheepfoot secondary at the same end. And make it a barehead while you're at it.

Not if designed and executed properly.
Go with one size wider back spring, offset grind the main, place a catchbit on the opposite end and grind the secondary from thinner stock so it all fits. Aka, white owl, TK Cuban, Northwoods Presidential, etc.

wow. thought i'd get through this run of #48's unscathed. and then this shows up...

GEC-ILLUSTRATED.jpg

Ughhh! Right after I gave in and ordered the "Pickle Stabber" (to go with my "Blood Worm") !!!!!
Yes ..... I am naming my knives now. Taking suggestions on the blueberry soon to follow.

Last edited:
Not if designed and executed properly.
Go with one size wider back spring, offset grind the main, place a catchbit on the opposite end and grind the secondary from thinner stock so it all fits. Aka, white owl, TK Cuban, Northwoods Presidential, etc.

I don't have a TK Cuban or a Presidential, both on the 53/54 frame, but I do have Big Jacks and Cuban Stockmen on the same frame, and the jacks have a longer blade than do the stockmen (2.99" to 2.92"). Not quite an eighth inch longer, but these have double bolsters. In a barehead knife the blade could be made even longer.

The #53 Cuban stockman, the #48 traditional trapper and the #12 toothpick all used exactly the same muskrat clip mains, and the double ended stockman is 4-1/8" closed, the very upcurved toothpick is 4", and the trapper is only 3-7/8" closed.

Ughhh! Right after I gave in and ordered the "Pickle Stabber" (to go with my "Blood Worm") !!!!!
Yes ..... I am naming my knives now. Taking suggestions on the blueberry soon to follow.

given that a weasel is pretty much a furry, four-legged snake (and therefore not a snake at all...) and the coloration is positively oceanic, how about...THE SEA SNAKE?

Jeff,
Here is what I'm talking about. You can see everything that I mentioned before. Offset ground main, wide spring catchbit etc.
I couldn't find a regular ruler so I used an architectural scale. 53 outside bolsters is 4.1", main blade is 3.0".

20170328_184730_zpsiatuhpgc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now, here is another concept. Two main blades on a single spring that fill the entire length of the frame. As seen on this muskrat pattern. Backspring 2x the blade stock width. Catchbits on opposite sides that are 1/2 the back spring width. Both clip points slip by one another and fill the blade well.
20170328_190359_zpsc9os0nye.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170328_190257_zpstrdwinqc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wow. thought i'd get through this run of #48's unscathed. and then this shows up...

GEC-ILLUSTRATED.jpg

I got the amber jigged bone and hoped that was the one. After see this, it is making it really tough not to get another...you know...to keep the one I have company ;)

Since that third blades rides so low, I don't really see what is lost from having it, aside from a (very) little bit of weight savings. I would even venture to say that the third blade offers a little bit of variance and stout-ness that the two longer blades do not.

Would a single spring with two full sized blades (both shown above, moose like pattern, but the 82 frame) also be less than desired?
As a jack set-up, you would have the two springs anyway, so I am curious as to why the third blade is that much of a detriment that it would sway your decision on the knife?

I am not trying to be snarky about it, I am genuinely curious if I am missing or overlooking something.

Don't get me wrong, the stockman is my favorite pocketknife. The reason for the Jack is simply the desire for something different. I also prefer two springs to one and do not find the moose pattern to my liking. Call it personal preference.

That Blueberry bone is nice. Pertinux oughta pick up on that pretty quick. I also like that it's a single blade.

I don't know how I feel about this one. Using bone from cattle, or even giraffes is one thing, but killing smurfs for their bone is going too far.

The Blueberry bone isn't for me, but I will say that it's nice you can tell it's actually blue. I have a Stonewashed Blue #14 that might as well be called Stonewashed Black. :D

FE0880D9-645F-4288-AACF-D84E07B902FC.jpg

Blueberry bone? Where can I find THAT one??? That would look pretty sweet next to the bloodwood 48. Oh, OK there it is, got it.

Last edited:
I can kind of see the resemblance... :D

Least-Weasel-Images.jpg
yPrIfM6l.jpg

One solitary little weasel was waiting for me when I got home yesterday evening. It has a really nice oily wood smell that I haven't noticed on other new GECs.
33628749075_f2a0251e9a_b.jpg

33628749055_08168ffec4_b.jpg

Oh good grief. The 48 Northfield bone is green. Aaaany other color jigged bone and I could have let it go no problem, but the pickle green calls to me; it calls to me like a siren. :p:eek:

32786716394_1e1d201d68_c.jpg

Picked up my Bloodwood 48 this morning and the oilly wood does smell good, but not quite as good as Hoppes Solvent...........

Last edited:
I'm repeating myself, but I just got my bloodwood Weasel today too. It's flawless in every way. Dead center closed, no liner gaps, nice snap, perfect "5" pull, nice snap, zero blade wobble. The bloodwood is beautiful. I don't know if it's the polish or the residue oil, but I think there's a hint of chatoyance in it too. Fantastic knife. My last few GECs have been great. They've stepped up their game since I first started buying them.

If you want one, and can find one, act fast. When I ordered mine for KSF there were 13 in stock. Next day there were 9. Now there are none.

Back