Lets talk GEC!

I'm surprised there's not more talk about the #81, I guess because we don't have much info yet? I'm thinking I'll grab one rather than a Churchill. The forum knife is fantastic as I'm sure the Churchill will be but something about the 81 has my attention. At first I thought I'd rather a wharnie secondary to a clip but the more I look at it the more I like the idea of putting the clip to use for the dirty work and keeping the spear for food. 4" is pretty much the largest I like to carry as anything longer just doesn't work for me in my back pocket. Hoping for some more details soon...

I'm surprised there's not more talk about the #81, I guess because we don't have much info yet? I'm thinking I'll grab one rather than a Churchill. The forum knife is fantastic as I'm sure the Churchill will be but something about the 81 has my attention. At first I thought I'd rather a wharnie secondary to a clip but the more I look at it the more I like the idea of putting the clip to use for the dirty work and keeping the spear for food. 4" is pretty much the largest I like to carry as anything longer just doesn't work for me in my back pocket. Hoping for some more details soon...
Yeah. Several variants. Trying to imagine the orange wood. Gotta wait till November!

I think a lot more folks will talk about it as it draws nearer to release and GEC posts production photos. I know a lot of people like the 81 frame, but it just seems like there's great (or at least interesting (talking to you Calf Pen)) stuff around every turn lately from GEC.

For me, I like the shape, but it's a bit big, and I personally do not like the blade combo. Some of the cover materials are enticing though.

I wish it was the same blades and size as the Churchill. I just like the serpentine better than than plain 14 frame.

I think we're all just a little bitter about the 81 not being a Stockman. ;)

Personally, I'm excited for the Churchill. I like the blade combo, and am partial to multiple knives sharing a spring. The cover materials just take a little wind out of my sails.

I know that there is inconsistencies when they dye bone, but it seems like GEC is not doing a good job lately whenever they have to dye camel bone. Most of the recent blue camel bone SFO were completely washed out with hardly any blue coloration. If they are going to have so little blue in the bone then they should re-dye them or start soaking them in the dye for a longer period of time. Shouldn't this be a factory second?
IMG_6421.JPG

Last edited:
I am excited about the #81, love the blade combo ( although I would prefer a sheepsfoot secondary ,still a moose right???), cover materials, size. I have been wanting a moose for some time. I am also excited for the 35 Churchill, but, agree the cover choice leave a bit to be desired.

The Churchill looks like a winner I just hoping GEC will level the sheepfoot so that it is parallel...
You're very welcome. It's likely that Bill just likes to make sheepfoot blades that way. If it was a spey blade, the spine would be parallel to the handle--for example, that's how they're making the new 82. CSC did the same thing on the prototype of our forum knife. They changed it so that it was parallel after feedback on the forum. Maybe GEC will change it also (fingers crossed!). I'm looking forward to this pattern either way!

Print made Bold because they express my thoughts exactly.
The Churchill is a sweet design but I am hoping Mr. Howard can produce it with the sheepfoot blade parallel to the spine when closed. Pleassssse!!!:)

I'm really looking forward to the 81. I like the size, blade configuration, and cover options. I know many probably want it in a stockman configuration, but I prefer the moose for my use.

The Churchill looks like a winner I just hoping GEC will level the sheepfoot so that it is parallel...

Print made Bold because they express my thoughts exactly.
The Churchill is a sweet design but I am hoping Mr. Howard can produce it with the sheepfoot blade parallel to the spine when closed. Pleassssse!!!:)

I'm just checking in as a freak that likes the sheepsfoot blade to ride higher than the clip.

I would think that the Churchill's secondary would ride lower than the main. It's not like a stockman where you have to give enough room for the spay blade.

I'm really looking forward to the 81. I like the size, blade configuration, and cover options. I know many probably want it in a stockman configuration, but I prefer the moose for my use.

A moose for your use? Some bone for your own?

I'm looking forward to seeing the Appaloosa bone on the 81.

I pre-ordered the Natural Canvas Micarta and TBD Bone, I would love me some Hemlock green like on the 66s or Smooth Ivory bone.

Was able to nab this one....it seems the deeper blue ones were limited to about 25% of the total.

wdjOg9e.jpg

I saw some other dye jobs on 66's that came out a deep blue like that. I wouldn't be terribly pleased with the mostly-white-with-some-blue bone, myself. Maybe it depends on what part of the bone the cover is cut from?
What they expressed to me at last year's rendezvous was that not only is camel bone more dense than cattle bone, but it is also much more inconsistent in it's densities - which explains the different dye jobs from knife to knife, and even on individual covers.

I agree though, that I'd prefer the pale samples to be dyed again or longer so that they're more saturated with the specific color. What I don't know (but may try to ask) is if these particular covers would even take on more dye.

Not too big of a deal to me though, as I'm not the biggest fan of camel bone. Unless they can start jigging it somehow...

That pale one looks like it could be called more of a "Bleu cheese bone," considering the paleness with flecks of blue. I kind of dig it, actually, but wouldn't have called it blue.

The moose isn't really doing it for me, and now the Churchill is growing on me. I've learned that I'm not much of a stockman type of person, and two bladed is really all I care to have on a knife. Also, a wharncliffe has proven more useful to me.

Back