Lets talk GEC!

Bill tells me the Sheepfoot TC SFOs will be made right after the Forum knife. Gabon Ebony or Dark Red Sawcut bone, long pull. The usual dealers, but we cannot discuss that on this forum!!

How 'bout some Ragg bone on the Red Sawcut? That sure would look good!

Hey guys,what's your opinions on GEC's all steel version?And what's the advantage and disadvantage of the all steel version compared with the normal version?
I think all steel is really special and could make the whole knife become a entire patina,not only the blade itself,which could bring us back to the old times.I believe folks who have GEC Barlows must have a deep impression.The only disadvantage of all steel version might be the weight--a little heavier?
Then another question comes out,why do manufacturers prefer to use the normal version--nickel silver bolster&shield,brass liner&pins?I do not mean it is not an excellent,but in my point of view,getting patina on the whole knife is better than having scratch on nickel sliver bolster&shield in daily work though scratch will also be a little darker after a long time.
Am I just too crazy about patina?Tell me your thoughts please.
(By the way,I wanna make sure whether GEC Barlows' "all steel" are all 1095 or not.Do they use different kinds of carbon steels on different components?)

Me too Jamie! Lack of brass makes for a tighter gap free construction in my experience. My Crownlifter 15 is a very good example of that and the 38 range the best knives GEC has made, so far... I'd like them to go one stage further up and towards the Custom aspect by offering all STAINLESS construction as well. Not likely though more's the pity;)

IMG_4337.jpg~original

Hey guys,what's your opinions on GEC's all steel version?And what's the advantage and disadvantage of the all steel version compared with the normal version?
I think all steel is really special and could make the whole knife become a entire patina,not only the blade itself,which could bring us back to the old times.I believe folks who have GEC Barlows must have a deep impression.The only disadvantage of all steel version might be the weight--a little heavier?
Then another question comes out,why do manufacturers prefer to use the normal version--nickel silver bolster&shield,brass liner&pins?I do not mean it is not an excellent,but in my point of view,getting patina on the whole knife is better than having scratch on nickel sliver bolster&shield in daily work though scratch will also be a little darker after a long time.
Am I just too crazy about patina?Tell me your thoughts please.
(By the way,I wanna make sure whether GEC Barlows' "all steel" are all 1095 or not.Do they use different kinds of carbon steels on different components?)

Might be surprising but steel is actually lighter than brass so the knife is a bit lighter!
I like the all steel knives but tend to like the variation in materials even more that you get with the brass liners. I'd love some brass bolstered examples.

The steel GEC uses on the liners is a type of mild steel (very low carbon which keeps it soft) and carbon content affects the corrosion properties of steel so the liners actually patina at a slower rate than the blade and backspring. A cool property of having steel bolsters and liners is that they junction can be welded instead of soldered which is a much stronger process. I've never deformed a brass knife though so I don't see the strength as being a deciding factor at all. I would not like stainless liners/bolsters unless the blade was stainless too. I think stainless looks great when new but with age it just looks run-down as it scratches while carbon steel works into a warmer feel as it ages (scratches and patina).

Bottom line: I'd like to see more all brass knives (liners+bolsters) than all steel knives.

I have both of them. Surprisingly not as popular as some of the other CC SFOs. Possibly due to the fact that this run of 48s are all so good and offered a lot of good choices.

The jigging on both is fantastic, and its the main reason to buy them over the standard 48s.

Other than the jigging, they are just as good as the other 2017 48s, which is saying a lot as the fit and finish of this run is first rate.

The 48 itself is a classic and very useful pattern. When I first got into GEC its the main pattern I would search for, and like the 66 it took a while to find. People just don't sell them. I don't think you can go wrong.

Anyone have the 48 Charlie SFO from this year? Share your thoughts on it please.

I have both Chestnut and Antique Amber, and both are superb examples. My preference of color is the Chestnut, but both are quite nice. I especially appreciate the jigging.

They both have excellent fit and finish. All of the things some may or may not care about seem right on these. Good transition from covers to bolster, no large gaps anywhere, the blade spine is even with the spring when open, no blade play...what else...centering is perfect on one, and slightly off center on the other. I would rate the pull at a 5 or 6 on both, but admittedly am probably not the best judge of this. The clip on these may not be my favorite shape, but they're not as narrow (edge to spine) as others I've seen.

I have both Chestnut and Antique Amber, and both are superb examples. My preference of color is the Chestnut, but both are quite nice. I especially appreciate the jigging.

They both have excellent fit and finish. All of the things some may or may not care about seem right on these. Good transition from covers to bolster, no large gaps anywhere, the blade spine is even with the spring when open, no blade play...what else...centering is perfect on one, and slightly off center on the other. I would rate the pull at a 5 or 6 on both, but admittedly am probably not the best judge of this. The clip on these may not be my favorite shape, but they're not as narrow (edge to spine) as others I've seen.

I wish I could get those covers on the 2-blade improved trapper knife. That would please me.

Thanks for the input. Came across the Antique and am awaiting in the mail.

I have both of them. Surprisingly not as popular as some of the other CC SFOs. Possibly due to the fact that this run of 48s are all so good and offered a lot of good choices.

The jigging on both is fantastic, and its the main reason to buy them over the standard 48s.

Other than the jigging, they are just as good as the other 2017 48s, which is saying a lot as the fit and finish of this run is first rate.

The 48 itself is a classic and very useful pattern. When I first got into GEC its the main pattern I would search for, and like the 66 it took a while to find. People just don't sell them. I don't think you can go wrong.
Thanks. I am waiting for the Antique.

I wish I could get those covers on the 2-blade improved trapper knife. That would please me.
Yeah, have to agree with you for sure. There was nothing wrong with the covers on the improved trappers, but there weren't any that I fell in love with either. I really like my Rotten Banana 48, but I'm a Jigged bone fan deep down. I really wish they would do a NF Churchill in Jigged bone.

Thanks for the input. Came across the Antique and am awaiting in the mail.

Awesome! I'm sure you'll like it. One last thing I forgot to mention is it has a nice thin profile if you choose to carry it.

Yeah, have to agree with you for sure. There was nothing wrong with the covers on the improved trappers, but there weren't any that I fell in love with either. I really like my Rotten Banana 48, but I'm a Jigged bone fan deep down. I really wish they would do a NF Churchill in Jigged bone.

I tried to do an SFO for just that, but they've already got the material train going so I couldn't hop on.

I tried to do an SFO for just that, but they've already got the material train going so I couldn't hop on.
Oh man, too bad! I'm thinking they had the Churhills in the works for awhile before announcing them, as they released all of the cover materials right away instead of all the TBDs we normally get.

Oh man, too bad! I'm thinking they had the Churhills in the works for awhile before announcing them, as they released all of the cover materials right away instead of all the TBDs we normally get.

Could be. I had the shield picked out and the wife onboard and everything! Oh well, another time.

I like them both equally. Colors, jigging patterns, fit & finish, blade straightness and centering, and walk & talk...all top notch. :cool:

YaQW91J.jpg
The Antique is on the left? Thank you for the Photo. I am glad I was able to still find one. Did not have a choice. Antique was all they had but I was not going to be picky.

Back