Lets talk GEC!

I know that there is inconsistencies when they dye bone, but it seems like GEC is not doing a good job lately whenever they have to dye camel bone. Most of the recent blue camel bone SFO were completely washed out with hardly any blue coloration. If they are going to have so little blue in the bone then they should re-dye them or start soaking them in the dye for a longer period of time. Shouldn't this be a factory second.
View attachment 739665

Is the knife in the photo the one you are referring to as blue? Is the other side the same color?

Was able to nab this one....it seems the deeper blue ones were limited to about 25% of the total.

wdjOg9e.jpg

That is a pretty knife! I wasn't interested in the blue handles, but this one would have changed my mind.

I know that there is inconsistencies when they dye bone, but it seems like GEC is not doing a good job lately whenever they have to dye camel bone. Most of the recent blue camel bone SFO were completely washed out with hardly any blue coloration. If they are going to have so little blue in the bone then they should re-dye them or start soaking them in the dye for a longer period of time. Shouldn't this be a factory second.
View attachment 739665

Maybe they should dye them first and then name them? Ones like this could be culled and sold as "natural bone with blue tint" or something.
Speaking strictly as a customer (and being completely ignorant about what is involved in dyeing bone) an online vendor should be selling a knife such as this with photos of each side, so there are no surprises. Most all that I am familiar with make this their practice.
Whether or not the vendor is happy with what is received from the manufacturer is between them.

Maybe they should dye them first and then name them? Ones like this could be culled and sold as "natural bone with blue tint" or something.
This color might be termed Emperor's New Clothes (ENC) Blue, after the children's story. Only those who are superior in their understanding can see it properly....

Last edited:
What they expressed to me at last year's rendezvous was that not only is camel bone more dense than cattle bone, but it is also much more inconsistent in it's densities - which explains the different dye jobs from knife to knife, and even on individual covers.

I agree though, that I'd prefer the pale samples to be dyed again or longer so that they're more saturated with the specific color. What I don't know (but may try to ask) is if these particular covers would even take on more dye.

Not too big of a deal to me though, as I'm not the biggest fan of camel bone. Unless they can start jigging it somehow...

I don't understand the camel bone thing either. The only one that really caught my eye was the black dyed version, which was more of a mottled grey.

To each his/her own, though

I only have one knife in camel bone. The vendor showed pictures of both sides of each knife on the website, and I chose it because I liked the washed out look of the dye. As I understand it, the density of bone makes it less likely to absorb dye, so I figured I had the strongest one! :D

"Brown"
#18 camel 1.jpg
I know that there is inconsistencies when they dye bone, but it seems like GEC is not doing a good job lately whenever they have to dye camel bone. Most of the recent blue camel bone SFO were completely washed out with hardly any blue coloration. If they are going to have so little blue in the bone then they should re-dye them or start soaking them in the dye for a longer period of time. Shouldn't this be a factory second?
View attachment 739665

I agree though, that "blue" knife has very little blue in it, and the surface has a rougher looking texture to it. (though that might just be the photo) I'd be disappointed if I was expecting a smooth blue covered knife.

Last edited:
I'd be disappointed if I was expecting a smooth blue covered knife.
I agree. I can understand a knife being "faded" "river washed" or "pocket worn" brown (or even tan) in this color, but like you say it isn't blue. I don't really understand how tan can be represented as blue, at least not with a straight face. I would also be very disappointed indeed.

Last edited:
Yes that was what most of the "Blue" camel bone SFO's looked like. The other side was matched to the front.
Most were in deep Blue? A post about said only about 25% of total. update: Sorry, I misread. I understand you. Thanks for your comments.

Yes that was what most of the "Blue" camel bone SFO's looked like. The other side was matched to the front.
There are a few left that are a little darker than yours but I would still prefer a deeper blue that what is still available.

Back